Author Topic: New 798si ci HD with problem.  (Read 5147 times)

Offline jbentham84

• Unit(s): 798ci si HD
  • Software: 6
New 798si ci HD with problem.
« on: November 05, 2012, 12:25:40 PM »
I just bought this unit last week and got it installed this weekend. I took it out yesterday to do some fishing and it's amazing! I absolutely LOVE it, and couldn't stop playing with it. Worked extremely well, and I'm a happy customer. There's only one problem with it, on the LCD screen there is a black line that runs vertically on the back side of the glass. It's about 1/8" wide and it cuts off part of the screen. When ever there is a decimal in the depth (I.E. 15.5') anything after "15" is cut off behind that black bar. The screen IS functioning behind that black bar and if I look at it from an extreme left angle I can see the screen underneath the bar. It's almost as if this "bar" is printed on the back of the glass and is supposed to be under the plastic housing but it's not on mine.

Has anyone seen this before? I would take a picture but I don't have my boat at my house and with out the screen on it's hard to see.

I would love to avoid sending the unit in as there is only two more weeks of open season at my local lake and I'm going to try and get out as much as possible. I guess I could send it in after that, but I called Humminbird tech support this morning and they told me to send it in but the guy on the phone also didn't seem to understand what I was the problem was either.

Also on a side note it doesn't seem quite right to have to pay for shipping the until back to them when it's a $1k unit that's four days old.....  :o

Thanks for the help ahead of time!

Edit: I was able to get a picture of the unit while off that shows this black bar. Notice the lack of it on the left hand side.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 01:07:32 PM by jbentham84 »

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Re: New 798si ci HD with problem.
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 01:16:08 PM »
I guess that I am not understanding what you are describing either, nor am I seeing it in the picture you posted.

You can call the Humminbird Customer Resource folks back and request a pre-paid shipping label but would either have to wait for it to arrive (if sent via USPS) or use it when you receive it if sent through e-mail.  Personally I would use the unit until after the open season and then call them, get the label via e-mail and then send it back.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline jbentham84

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 01:23:27 PM »
Ok do you see the black bar running vertically on the right hand side of the screen, where the screen meets the plastic? So that is cutting off part of the LCD screen. It cuts off a digit of the depth. The screen is working behind that bar. If I look at the screen from an extreme left angle I can see the screen underneath the black bar. Should the LCD screen not fill the glass? Like pictured here:

So if you look at that stock image on the right hand side it says "Right 53" with a white gap before the plastic? So mine wouldn't have that gap it would be covered up by the black bar. Or in the bottom right of that stock image where it says "W 082°48.222'" Well mine wouldn't show that last "2'" because it's under that black bar that you can see in that photo that I posted.

Look at the differences between the black border on the left hand side vs the right hand side of the screen here:

Does that make more sense?

« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 01:28:18 PM by jbentham84 »

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 01:56:18 PM »
Yes it does make more sense and I think I understand what you are saying: it looks like the display has been shifted to the right a little too far.  I just don’t understand how it could have gotten put together like that as I did not think there was enough extra room to shift the display over on these.  That will have to sent back in to be taken care of.  If you can get of picture of it with the display working and then mark up the picture; the Tech will be able to understand what is going on easier.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline jbentham84

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 02:00:53 PM »
Yes exactly! It's like it has been shifted somehow. Ok I will try to get a picture with it on to help them better understand. I wont be sending it in for a few weeks as I want to use it. Thanks so much for the help Greg!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo