Author Topic: Differences between Helix 9,10 and 999 and 1199  (Read 13643 times)

Offline fishreed

• fishreed
  • Unit(s): 899CI SI HD,1199SI HD, Helix 12 SI GEN3
  • Software: current
  • Accessories: ALL, and a HW ducer for the Helix 12 2D
Differences between Helix 9,10 and 999 and 1199
« on: January 11, 2016, 12:43:02 PM »
With the new Helix series of GPS/SI/ locators coming out..guys like me want to know what are the significant advantages and differences between the 899,999,1199 and the Helix 9 and 10,  other than screen size....simply put....What does the Helix series give me that the pre-mentioned 899,999, 1199 don't???   I can't be the only guy asking this question?

Offline BRUKSHOT

• Unit(s): Looking at buying two Helix 12's
  • Software: not sure
  • Accessories: none yet
Re: Differences between Helix 9,10 and 999 and 1199
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 03:54:15 PM »
Brighter screen, higher pixel count, autochart live, faster processing, just to name a few.  I think Humminbird has a real winner in the Helix series. 

Offline fishreed

• fishreed
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 09:42:14 AM »
Helix  9 has the same vertical pixel @480 count as my 899SI with a 7 inch screen  Auto chart live isn't a big deal and the brightness is negligible along with the speed. what else am i missing? 

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 10:53:14 AM »
HELIX will get updates for a couple years (or more) longer than the xx9...

HELIX processor will utilize those updates more efficiently than xx9 ...

Rickie
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 10:56:11 AM by rnvinc »

Offline N9Phil

• Unit(s): Solix 15 SI - Onix10 CI SI - 1198 CSI
  • Accessories: 80Terova W/ i-Link -- 360
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 05:56:10 PM »
fishreed said: Auto chart live isn't a big deal
 Wrong Wrong Wrong.     I don't have a Helix but I do have an Onix and Auto Chart live is Fantastic.  It allows you to map a lake in real time and once you do this you will be glad you decided to add this feature.  I started with Dr Depth and then Auto Chart pro and  I now use Auto Chart Live . 

Phil
Solix 15 SI  Onix10 CI SI - 1198 CSIAccessories:80Terova W/ i-Link -- Transom 360

Offline fishreed

• fishreed
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 12:07:01 AM »
I'm not into mapping lakes. I spend time fishing . Navionics platinum+ map cards   get me to where I need to go. I rarely fish a lake twice and on big water like Saginaw Bay,  I am only interested  in marking fish and seeing if they are there, if they aren't there,  I move on to another GPS location.  Autochart  can be added at a later date on my 899si but I don't consider it all that important for my needs. I guess it is all about screen size then, I'm looking at the Helix 9 or 10 strictly for an increase in screen size, it looks like in my case there is no significant feature difference in my 899SI and the bigger screen Helix 9 and 10.....other than screen size.    Thanks guys.

Offline Bob B

• Unit(s): 1197c si, 1198c si
  • Software: 6.310, 6.490
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 12:34:39 AM »
The Helix line also has a brighter screen with a higher pixel density.  It has better management of the data boxes to save screen space.  It is the current model and will get future updates longer than the 99 series.

I won't buy a chartplotter again that is in the process of being obsoleted.
**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Offline fishreed

• fishreed
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2016, 02:55:52 AM »
Well Bob, I'm not buying the importance of future  software upgrades.....that is nothing but manufacturer's scare tactic to get you to buy or upgrade to  any  new unit that was technically obsolete when you bought it. My Matrix 97 had software upgrades well after they quit  making it and it still works just fine after 10 years especially with the quadrabeam transducer.    Just because there is no software upgrade doesn't mean any unit is not extremely usable. A good example is: Does that mean my 2014 F-150 Ford Supercrew truck with a steel body is an inferior vehicle as compared with the new aluminum bodied F-150s?  Because somebody has a xx9 unit  does not mean he has an inferior unit just because he doesn't buy or own a  new Helix unit.  If you are  to keep up with buying the latest and greatest in marine electronics or any electronic for that fact,   you would go broke adding to Humminbird's bottom line. If a guy has a really old sonar over 6-10 years old, then upgrading to a new unit regardless of features can be justified.....but other than screen  size a Helix unit  in my opinion has no significant "earth shaking" differences than a recent xx9 unit. This is the question I asked. IT doesn't mean I won't buy one for screen size but if a close out rock bottom deal   comes along on a 1199Si , I would buy that unit over a Helix 10. Now the Helix 12 is another class because it has CHIRP technology but with a heavy duty price tag.  Anyway,   time is on my side.....electronics have huge profit margins for manufacturers at introduction.   

Offline Bob B

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2016, 03:28:38 AM »
Well Bob, I'm not buying the importance of future  software upgrades.....that is nothing but manufacturer's scare tactic to get you to buy or upgrade to  any  new unit that was technically obsolete when you bought it. My Matrix 97 had software upgrades well after they quit  making it and it still works just fine after 10 years especially with the quadrabeam transducer.    Just because there is no software upgrade doesn't mean any unit is not extremely usable. A good example is: Does that mean my 2014 F-150 Ford Supercrew truck with a steel body is an inferior vehicle as compared with the new aluminum bodied F-150s?  Because somebody has a xx9 unit  does not mean he has an inferior unit just because he doesn't buy or own a  new Helix unit.  If you are  to keep up with buying the latest and greatest in marine electronics or any electronic for that fact,   you would go broke adding to Humminbird's bottom line. If a guy has a really old sonar over 6-10 years old, then upgrading to a new unit regardless of features can be justified.....but other than screen  size a Helix unit  in my opinion has no significant "earth shaking" differences than a recent xx9 unit. This is the question I asked. IT doesn't mean I won't buy one for screen size but if a close out rock bottom deal   comes along on a 1199Si , I would buy that unit over a Helix 10. Now the Helix 12 is another class because it has CHIRP technology but with a heavy duty price tag.  Anyway,   time is on my side.....electronics have huge profit margins for manufacturers at introduction.   

Well, I thought the same way you are when I bought my 1197 ..... instead of the 1198 which was the new unit at the time. 
Now, the 1197 won't support the heading sensor GPS or the 360 .... both are things I would like to have.
If I had bought the 1198 instead of the 1197, I wouldn't have to buy a new unit now in order to utilize those things.

The Helix line already has 2 things that the 99 series units will probably not get.... The Autochart Live and the improved data box management which has been a frustration for users for a long time......There will be more things in the future.

Offline fishreed

• fishreed
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 01:14:24 AM »
Bob...but you can add Autochart live as an option for around 150-200 dollars  to all XXX9 units. It's not like you can't it get Bob! How many people like yourself would that be important to make a  HUGE  demand for this  feature. I will bet 75% of the people who own XX9 units don't even know what Autochart live is?   You may think it is important feature but the vast majority of xx9 users couldn't care less.....and I am one of them. Lets put it in automotive terms.......everybody demands power steering and power windows but not many demand heated seats and and built in GPS  unless those features come free with a new car purchase.  Both of the things  you want on the older units are not that big of a deal....the big deal to me is  SCREEN SIZE and anything I get after that is just gravy. I am not in a hurry because I have a wonderful 899 Si, but I'm  going to look at all the dumping of the 1199 Si and xx9 units this spring and if a $800-$900 1199SI deal comes along, I will jump all over it before I pay $1500 for a Helix 10.  Now if a Helix 10 deal come along for say, $1100, yes I will pay the up charge,  but I will Not pay a introductory factory list price of $1499 which is what the Helix 10 is now retailing. Humminbird is going give  the big time retailers a heck  discount to clear out the old xx9 units in order to get purchase orders for the Helix units...in turn the dealers are going pass along the Humminbird credits to to consumers to clear out xx9 inventories  to make room for the Helix line....this is how this  electronics business works! The peak season for marine electronics sales in going to peak around April......if a dealer is still sitting on old xx9 inventory he is going to get crushed financially....the name of the game is to discount the old stuff and get rid of it before you get stuck and have to mark it down even more! You are in the same boat I am but for different reasons. I want a bigger screen and you want Autochart, 360 transducer, etc. Let's both  just wait and hold on to our wallets and see how the pricing game shakes out....time is on our side as we are considered educated buyers who won't buy on impulse...the electronic marketeers know that and as of now they are just raking in the cash on the male ego  who have to  have the latest and greatest and they don't care how much it costs! 
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 01:23:38 AM by fishreed »

Offline Bob B

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2016, 01:24:58 AM »
I think you are missing my points ...... Good luck with your decision

Offline fishreed

• fishreed
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2016, 04:57:36 PM »
I think you might be missing my points. Good luck with your decision too,  but wait until those Helix prices come down. We both have time on our side!

Offline Bubba Canuck

• Unit(s): 1199ci HD SI / 999ci HD SI / 597ci HD DI
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2016, 11:58:22 AM »
Bob...but you can add Autochart live as an option for around 150-200 dollars  to all XXX9 units.

Yes, but the original AutoChart is a royal PITA. It's hard to use, you have to wait until you get home to run the plotting software, and it really doesn't work that well. Whereas AutoChart LIVE is a HUGE improvement - assuming it works correctly (I haven't tried it yet).
14' Lund "Tin Can", 25 hp Merc: $3,000
Humminbird 1199 CI HD SI Combo, Minnokota Terrova with iPilot Link and AutoChart Pro: $5,000
Humminbird 597 CI HD DI Combo: $600
Reaction from other Boats when Fishing: PRICELESS

Offline fishreed

• fishreed
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2016, 04:27:12 AM »
Yes, but the original AutoChart is a royal PITA. It's hard to use, you have to wait until you get home to run the plotting software, and it really doesn't work that well. Whereas AutoChart LIVE is a HUGE improvement - assuming it works correctly (I haven't tried it yet).

Do you want to fish or  are you into lake mapping and cartography? Personally,  I want to fish.....I get to a possible spot via my Navionics card and I see if I got fish on the screen ....if I don't,  I move on. If I do have fish on the screen my new 1199SI, I  store the GPS location on my 899SI  and get to  work  on plan to get them to open their mouths to bite what I'm offering.   Mapping or  fishing is $64,000 question. I prefer to fish rather than map.  Your  opinion might be different and that is perfectly Okay.   

Offline Bubba Canuck

• Unit(s): 1199ci HD SI / 999ci HD SI / 597ci HD DI
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2016, 08:58:34 AM »
Well that's true, but contour maps can definitely help some people fish. And if you're almost anywhere in Canada there are no Navionics or any other maps at all except for a few of the biggest lakes.
14' Lund "Tin Can", 25 hp Merc: $3,000
Humminbird 1199 CI HD SI Combo, Minnokota Terrova with iPilot Link and AutoChart Pro: $5,000
Humminbird 597 CI HD DI Combo: $600
Reaction from other Boats when Fishing: PRICELESS

Offline fishreed

• fishreed
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2016, 12:36:04 PM »
Well that's true, but contour maps can definitely help some people fish. And if you're almost anywhere in Canada there are no Navionics or any other maps at all except for a few of the biggest lakes.

How much time do you plan on mapping  Lakes in Canada? Mapping lakes cuts into your fishing time. Canada has literally tens of 1000s of lakes that won't be mapped in your or my lifetime. All the big lakes in Canada, I E: Lake of the Woods, Rainy, Lake Seul, Eagle, Wabegoon and a ton of others are available on the Navionic map cards.  Map your favorite fly-In lake while you are fishing,  but don't spend all your time depending on a map and mapping technology. As a former walleye pro fishing  the PWT, MWC, MWT, the vast majority of weekend "part time" fisherman could have  the best maps with 1 foot resolution and still not catch fish. Fishing success is not about maps. It is about reading prospective water quickly, scanning for fish on the sonar screen,  and then coming up with a plan and method to catch them. If I find a prospective spot, I troll it quickly and if I don't see fish on  the screen, I  move. Sometimes I check out spots and never touch a fishing rod until I'm convinced I got fish.   Currently,  the U.S. has just  about 99.9% of all land locations and roads  mapped on a GPS navigation units selling  for less than a $100 bucks. Then why do people still get lost? Because you have a map of a lake does NOT guarantee fishing success.  Local fishing advice gets you in the general location and quick sonar scanning either confirms or denies if the fish are present.

Here is an example:  I fished Rainy Lake's  Northwest area for a week last year and I have never been on Rainy Lake in my life. The camp owner wasn't real helpful on fishing locations and that's Ok. I used my 899SI with a Navionics map of Rainy  and with  my fishing ability, I literally GPSed  some  likely spots within 1 mile of camp sitting in my boat at the dock. I  run the side imaging range at 50 feet to side @ 455khz as   I high speed (8-10mph) motored to these spot while visually marking some other spots to fish later.  In less than 1 hour without  touching a fishing rod. I eliminated a couple of spots because I didn't mark fish. On the 3rd spot I found fish and put down a Storm Rattle TOT  crank bait trolling program down and had 4 walleyes  in the box with the biggest at 6 pounds, all in less than 2 hours. Did I mark that spot with GPS way points? Sure I did. Did I depend on a map....kinda. The point of land I found with fish was by visual location.  The next day  I figured there was 2 kinds of walleye here. Deep walleyes suspended at 9-12 foot over 28-32 foot of water with an visual thermocline probably feeding on suspended smelt or ciscoes, perch  or whatever. I made a plan to fish some shallow 12 foot bay water in hopes of catching smaller walleyes but more in quantity.  In summertime July warm water , there is nothing more attractive to a walleye than a violent wiggling 1/4 hot-tot trolled at 1.6 to 1.8 mph.  BINGO......It worked like magic as  we literally were catching walleyes on planer boards as fast as we could put out hot-n-tot baits.   Later I found some deep water (32FOW)  connecting to shallow flats where we targeted Pike. I marked big fish at 18-22 suspended under active walleyes/perch   up top at 9-12 FOW. I then ran deep diving Storm Rattle tots/deep Husky Jerks at a touch deeper  than the same level as the feeding walleye (100-125 feet of line out) and we didn't have many hits (1-3 per hour), but every day we tangled into Pike ranging from 36-42 inches with some 25-30 inch  walleye mixed in for fun!   Did I  have a map? Kinda.......it got me in the general area and I did the rest of the grunt work. Needless to say, I was the only boat in camp catching fish and they all had maps and sonar locators as good as mine. What's my long winded point here:  Fish first and Map Later and make sure you got fish on your sonar screen!  I might also add, I never touched a crawler , minnow or leach the entire week. Am I going back to Rainey Lake ? No....I like the challenge of new "Big" water. This year Lac Seul and Lake of the Woods is on my "challenge list"!  What would I change this year you ask?   I want a BIGGER sonar SCREEN and the 1199SI with a 10.4 inch is just what the doctor ordered with the 899Si doing the GPS plotting work at fullscreen. This is why I will preach forever,  the biggest screen size is the most important thing when considering a new sonar unit. 

Offline Gimp

• Unit(s): 998 HD SI
  • Accessories: i-Pilot Link
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2016, 04:09:16 PM »
I think I am on an entirely different plain then some folks. If I needed to actually catch fish with that much urgency I think I'd take all them fancy rods I built and burn them in a big ritual fire and take up nascar. I can say this, last year I caught more than 3 fish and less than 30,000. I made some pretty spiffy maps, too. Some of them ended up on my handheld GPS and got me on fish while on the ice.

I have over 1,000 lakes within an hours drive of my home. Most of the bigger lakes are on my Navionics chip. I hate fishing those lakes cause they are bigger lakes full of run-and-gunners. Most of the smaller lakes are not on my Navionics chip, and I've mapped quite a few. I usually have these lakes to myself. It's fun. More fun to me than getting "4 walleyes  in the box with the biggest at 6 pounds, all in less than 2 hours.". But that's just MHO.

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2016, 04:48:43 PM »
I think we beat this horse enough.  topic is locked.   Chuck

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo