Author Topic: What is numbers of right and left thru-hull transducers, and Y cable for them.  (Read 8359 times)

Offline stevemc

• Unit(s): 997
I have a 45' trawler with twin diesels, props and rudders, and I have a 998c si, that came with a transom mount transducer.  I was told I would need a right and left transducer, seperate, and a Y cable to connect both.  I used to rig big boats, and I definetly agree that I need 2 seperate transducers for it to work right.   I have done searches here, but I cant find a number, and dont seem to be able to find it anywhere.  Anyone know the numbers of these transducers?  And is the Y cable, the regular Y cable?  I will save the transom mount to make a towfish.  Thanks in advance, Steve in Sarasota.

Offline Colt45

• Action Craft
  • Unit(s): 998csi
  • Software: Navplanner
  • Accessories: Dual Beam
I'd love to have an answer to this one also!  My boat is not 12 ft wide but due to clutter on the transom two side transducers and one down would be perfect - IF Humminbird makes such a rig.

Offline newkid4si

• Unit(s): 998c si
  • Software: v 5.70
stevemc & Colt45

I don't know the answer but the person that can help you is HB Greg.
   He will probably be here Monday.

Mike

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
You can also go to the HB web site and select products then transducers and afterwards accessories.  This will give you the part numbers of the transducers and cables.
You can look at the specific products (units) and that will also help you get what you need.
It is easy to find..

Chuck

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
https://www.google.com/url?q=http://store.humminbird.com/products/460964/AS_SILR_Y&sa=U&ei=thn6T_WvJqrr0gH3nOy-Bg&ved=0CAcQFjAB&client=internal-uds-cse&usg=AFQjCNHAJmK1jTcgNR3AtpPLlcBGrf164g

Actually you use two identical si transducers mounted left and right and then with the AS SILR Y cable hook them to the unit.
Of course this requires you to purchase a second SI transducer..

Chuck

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
stevemc & Colt45

I don't know the answer but the person that can help you is HB Greg.
   He will probably be here Monday.

Mike

Sorry guys, but on Monday I was still drifting around the house on pain killers… I pulled something in my lower back again – dang this getting old isn’t as much fun as I hoped it would be!

Steve, are you looking for a second transom mount transducer (XHS-9-HDSi-180-T) or are you looking for two of the true Thru-Hull HDSi transducers (XPTH-9-HDSi-180-T)?
The left-right y-cable is the AS-SI-LR-Y cable that Chuck posted.

Colt45, are you needing two HDSi transducers plus a third transducer for the 2D sonar?
Normally the 2D sonar comes from the right Si transducer.  If you need a third transducer for the 2D sonar than you need either a transom mounted DualBeam transducer (XNT-9-20) or an inside-the-hull DualBeam transducer (XP-9-20) plus an additional AS-Si-DB-Y cable.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline Colt45

• Action Craft
Greg, I centainly understand the lack of 'fun' in getting older.  I'm 70 and beginning to feel it.  Hope you get better soon.

On my Action Craft 2020 there are large metal trim tabs on each outboard corner.  I had to mount the SI transducer on the port side step just inboard of the tab so it shoots under the tab. Works good.  Unfortunately, the stbd side does not give a good view, probably because of the engine and the stbd tab.  I have a 2D thru hull mounted in the keel just fwd of the notched bottom/drain plug.  It seems to work ok at slow speed but I had hoped to get a better reading at 30+mph, but alas, no joy.

What would be ideal is two SI transducers, one port one stb, and a cable to join them so the HB "thinks" it's looking at one transducer.  Thus, anything on the transom, such as engine foot, trim tabs, etc, would be ignored.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Colt45,
At the rate I am going I won’t be around to see 70!  :o

Did you test the inside-the-hull transducer at different boat speeds prior to epoxying it in place?  You may be able to pop the one you have installed loose and re-install it.

Sounds like you could use a second XHS-9-HDSi-180-T transducer plus the AS-SI-LR-Y cable.

Offline Colt45

• Action Craft
I think the issue with the thru hull is that it has a "lip" around the edge on the outside that may be causing turbulence as it's not flush with the hull.  I used 3M 5200 not epoxy.  What would be nice is a thru hull that fits flush like a flat head countersunk screw.

So you think a 2nd SI mounted on the stbd side and connected with the Y cable you mentioned would give me good reading on both sides?  Now that would be great - and avoid having to idle back and forth in a salt water creek.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Colt45,
We used to have a Flush Mount DualBeam transducer.  It was called the XFM-9-20 but I cannot find it on the Humminbird web site.  You could call our Customer Resource folks to see if we still have them or not.

We do not recommend using the 3M 5200 for inside-the-hull transducer installation.  We recommend using a marine grade slow cure two-part epoxy.  This is what we package with our inside-the-hull transducers.

As for the second transom mounted HDSi transducer; I’m going by what you had posted: “What would be ideal is two SI transducers, one port one stb, and a cable to join them so the HB "thinks" it's looking at one transducer.”.  If you have a mounting location on your boat that would allow the right Si sonar to work than this is what you are looking for.  Otherwise you would have to look at possibly getting one or more of the true Thru-Hull XPTH-9-HDSi-180-T transducer (if they would work for your boat).

Offline Colt45

• Action Craft
Greg,
Since the hole in the bottom (2" dia) for the thru hull was precisely drilled to fit the transducer there did not seem to be any point in testing prior to sealing as there would be no way to 'move' the hole anyway.  The unit has a lip on the outside and a flanged nut (with gasket) on the inside.  The only purpose of the 5200 is to make it water tight not secure in the boat.

I'll let you know how that stbd transom mount and Y cable work out.

I used to fish Lake Eufaula a lot when in the bass circuit but haven't been there in several years since switching to salt water.  We hope to get up there this fall for some crappie fishing and may just stop by Humminbird for a tour.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Doh!  I understand now…  I was thinking inside-the-hull transducer: disregard what I said about this transducer, the 5200 is great for sealing the hole and with these types of transducers there really is no testing prior to installation.  It sounds like you already have the flush mount transducer as it requires a 2-inch mounting hole.

If I’m here, and can do so, I’d be happy to take you on a tour of the plant!

Offline Colt45

• Action Craft
Actually, the transducer is not really "flush" though that's what it's called.  I can't find my purchase order but it looks like the XFM-9-20 pictured on the "thru hull transducer" search results.  It's that flange or lip on the outside of the hull that seems to be causing the turbulence.  I'll let you now how my changes work out.

Offline stevemc

• Unit(s): 997
Just got back on here.  I did find out I needed 2 of the plastic XPTH 9 HDSI 1801 transducers, and a Y cable AS SILRY .  Humminbird said I needed Y cable AS SIDBY , which I know is wrong.  Thanks for all the help guys!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo