Author Topic: Rigging Lund Impact with 998,798, Ethernet,Quadrabeam,Terrova I-Pilot US2, TS3  (Read 8242 times)

Offline trackfish

• Unit(s): 998,798, Terrova I-Pilot
  • Accessories: Ethernet,Terrova I-Pilot, XNT-9-QB-T
Hello,
I'm finally buying a boat and am looking for some feedback on rigging the electronics.  The boat will have Ethernet, the plan is to run a 798 at bow with TS3 switch for both Quadrabeam at transom and US2 on Terrova; 998 at console.  I will be able to turn off Transducers via the units to ensure I do not get any interference correct?  I'm also thinking about having them drop some Ethernet cable for the 360 technology while the floor is up, weather Sense is also on the table? anyone use it?   Also does it make sense to get the 989 with 898 for $3500 giving me an extra XHS 9 HDSI 180 T transducer for a rainy day or stick with the 798 and 989 for $3050 with a Tranducer that would not be used.  I realize that I could order the 989 unit without a Transducer and use the one that comes with the 898 for $3340.  Also has anyone bought from Universal Mania? Very competitive pricing vs the dealer. 
All thoughts, advice, negative and positive appreciated.
JD

« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 10:58:13 PM by trackfish »

Offline wolfs4evr

• Unit(s): 898c SI / 798ci HD SI
I had horrrrrrible noise problems using the Terrova (2011 24v 80lb 60" Terrova) US2 TD and 798 on the bow and eventually 100% gave up on it after months of messing around (Tons of phone calls to HB and MK that never fixed a thing for me).  Plus all that interference/noise was going across the ethernet to my console mounted 898 and making a mess out of it's screens.  I just ended up removing the cable for the US2 from the head of the unit down power cord so it was out of my way and ran a transducer shield and saver bracket and the oem 798 TD on the TM.  MUCH happier.  Plus I have SI and DI up on the bow showing me exactly what is under the bow verse a view of what is under the motor 17 feet behind me.  Being able to share the TD via the Ethernet is a very nice feature but if you want to see stuff exactly below the fisherman having a TD up front and in the back is the way to go.  To reduce TD interference I switch my console to the 798s transducer on the TM when I am on the bow.  This still allows whomever is in the rear to see SI and DI without interference.  I rarely ever use the 800 frequency so the bow TD not being 800 capable is no biggie.

This post got sidetracked from it's original intent but eventually you will some pictures and posts in it that might help you decided.

http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index.php?topic=3692.0
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 11:00:49 PM by wolfs4evr »

Offline trackfish

Wolfs,
Thanks for the feedback, I have noticed some talk of interference with the Terrova's US2, I was planning on using the trolling motor choke that Hummingbird makes, I'm not sure if this would help out?  I do like the idea of mounting a SI TD on the motor as you have.  I may have to sleep on it.  I'm hoping to finalize my plan by the weekend.   
JD

Offline wolfs4evr

• Unit(s): 898c SI / 798ci HD SI
As most will say bigger is better but imo the 798 is awesome on the bow.  It is a much much much brighter display and though smaller than the 898, like you are pondering for the bow, it does provide a excellent view of what is happening below if one is fine with a single item display (verse having SI/Sonar/DI on the screen at the same time).  If I was to do it over again I would go with a 1198 for the console and stick with the 798 up front.  The 1198 has the same type of display as the 798 (LED Backlight) and is brighter/crisper than the 898 or 998 with CCFL backlight.  Up front I am never holding my hand up to block the sun to see but constantly have my hand up blocking the sun to see my 898 display.

Another advantage of the 798 is the quick detach base.  Mine is always removed and stored in a compartment when traveling and having the quick disconnect base plate makes it a snap to remove/store.

I do think the HDSI transducer may be a pinch better than the CSI transducer.  I was going to trade in my new unused CSI for a HDSI but didn't.  Regretting that now.  I believe it was somewhere close to $100 trade up that you can do if the one you are wanting to trade in is new and unused.  Vertical fishing I can see my jig/drop shot much better off the rear of the boat using the 898/HDSI transducer than what I can see up front using the 798 and CSI trandsucer.

Offline trackfish

Now I'm thinking about mounting a SI transducer on the trolling motor, seems like SI imaging wouldn't get a lot of play upfront, more sonar use?  What kind of scans can you produce while rotating the trolling motor? is is a good way to scan for structure? could you produce close to a 360 image? 
Thanks!

Offline ITGEEK

• Unit(s): 1198c -Team Watters SS - Lexerd SP
  • Software: 7.670
  • Accessories: XM Weather - Weathersense
My advice for you would be to take baby steps.
You are thinking about a lot of different things all at once, maybe too much.
I would say to cross one bridge at a time.
You are not going to know what kind of interference issues you have until
you hook up a single sonar, then test it.
Then test the multiple units together.
Different boats have different types of interference problems.

I would buy one unit (the best you can afford with the biggest screen) at a time, then
familiarize yourself with it.  Check with interference with your other
electrical devices on the boat (main motor, trolling motor).

Then get another unit later.

The jury is still out on the 360.  It may just be a bulky, heavy, piece of crap.  We won't
know how good or bad it is until the Fall of this year.

Weathersense is just a barometric pressure reading at your boat that keeps track of the trend.
Nothing really fancy about it.  It works pretty well.

I have XM weather which is fantastic.

A few people here have bought from Universal Mania.
I think most have been happy.
One guy had a problem with a new unit from them and they told him to
call Humminbird.  Don't do that.  If you buy a new unit from them and
it has a problem, insist that they replace it.

Good Luck.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 08:08:26 AM by ITGEEK »

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
ITG has posted a very good guideline.
As with any project you layout a plan and set steps to accomplish.
Itg has it right: create only one problem at a time. ::)
You will end up with a great working system

Chuck

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
trackfish,
As you can probably tell; you need to think your whole system through a little more here.  ITG is right in that you will not know if you will even have any trolling motor interference issues or if the trolling motor choke kit or any other effort will fix it if you do.

It seems that you are pretty firm on an Si unit for the console.  I would wait and figure out which one you want based on which model sonar you get for the bow – that is if you are limited in funding.

For the bow I would not get the 798ci HD Si unit unless you want to see Si sonar off the trolling motor – which can be quite a good thing.  If you are not going with Si sonar off the trolling motor than I would look at the 788ci HD unit for the 2D sonar.  You can still Ethernet connect this unit to your console Si unit.  Other options include other Si and non-Si units that have larger displays.

The 798/788 and 1100 series units do use a brighter LED backlit display than do the 800/900 series units.  This may factor into you decision as well.

Another bit here to muddy up the decision making waters: you may want one of the DI units at the bow instead of a full Si unit.  The 788ci HD DI, 858c DI, 958c DI and 1198c DI units can all be networked to your console mounted Si unit (although cannot share sonar).

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
In then planning process make your plan to install the devices individually. The whe you get the working start to think about networking them.
You will save some head aches if you do this..
You  might take some time to search this forum  on  things like networking, interference, chokes, wiring, for previous issues with each of these names.
And of course others as you think of them.
You are in  the front row for what you want to do and have the time to plan this ahead.
By searching and getting information  yhou will get ideas that will make your installation a great experience. And think of what you will know by doing this..
Chuck

Offline trackfish

Thanks for all the feedback, this forum is really something else.  I will definitely be putting on the breaks to clear my head and regroup.  I will take a hard look at the 1198 at console.  I will be fishing rivers and dams that have a lot of structure and wood as well as Green Bay. Being able to share scans across units would be a plus but if a 788 hd or DI makes more sense for up front vs 798 I can live with getting just the sonar data from the bow at console unit.   I also plan on doing a lot of trolling for musky and walleye.  Is there any consensus that a quadrabeam at transom or possibly at trolling motor would make sense?  I will be using the terrova to do the steering much of the time with a kicker on the back. 
Again thanks for the feedback, I will keep you up to date as to what decisions I make and the results on the water.   

Offline LBloch

• Unit(s): 998c SI, 958c
  • Software: 6.18
I have a Lund Pro V 1875 IFS with a 998 on the console and a 958 on the bow.  If you're considering a 1198 for the console make sure it will fit on your dash.  I think the 1875 ProV and the Impacts have a similar dash.  The 998 just fits, I'm not sure a 1198 would fit.  I used a Ram swing arm mount and like I said there is not a lot of extra room.  There's probably a way to do it, there usually is with stuff like this.  I don't have DI on the 958, just 2D. I also have a Terrova US2 and I think I have a interference problem too, there is lots of info out there about dealing with it and it's something I will work on.  I do ethernet the two units and I like the waypoint sharing a lot. I am still trying to get the high speed transducer tweaked just right to get 2D readings at high speed on the 998, I have an idea that I'm going to try to set the 2D transucer back a little bit and see if I can get it better.  Go with the biggest screen size you can afford and take it slow like the others have posted. I steer all the time with my Terrova while trolling with my kicker and that works well. I just turn the 958 off while I do that, although if I get the interference figured out I will probably use it more. Don't know much about all the quad beam stuff, can't help you there. Good Luck!  It's kid of a process to get things figured out with all this new technology, but its fun too.

Lee

Offline ITGEEK

• Unit(s): 1198c -Team Watters SS - Lexerd SP
  • Software: 7.670
  • Accessories: XM Weather - Weathersense
I do a lot of trolling myself, and I have an 1197c on my console.
I'm not much of a Bass fisherman, and I don't use a front bow mount motor at all.
So, the 1197c is the only unit I have.
I also bait fish from time to time.
I spend most of my time sitting at mission control, which is my console.
My best advice would be, if you can swing it:
Get the 1198 for your console and find a way to install it there.
It has a nice fast processor and a bright screen in sunlight.
Ram mount makes a lot of options nowadays, so you will be able to
install it after doing some research.  Find out the exact dimensions of the unit
and take your time and do some measurements of your console, and figure out
how to make it work.  You will be happy you did in the end, trust me.

You can't beat the big, bright screen, especially if you will be using a map and
sonar split screen.

Fish with just this unit for awhile and see if it is lacking in anything else
you want it to do.
It will take you time to dial in the unit, research and install any wanted software updates, get used to the side-imaging/down-imaging, 2d sonar.
If you do any sonar recording, you will have to use a PC and install software on it to view the
recordings.
You are also going to have to make some decisions as to where to install the transducer.
It will take you some time, and probably a little bit of frustration to tweak out this system for the best performance.

There will be a learning curve associated with any new sonar, which only time on the
water will allow you to dial it in correctly.

Then, if needed, expand your system from there.

Good Luck.

PS.  I have a feeling that next year, Humminbird may come out with a new, better unit
than the 1198 to compete with Lowrance's Gen 2.  Just a feeling, not based on any facts.
I figure I'll be ready to update then.  It's always scary, sinking a lot of money into a unit,
then having something new come out in a few months.  Just a heads up.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo