Author Topic: DIY 360?  (Read 6452 times)

Offline sbeausol

• Unit(s): Simrad NSS9 Evo2 (2x)
  • Software: 18.2
  • Accessories: Stucturescan 3D, Airmar Chirp
DIY 360?
« on: January 10, 2019, 10:55:24 AM »
This maybe the wrong sub-forum, but maybe not...

Has anyone attempted to simply connect a side scan transducer to a servo and create a 360 like image using it?  With the growth of robotics, the idea of having a heading sensor and GPS controlling a servo to rotate a pole at a constant rate isn't very complex.  From what I understand the HB 360 connects via ethernet so maybe that is an issue, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried this.  Just a thought.  I saw this post from years ago, but nothing since... http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index.php?topic=2990.0

What got me thinking about this is my interest in applying side scan sonar to mapping shallow (<10') river bottoms in my drift boat.  However, side scan needs a relatively straight line of travel to be most accurate which is hard to do with oars and obstacles.  A simpler approach may be to just scan 180 degree swaths of the river while anchored up...

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
Re: DIY 360?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 03:14:08 PM »
While it is possible to rotate the SI xducer to "see" things all the way around the boat - the unit will still plot the SI data in a linear orientation in the SI image  ... So one would have to "interpret" location of targets seen in the SI image by the actual visualization of which direction that "left or right" SI piezo was "aiming" when that specific target plotted into the left or right side of the displayed SI image  ...

And the SI xducer must travel thru water such that each successive SI  "thin slice" Sonar ping collects data from a new section of the underwater world (like a MRI collects successive slice pictures of the human body and then "stacking" those "slice" pictures back together creates an image of the whole body)  ...

So  ....it is absolutely possible to do unconventional things with Sonar xducers of any technology - as long as you understand the following  ...

*Shape of the specific Sonar beam being utilized  ...
*Which direction that specific Sonar beam is collecting data  ...
*How the processor normally plots and displays Sonar data from that specific Sonar beam  ...
*How to interpret the Sonar data being plotted into the conventional displayed sonar image as compared to where that actual underwater data is being collected from  ...

Rickie

« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 03:43:00 PM by rnvinc »

Offline Chapaj

• Unit(s): HDS GEN3
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 12:43:49 AM »
Good day! Several people in Russia will do a 360-degree circular scan. They use the LSS2 sensor. Read the forum of Russian fishermen. Google translates from Russian to English.  http://www.rusfishing.ru/forum/threads/sistemy-krugovogo-obzora-dlja-ehxolotov.304575/page-5#post-10112067

Offline sbeausol

• Unit(s): Simrad NSS9 Evo2 (2x)
  • Software: 18.2
  • Accessories: Stucturescan 3D, Airmar Chirp
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 05:29:53 AM »
Wow that's pretty cool. Looks like lowrance supports interpretation of rotating side scan data from their spotlight update a few years back?

Offline Rickard

• Unit(s): 999, 981, M37, LowBird-1, LowBird-2
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 04:12:37 PM »
Hi,
I and a few other sonar nerds discussed sector scanning and 360 degree scanning bout 10 years ago on another board. This was before HB presented the 360 system. Perhaps some of it can help?

http://www.bb.sideimageforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=851&hilit=rotat%2A

Regards,
Rickard

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal