Author Topic: Newbie - Helix 5 KVD - Intro, and questions - particularly mapping and software  (Read 4519 times)

Offline afaust

• Unit(s): Helix 5 SI GPS KVD
  • Software: 7.78
  • Accessories: 32GB micro SD
Hello,

I'm Allan, living in Ottawa Ontario.

I'm originally from NW Quebec. I have a broad background in everything from CAD geological mapping to computers in general, chemistry, and everything in between, simply put jack of all trades, master of none.

I have a Helix 5 SI GPS KVD model that I just purchased a few months ago. After troubleshooting my boat motor and once on the water with the humminbird, I'm up and running. My buddy has a 698 SI and we've been recording tracks every time on the water. I've started doing so as well on the few trips I've been out myself. We will be sharing our information.

I've seen online here a variety of different software names etc, both commercial and free/shareware and have downloaded a couple and I want to get some information to kind of lead me in the right direction.

I eventually would like to purchase Autochart PRO, but other monetary priorities exist first.....
I've tried Humviewer, and I've exported a few tracks to Google Earth.
I've wanted to try DRDepth, to build depth charts, but from what I've read, it was bought out? No longer updated?
I've read about Reefmaster, but at the price, would probably purchase Autochart first.
Lakemaster, in theory doesn't have the lakes I'd be fishing, or not aware of Ontario and Quebec Lake/River maps, so don't see the point of spending the money on that.
Navionics.... well although I like the principle of getting updated maps, I do have an issue with taking my tracks, sending it to them, them mapping it out and then selling my information back to me... seems like I'm doing their job and paying to get my info back (which is why I prefer Autochart).
Humviewer allows me to see my SI info, and although I haven't done it yet, I think I can create waypoints from info I see and export it, so I can go back to the structure I've seen, just do not know how to do it.

I know what I'd like to do in general, just don't know how to go about it.  I want to make my own depth charts that I can use on the helix, and I want to see things on my computer or IPad at home. I'd like to start with trial or "inexpensive" software.

Once a depth chart is created, how can I see it on the Helix??? Do I need to create a specific folder, and will it show up on the chart view?
If I have a track that has some bogus info (seen one track that I created that sends a few points to Africa), is there a software I can use to edit those bad points out?

I guess I just would like a starting point that would allow me to collect and organize my information, and understand the transfers in and out, editing and use on the helix once I'm in the boat. There are a lot of users with a lot of experience here, from the info I've read, but the info I see on Yellowfin, or others in the software section is too vague or above my knowledge for me at the moment to the point where I do not know what it does (yellowfin just an example, there are others). I do not want to reinvent the wheel, but pick your brains to see what you do, why and what works for you.

In hopes to hear from you soon, thank you in advance.

Allan

Offline Bob B

• Unit(s): 1197c si, 1198c si
  • Software: 6.310, 6.490
I can't make an inexpensive software recommendation, but I would recommend keeping a log of your recordings that includes a relative depth offset.  When you go to use Autochart, you can set it up to take that offset into consideration when generating the map........This is especially important for any body of water that varies in depth over a course of time.

This information can be obtained online for some bodies of water, but for others, you may want to have a flat or other specific GPS point that you go to and get the relative water depth for the day you are recording.  Without that info, you won't be able to generate a good map if the water level varies.
**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Offline afaust

Thx Bob for the info. I do have a question with respect to this however. How do I go about doing this? As an example, I know that the Ottawa River (where I have some current tracks) will vary.... and the points I "intend" to fish (at least 3) will have different variences over the course of the year, and they are all within 30 min of each other.

As an example, on current tracks, I'm in a weedy bay that is between 3-6 ft now.... but will dry up considerably in the next 2 months. How would I create this offset you are talking about? A specific "waypoint" and depth measurement at that point? or a few? I just would like further info.

I appreciate the response.

Allan

Offline Bob B

• Unit(s): 1197c si, 1198c si
  • Software: 6.310, 6.490
The easiest way would be if there is online information for the river level......Otherwise, you will just have to find something that works for you.
It would be easier if you always launch at the same ramp.  You could use a GPS coordinate to get a depth reading .... You cold use your initial reading as the standard and then from there on, you would determine how much higher or lower the depth is at that spot than it was the first time.

I am just gearing up to start using mapping myself, but at the small lake I am creating recordings for, I always launch at the same place and there is a large flat near the launch that I set a waypoint to test the depth.

I would be interested in the method others use to keep track of the offset needed......I just know that you can't do an accurate map if you are mapping over a long time period unless you keep track of that relative depth offset.
**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Offline afaust

Thx Bob for your response. After re-reading your original response, it's what I thought I understood. I would launch from 3 points on the river, far enough from one another to have 3 offsets, from the launch point of each area, and probably wouldn't have depth charts in between. I'll select a point in particular, create a waypoint and always go through that waypoint....

Allan

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo