Author Topic: Helix 9 g2 Side Image distorted  (Read 3475 times)

Offline browni1983

• Love my birds.... Clearly better
  • Unit(s): 798 CI SI HD, 898 C SI Combo
  • Software: 6.2
  • Accessories: Interlink, barometer, GPS
Helix 9 g2 Side Image distorted
« on: August 10, 2019, 04:13:26 PM »
I have tried adjusting this transducer its a mega. One side remains good its always the drivers side. But the other side is distorted. Now if I turn on max mode they both will show, but the starboard side does not any contour of the lake. 2D is great it will keep the bottom when the boat is on lane at 43mph. Down imaging is great too can see straight down like I'm looking at my shoes. But port side is terrible almost black. I can see side image straight line in in the left plane if I look good.

I have adjusted my jackplate to make sure its not blocking. I had a 798CS SI HD transducer mounted on the same spot at the new (LONG) transducer that I got with the Helix9.

What is wrong here. I have mounted any HB transducers, but this long one is making me question what is going on. Is it being blocked by my motor?
If I use a y cable and add a second transducer will I have to switch transducers to view them both simultaneously? I want to see both sides while I'm slowly moving through.

Will a second transducer draw more power?

Boat is a 06 Triton Sp175 Aluminum W 90hp Merc W Atlas Micro Jacker Jackplate. If you need a pic Ill send one.
One last point I have used the level technique to properly set the down angle. I have tried twisting the port side down by the adjusting screws, still no difference.

HELP!!!!!

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
Re: Helix 9 g2 Side Image distorted
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 09:23:53 PM »
The most definitive test in this scenario can be by temporarily mount the xducer to a stick and immerse it in the water deeper than the boat hull  ...

If the image resolves = the issue is blockage  ...
If the image is still distorted = the xducer or head unit is malfunctioning  ...
-----

Left and right dual SI xducers can be used with the 9 M SILR Y cable  ... Left SI would always come from the port xducer / right SI, 2d and temp would always come from the starboard xducer  ... This does not draw more power  ... The unit does not even recognize that there is a Dual xducer Setup simply because the 9 M SILR Y cable is nothing more than wires that reroute the data channels to different piezoes than normal  ....
https://humminbird.johnsonoutdoors.com/accessories/cables/9-m-silr-y-9-pin-mega-non-mega-si-leftright-splitter-cable

Rickie

Offline browni1983

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 09:45:41 PM »
Rickie, I have a 9M SIDBY cable can I use that or do I definitely need the SILRY cable? Thank you so much for responding!!!!!!

Offline rnvinc

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2019, 09:59:50 PM »
Rickie, I have a 9M SIDBY cable can I use that or do I definitely need the SILRY cable? Thank you so much for responding!!!!!!

The 9 M SIDB Y cable is used with an additional 2d xducer in cases where high speed depth readings are difficult to obtain with the SI xducer  ... With this cable 2d always comes from the additional 2d xducer and left SI/ right SI/ DI / Temp always comes from the SI xducer  ...

The 9 M SILR Y cable is used with an additional side imaging xducer in cases where SI blockage is an issue  ... With this cable left SI always comes from the port SI xducer and 2d/ DI/ right SI/ Temp always comes from the starboard SI xducer  ...

Rickie
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 10:01:04 PM by rnvinc »

Offline browni1983

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 05:30:19 PM »
Went out today after installing the second ducer. Its  a little better but still the same . I have images for you to view.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 06:06:09 PM by browni1983 »

Offline rnvinc

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2019, 09:20:31 PM »
A follow up test may be in order before calling HB  ...

Remove both SI xducers and swap sides on the transom  ...

*If the issue remains in the left SI = the head unit has a problem  ...
*If the issue goes away = the xducer (now on the starboard side) has a problem  ...

Rickie

Offline Mark Saikaley

• Unit(s): Helix12MegSI 3GN
  • Accessories: I-PilotLink,digitrol 5
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2019, 08:12:12 AM »
I have my transducer installed on the driver side of the transom and its on a 1" block so sticks out even further. The combination of the block and the longer Helix xducer results in my lower unit blocking the left side for side imagine. I had a HB 998 xducer installed on the same side on the same block which was not blocked by the lower unit.

My work around was to tilt the motor when trolling so its not an obstruction.  This resolved the issue however I have also noticed that if the boat is tilted down on the driver side the left side signal suffers as well which makes sense but its worse than I would have anticipated as I dont find any issues with the rights side regardless of boat pitch.

Since I have removed other transducers and have a much cleaner transom, I will probably someday remove the block and just have the one xducer attached directly to the transom. I also have some water turbulence issues cause by the block that prevent quality sonar readings or consistent depth readouts above 17 mph even if I try a high speed xducer, so there are additional reasons over the lower unit obstruction to remove the block , however I may truy adjusting the  depth of the xducer down a slight bit first

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo