Author Topic: interlink questions  (Read 3328 times)

Offline muller2357

• Unit(s): 997 & 737
  • Accessories: weathersense, interlink
interlink questions
« on: October 26, 2011, 11:26:16 PM »
been troubleshooting my system seems like i have it working but still have some questions.  there are many posts about this but everyones situation seems a little different.  hopefully greg can clear some things up for me    i have a 997 with 4.750  at console with a weathersense between it and the interlink on port 1
have a 737 with 4.760 on bow in port 2 on link  and the gps antenna running to the interlink
everything worked fine for the longest time then units stopped recognizing the interlink  would just show disconnected  or occassionaly would connect for a minute or less and then disconnect
saved all console nav data to sd card then cleared all nav data from both head units  reconnected system and interlink came online  i then cleared all nav data off the interlink      reloaded nav data to console unit from sd card and from there used interlink to move all nav data to the bow  no problems   cycled power several times and everytime system works fine   will test it on the water this weekend   

now for some questions
1) if i update the 997 to latest software 5.840  and the 737 to 4.960  will i experience interlink issues?
2) does running gps through the interlink first slow down refresh speed or affect accuracy at all?
3) i have read that saving waypoints to humminbird pc as gpx files will make corrupted files more obvious....what will tip u off to a corrupted file?  (i think that is the root cause of my problem)
4) should i be keeping waypoints on the interlink or only on the headunits?

thank you for your help

Offline ITGEEK

• Unit(s): 1198c -Team Watters SS - Lexerd SP
  • Software: 7.670
  • Accessories: XM Weather - Weathersense
Re: interlink questions
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 11:19:00 AM »
Muller,
I don't know squat about interlink.

I did have a problem with my unit, that I think was a corrupted Waypoint.
The unit froze up on me and would only allow two buttons to be pressed,
then I couldn't do anything.

You don't have to save your DATA.HMR file to .GPX format, HumminbirdPC
automatically converts it for you when you open up DATA.HMR.

I had really old Waypoints in my file and I also had about 3 sets of
Waypoints with the exact same name.

After fixing my DATA.HMR file, then installing a previous version of the software,
then installing the newest version and, clearing out all Waypoints from my
unit, then letting them load back in from the SD card, then
it worked OK.

I was at a point of sending my unit into HB, so it was a last ditch effort.
I didn't know precisely that it was a corrupted Waypoint.
My unit checked OK in the system status screens, so it was all I
had left to try and do.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 11:22:57 AM by ITGEEK »

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Re: interlink questions
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 09:53:41 AM »
Muller,
Sorry but I have been on vacation and am only know getting a chance to review this board (only because our e-mail server is down!).  To answer your questions:

1)  I certainly hope you don’t.  I would update the software using the directions here:
http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index.php?topic=3216.0

2)  Yes, running the GPS data through the InterLink will result in a slower refresh rate (accuracy should be the same).  Having a GPS Receiver directly connected to each unit will allow the faster refresh rate.

3)  When you upload the GPS data to the memory card it gets converted to our DATA.HWR file format.  If HumminbirdPC detects corrupted waypoints it will display a message alerting you to this.

4)  If a waypoint is set to be shared via the InterLink, it is also saved internally in the InterLink and also the second unit.  The only way to keep waypoints saved on just the two units would be to set both units to not participate in the InterLink system – not sure why you would need the InterLink than.  You can save the waypoints only on the InterLink by connecting up and operating the InterLink to at least one of the units and than resetting the participation level of each unit to stop participating in the InterLink.  This would result in the waypoints being saved on the InterLink but you would not be able to access them as the units are not participating in the InterLink network… again I don’t know why you would need the InterLink than as waypoints could be shared between units by using an SD memory card.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo