Author Topic: Antennae Galor  (Read 2669 times)

Offline tambrose76

• USMC Ret.
  • Unit(s): 898c, 737, WIDE ONE, SUPERTRAP30, PORTAB
  • Software: ALWAYS UPDATED
  • Accessories: GPS16 WXSENSE
Antennae Galor
« on: January 29, 2016, 12:44:17 PM »
I have two old white AS GPS Receivers but do not know if an upgrade in hardware or locator software is needed.  One is marked Accessory System with the 737 and one with the 898CSI is instead a GR50. The 737 must be using the old GR16 with unknown accuracy.

I see that the PRECISION, CI, GRP, GPS HS Receivers abound. Of course, all receive overhead satellite (hereafter, Birds)signals.
http://www.humminbird.com/bluewater/Product-Category/Accessories/GPS-Receivers/

The 2014 HB Accessory Guide says the GRP works with my 898CSI and will give me 2.5 meter accuracy as long as I have software >6.300.
The HS and CI are for other units.

I take it that antenna height is imperative, as is line-of-sight to the overhead Birds. The stated 2.5m accuracy must be over water with nothing seen 360-deg on the horizon.  Also, getting a "3D" enhanced lock for GPS with these antennae is not specified; how many Birds must I see at the horizon on a large lake in order to get the best triangulation--hence, best accuracy.  Overhead Birds only yield time and altitude; not so much for positional accuracy. The 898 manual says I am aok if I can see as low as 10-deg above the horizon.

Do I need a better antenna for the 898 to replace the GR50, such as the GRP?  Both listed in the 2014 HB Accessory Guide pg 25 and 27 seem to show a difference as WAAS with the GRP, and THAT is only good if one receives the corrected WAAS signal, so that must mean the newer HB [GRP] antennae have an extra or different receiver built inside. WAAS is GPS-like but not the original Bird GPS signal.  Does the updated software in my locator now show WAAS Birds on the GPS Diagnostic View? My 898 manual says ENHANCED means I am getting WAAS into the unit (pg 84) but which Birds will be noted in the display as WAAS, to depict their location closest to the horizon for most accuracy; or should I just take the ENHANCED plus positional error and forget the whole thing. It seems the govt website shows the right Birds:
http://www.nstb.tc.faa.gov/RT_WaasSatelliteStatus.htm

GPS plus WAAS appears to be an accurate system for location identification, but how about adding in GLONASS? Good article:
http://www.faculty.sfasu.edu/zhangy2/download/WAAS_GLonass_GPS_area.pdf

Are there amplifiers made for Humminbird GPS antennae?  Seems to me that the incoming antenna signal would be processed and then fed by wire to the locator as some digital format; a homebrew 12vdc amplifier setup would, instead, have merit if an external RF antenna and amplifier combination saw the sky signal, processed it as GPS, WAAS, GLONASS, and them somehow coverted it to the [NMEA?] format to run down a spliced wire into the locator. That would yield a 20% faster lock and maybe a 5% increase in accuracy.

Just overthinking.... 5% won't make the fish bite.
"Some men see things as they are and say why.
I dream things that never were and say why not." --George Bernard Shaw

Offline Bob B

• Unit(s): 1197c si, 1198c si
  • Software: 6.310, 6.490
Re: Antennae Galor
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 07:04:23 PM »
I think the GR50 and GRP are going to have similar accuracy ...... The GPS that will make your fishing experience better is the heading sensor gps (AS GPS HS).  You will be able to see accurately which direction the boat is pointed no matter how fast you are going ..... even sitting still.  It is much easier to return to a waypoint using it.

I think the actual GPS accuracy of the heading sensor GPS is similar to the GRP ad GR50.
**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Offline bobcoy

• Unit(s): 1197 & 1198
  • Software: 6.640 & 7.670
  • Accessories: iPilot-Link,GRHA GPS-HS,ETH 5PS
Re: Antennae Galor
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 10:23:17 AM »
You seem very knowledgeable on GPS so I will not address any of the technical stuff. I doubt you will be able to tell the difference between any of the mentioned pucks. With the exception of the HS puck which provides low speed(under.5mph) heading. Your 16 channel will be slower to lock up and with any amount of interference or poor position relative to objects in the boat will be less accurate. Your older unit will have too slow a possessor to handle the faster sample rate for the HS. Bob
I will add; I have seen very poorly positioned pucks that still get an enhanced status. However if positioned relatively clear of things There will be a better fix.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 10:28:03 AM by bobcoy »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo