Author Topic: Screen shot and recording  (Read 8367 times)

Offline Ken L

• Unit(s): 598C HD DI-SI
  • Software: 6.460
  • Accessories: none
Screen shot and recording
« on: April 21, 2013, 11:44:42 AM »
I got my unit back fro HB along with a new transducer Friday. Now when I go into views and then to screen shot and recording. To start recording I should be able to press menu again to get to the start recording button but instead it exits back to the operating screen. Do I have to update or refresh the software?

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Re: Screen shot and recording
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 11:49:35 AM »
No, the same software that worked before should work now (there is no software update for the 598c HD Si units).
Did this work before you sent it to Humminbird?
Why did you have to send your unit to Humminbird?
Do you have a memory card installed in the unit when it does this?
Have you tried a different memory card?
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline Ken L

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 01:44:16 PM »
I sent it back to HB because of a bad transducer that was replaced. I have tried two different cards one of which worked before.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 10:14:42 AM »
I’m not sure what is going on than Ken L.  I don’t have a 598ci HD Si unit to try testing for this.  I tried using a 998 unit and start a recording without a memory card in it but all I got was an “Error creating file.  Recording has stopped” message.

Anyone else out there with a 598ci HD Si unit that can try making a sonar recording to see if this same thing can happen?

Edit: When you say that "it exits back to the operating screen", are you meaning the main menu system or the starting screen where it shows the model name of the unit?
Can you try finding a third memory card, preferably a SanDisc brand that has been fully formatted, and try it?
What are the other two memory cards that you have tried (brand, size and speed)?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 10:18:53 AM by Humminbird_Greg »

Offline Ken L

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 02:37:45 PM »
The owner's manual is wrong. I can't stop and start recordings from the views menu but I can access it in a view. The view shows up right after the flasher view. I can start and stop it from there.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 10:30:03 AM »
Guess I am not following you here Ken.
A Sonar Recording can only be started from the Start Recording menu which is only found in the menus shown when the unit is displaying the Snapshot and Recording View.  The Sonar Recording may be stopped in just about any View by accessing the X-Press menus for that View.  The manual states this on page 46.

Offline Ken L

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 01:27:05 PM »
According to the manual,you are correct. Then there's theory and then there's practice. I cannot start recording in the snapshot and recording view. In order to do so I am instructed to press menu once. When I do this I exit out of that view. If I page through the views I can access one that does allow it.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 03:38:17 PM »
Just so we are both on the same page here Ken.  You are going to the Snapshot and Recording View (see first picture below) and pressing the MENU button once and it is going to another View?  You should be seeing the menus shown in the second picture below and with the Start recording menu highlighted you would use the Right Arrow key to start the recording… maybe I can find a 598ci HD Si unit to test this with.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 03:39:33 PM by Humminbird_Greg »

Offline Ken L

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 04:19:03 PM »
I go to,that screen and press them,emu buttons and it returns me to whatever view i was in. If I page through the views I get to a screen that shows something mostly different but the image on the lower right that refers to the memory card is the same. If I press the menu button once I get the menu that allows me to start, stop or delete. I have done this many times to make sure I was describing this correctly.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 04:35:31 PM »
I don’t know what to say here Ken.  I just borrowed a 598ci HD Si unit and it worked to make a sonar recording correctly from the Snapshot and Recordings View.

Any chance that you could post a screen snapshot from the View that you are using to record from?

Offline Moose1am

• Unit(s): 898c si
  • Software: 6.610
  • Accessories: SDHC 8 GB SanDisk Extreme III
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 09:04:48 AM »
I'm not for sure but I have noticed that at times the SD cards are hit when I try to close the door on the compartment and this causes the card to pop out of the socket.  You won't know this until you try to read the SD cards map and find that it's not located by the unit.  And I know I just stuck the map card into the slot and closed the  door.  So I opened up the card reader door and bingo the card had popped out of the slot and was not being read. I had to push the sd card back into the slot until it stayed imbedded in the slot and then try to close the door again without hitting the card.  Finally I got the door closed and  the card was secured in the slot and being read propertly.

So always check the card and make sure it's secure in the SD card reading slots.  And be careful when you try to close the door over the compartment.  This can happen two or three times in a row.

I’m not sure what is going on than Ken L.  I don’t have a 598ci HD Si unit to try testing for this.  I tried using a 998 unit and start a recording without a memory card in it but all I got was an “Error creating file.  Recording has stopped” message.

Anyone else out there with a 598ci HD Si unit that can try making a sonar recording to see if this same thing can happen?

Edit: When you say that "it exits back to the operating screen", are you meaning the main menu system or the starting screen where it shows the model name of the unit?
Can you try finding a third memory card, preferably a SanDisc brand that has been fully formatted, and try it?
What are the other two memory cards that you have tried (brand, size and speed)?

Regards,

Moose1am

Offline Ken L

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 02:06:41 PM »
I haven't done a recording on that memory card but I did do a screen shot and transferred it via that card to a PC. When I say it exits I mean it leaves the menus and goes back to normal operating mode. The issue can't be with the card. The card can't change the way the application works. It could be that it will all work fine despite all this. I will see tomorrow.

Offline Moose1am

• Unit(s): 898c si
  • Software: 6.610
  • Accessories: SDHC 8 GB SanDisk Extreme III
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2013, 09:25:36 AM »
OK thanks. I guess I misunderstood what you were saying.  Sorry.  Have a great day.  Hope you figure out how to fix it. 

I haven't done a recording on that memory card but I did do a screen shot and transferred it via that card to a PC. When I say it exits I mean it leaves the menus and goes back to normal operating mode. The issue can't be with the card. The card can't change the way the application works. It could be that it will all work fine despite all this. I will see tomorrow.
Regards,

Moose1am

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2013, 10:00:47 AM »
Ken ...are you describing that you do not even get the recording Xpress menu to come up with 1 "Menu" button push that Greg's 2nd pic shows...??

Rickie

Offline Ken L

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2013, 01:45:30 PM »
Yes. If I press the menu button when I'm on that screen I go back to normal operating mode. I can record by pressing the menu button in a view that I don't see described in the documentation. As I said, for my unit at least the manual is wrong.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo