Author Topic: Lost SI and down imaging  (Read 6584 times)

Offline saugerman

• Unit(s): 1197c
  • Software: ?
  • Accessories: none
Lost SI and down imaging
« on: April 16, 2013, 09:25:11 PM »

Had problems with 1197, 2 D sonar ,finally  got that fixed, but know I don't have any Si, or down imaging in the menu to chose from. My pages went from around 17 or soo to maybe 10.  I have not updated since recently. I can't imagine what happened.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Re: Lost SI and down imaging
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 02:41:08 PM »
What is the Transducer Select menu set to?
This may also be called the Connected Transducer menu depending on what software you have in your 1197c Si unit.
Select the Hi-Def Sidescan menu setting if it is not already there.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline saugerman

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 07:02:53 PM »

I believe the transducer is on 83/200 on the sonar. I didn't think any thing had to be changed to go to si or down scan,I thought that was what the y cable was for.
 As you can probably tell, I know very little about electronics. But before ,I had more pages to select from, some for Si and downscan options when I scrolled through the view button.
 Now they are gone, I didn't change anything.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 09:34:43 AM »
Sounds like you are talking about the Beam Select menu.
Scroll down the Sonar menu tab and find the Transducer Select/Connected Transducer menu and set it to the Hi-Def Sidescan setting.

Offline saugerman

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 08:11:18 PM »

Greg, I really appreciate  you helping me out. What I don't understand is shouldn't the SI, and the Down imaging be on the menu key ,even  if you have not selected the right transducer? Also if I chose the high def, side scan transducer under the sonar menu ,won't  that keep me from having my sonar to work ,because  it needs to be set on 83/200 for the sonar to have a reading?
 I really don't know what changed everything ,when  I have not changed a setting on the unit, before I lost the Si and down scan.
 Would you tell me what settings ,that  would work for a guy that fishes mostly in 20 feet of water, and less most of the time?
 Also is the only sensitivity setting for the sonar, the one for fish ID? Is there not a auto setting for sensitivity?
 I have the switch fire set in clear mode is that correct? Any help is appreciated.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 10:27:34 AM »
“What I don't understand is shouldn't the SI, and the Down imaging be on the menu key, even if you have not selected the right transducer?”
No it should not.  The unit will display the correct menus and Views according to what accessories it automatically knows are connected (example: GPS Receiver) and according to some menu selections – like the Transducer Select/Connected Transducer menu.  If a non-Si type transducer is selected, than none of the Side Imaging or Down Imaging menus or Views will be displayed.

“Also if I chose the high def, side scan transducer under the sonar menu ,won't  that keep me from having my sonar to work ,because  it needs to be set on 83/200 for the sonar to have a reading?”
No it will not.  The Hi-Def Sidescan menu setting is for the standard XHS-9-HDSi-180-T (aka “HDSi”) transducer.  It has the sonar elements to allow it to have both the Si and 2D 83/200kHz conventional sonar.

“I really don't know what changed everything ,when I have not changed a setting on the unit, before I lost the Si and down scan.”
I do not know either.  It should have taken a menu change (by you or someone else) or possibly it could have happened during a software update and the unit did not get set back to the factory defaults.

“Would you tell me what settings ,that  would work for a guy that fishes mostly in 20 feet of water, and less most of the time?”
These will vary by user preference and the body of water that you are on.  I would rest the unit back to the factory defaults and start by setting the SI Range at 60 feet or less.  Slow the Chart Speed setting down to closer to what your boat speed is and start adjusting one menu at a time after that.

“Also is the only sensitivity setting for the sonar, the one for fish ID?”
No, the 2D sonar’s Sensitivity menu is shown when you are on the full screen Sonar View and you press the MENU button once (these are called X-Press menus).  If you have set the unit to display the 83kHz 2D sonar frequency, it will also have its own “83kHz Sensitivity” menu which works in conjunction with the Sensitivity menu for the 2D sonar.
The Fish ID Sensitivity is only for the Fish ID feature.
There are also Sensitivity menus for the Si and Di sonar.

“Is there not a auto setting for sensitivity?”
No, this feature was removed.

“I have the switch fire set in clear mode is that correct?”
It could be if that is what you want.  Some like to see every bit and piece of floating debris and small fish signal and will run their units with the SwitchFire menu set to the “Max Mode” setting.  If you like the clearer sonar display that the “Clear Mode” setting gives you, leave it there.

Offline saugerman

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 05:54:26 PM »

Greg, I will set the unit back to factory default setting, like You said, will this not remove the version of soft ware I have  uploaded? I believe it to be 61?? don't remember the last 2 numbers. I know there are newer updated, but scarred to use them.
 Also I failed to tell you that the unit turned it's self off 3 times, the last time on the water. The voltage was showing 13 plus volts, on the unit before  shutting down.

Again thanks for your help.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 11:16:39 AM »
No saugerman, that menu will only reset the menus back to their factory settings.  It will not affect the software that is loaded into the unit.

Check all of your electrical connections between the unit and the battery it is powered from.  All electrical connections should be tight and clean (soldered and sealed preferably).  Be sure to check the fuse and fuse holder as well.
How is the power wired to the battery; straight to it through its own wires or through the boat’s wiring system and fuse panel?
Did the unit only lose power while in rough water, only when the main motor was running or might there be something else that is triggering this?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo