Author Topic: Loose connectors at back of unit causing power loss  (Read 9052 times)

Offline Bassmar

• Unit(s): 798ci SI ; 898c SI
  • Accessories: Interlink
Loose connectors at back of unit causing power loss
« on: April 13, 2013, 02:15:32 AM »
I have a 898 unit and have noticed that it occasionally powers off by itself. I have traced the problem to the large connector plug at the back of the unit. If I move the wires then the unit powers off. I opened the plug and inserted the individual plugs and tried again. The problem is the two prong connector which I assume is the power plug. It is a loose fit and any movement causes the unit to power off. I reinstalled everything, ensured that the connector screw was tight but the problem persists. Even when running in rought water there is sufficient movement to power the unit off. A friend has a similar problem. Is this just a poor design or is there a problem with my unit. I have had a suggestion to use dialectric grease in the plug to avoid loosing contact but am a bit hesitant as once it is inserted there is no way to get it out again. The unit is still under warranty but sending it back will be a lengthy process. Any advice would be welcome.

Offline matt@reefmaster

• Unit(s): 997
  • Software: 4.75
Re: Loose connectors at back of unit causing power loss
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 05:52:53 AM »
My understanding is that this problem is incredibly common with the Humminbird connectors - power, transducer or - in my case - the GPS antenna. It is very frustrating to say the least. "Poor design" - yes, coupled with a seeming total inability of Humminbird to do anything about, although they have known about this problem for literally years. I'm not sure dialectric grease will help you any - my understanding is that it is actually an insulator, better for sealing gaskets around electrical connections than helping with the electrical contact itself. I have read on other forums that you could try bending the pins in your male connector slightly - but don't take that as a recommendation from me. I haven't tried this myself, too worried about breaking the pins. I did think about alu foil in the sockets, but I haven't tried that either..
Matt
ReefMaster - Waypoint Management and Underwater Mapping Software for Fishermen

Offline Bassmar

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 06:40:00 AM »
Matt

Thanx for the response. The dialectric grease suggestion was proposed to my friend by the techs at the Humminbird agents in SA. But I am still a bit nervous about this. As far as it being an insulator, if you Google it you will find that it appears to be used as both an insulator and conductor  :o. Very complicated and I don't really understand it myself ???
Am curious if someone from Humminbird will chime in about this connector issue. Have not tried their site yet. That will be the next step.

Doc Stressor

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 10:03:01 AM »
I've had good luck (so far) with No Ox ID. This is a conductive grease that has been used in the electronics, power, and marine industries for a long time.

http://www.amazon.com/ounce-A-Special-Conductive-Grease-Antenna/dp/B000YD0O5Y

Making 50 mile or more runs offshore on a regular basis, I've had no end of problems with the Humminbird connectors. The thin pins just wear out from vibration and start making intermittent contact. I put this stuff on the connectors about a year ago and I've stopped having problems.

This stuff is pretty amazing. I put it on my stainless steel through hull bolts and I no longer have  problems with rust stains on my white fiberglass hull.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 01:33:23 PM »
Bassmar,
I would very slightly bend the pins of the power connector away from each other.  So slightly that you cannot really tell that they have been bent at all.  Make sure that there is no power to the power connector while doing this so you don’t risk burning out the fuse.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline Bassmar

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 02:31:15 PM »
Thank you all. I will try bending the pins slightly and have also ordered some of the conductive grease suggested. Hopefully that will solve the problem.

Offline tanman

• Unit(s): 987c SI
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 11:16:29 AM »
Hi, I'm having a similar problem with my 987c Si.
Bassmar I was wondering if the conductive grease and/or bending of the pins worked for you?

Greg, would you also recommend using this conductive grease?

Thanks

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo