Author Topic: HB Greg ? on update process.  (Read 3242 times)

Offline Jim Jack

• My electronics cost more than my BMT
  • Unit(s): 998
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: AS-WX1, AS GPS-HS
HB Greg ? on update process.
« on: February 08, 2013, 01:51:46 PM »
Greg,
Does HB have a recommended procedure for updates? We know restore defaults. Should we start unit then insert sd card with update and complete or start with unit off insert card with update power on and complete? Should we unplug accessories update shut down then restart with accessories attached?

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Re: HB Greg ? on update process.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 03:35:03 PM »
I think that they do Jim Jack but I can’t seem to find it in their FAQs at the moment.

Personally I would do the following:
1.  Unplug all accessories and linking cables.
2.  Connect the unit to a known good power source that will not be interrupted.
3.  Export all Nav data from the unit and save on my computer.
4.  Delete All Nav Data (or perform a Format Nav Directories).
5.  Reset the unit to the factory defaults by using the Restore Defaults menu.  If you have problems remembering how you had your unit set-up, you may want to write down your menu settings before doing this.

Perform the software update and perform a Restore Defaults afterwards, reconnect accessories and reload the Nav Data.  The memory card will have to be installed after the unit is powered up, due to changes in the software.

You should not have to do all of the above but we have heard from some Customers who had problems because of some of these at some times.  As much as the units cost, the pain of having to send them in if the update goes bad and how often you update the software; it really isn’t that big of a deal to go through all of this each time you load new software.  Plus I’m a little paranoid about doing updates to electronics as I’ve had problems in the past (with other products too).
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline RuffWood

• Unit(s): 898c SI, 998c SI, 998c SI, 1199ci HD SI
  • Software: 7.250, 7.510, 7.460
  • Accessories: AS GPS HS, Ethernet, AS ETH 5PS
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 04:48:20 PM »
How do I download Software to a MMC or SD card?

Items Needed: SD Card SD Card Reader
Please read carefully before proceeding. 
You must RESTORE the defaults on your unit BEFORE you perform any software update and we suggest that you disconnect any advanced accessories from the unit (i.e. Weathersense, Interlink, Cannonlink, etc) before going any further.   
How to Restore Defaults: 
With the unit powered on, Press the MENU button twice to the main menu on the system. Then you press the RIGHT cursor until you get to the SETUP menu tab. Once you have reached the SETUP menu tab, use the DOWN cursor until you reach RESTORE DEFAULTS, you will then press the RIGHT cursor key to restore the defaults. To confirm press RIGHT cursor again.
To update with an SD CARD 
1. Log into your account at humminbird.com – My Account (Or register if you have not already done so under the Support section)
2. On the My Equipment page you will see an image of your product, a Description which includes Model name, Serial # and Purchase date.  Available Downloads which typically includes HumminbirdPC, the software for your model and if you have a Side Imaging product, you will also see two son2xtf files.  In the unlikely event that your product image or model number, does not match the product you have registered, immediately contact us and do not proceed until we have resolved this issue for you.  HumminbirdPC is a program which can be downloaded to your computer to help you manage your waypoints and routes, rename them or convert waypoints from another brand locator. 
3. Click on the Download which contains your Model name.
4. You will then get a download dialogue box which provides you with a link to an FAQ relative to changes involved in this download, the Prerequisites for this Download and a link to these instructions.  We highly recommend that you read these instructions thoroughly before you continue this process.  After thoroughly reading these instructions, you can return to the Download dialogue box and click on Download.   Never attempt to Open this file, these files are only to be Saved.   
5. You will need to select to save this file to the SD Card. (The SD card may be listed as a removable disk, removable storage drive, SD).  Do not modify the name of the file, then click on SAVE.
6. After the Download Complete dialog box appears - click CLOSE
7. Remove the SD Card from the card reader.   After removing the SD card from the reader and before powering on the unit, we recommend that you disconnect any Advanced Accessories connected to the unit.  This might include a GPS receiver, Interlink, Cannonlink, etc.
8. Power on your unit, then place the SD card in the unit.
9. You will get a message on the unit saying SOFTWARE NUMBER “123” is higher than your current “120” software do you want to update?, Press the Right Cursor to Confirm.
10. Another message will then appear saying do you want to ABORT, press the Left Cursor to NO at this time and the software update will begin. DO NOT POWER OFF THE UNIT DURING THIS TIME.  If you loose power to the unit during the software upgrade process, it is very likely that the unit will need to be returned to the factory for updating.
Once the update is complete the unit will restart and say current SOFTWARE NUMBER “123” installed, no update required. It is now safe to remove the SD Card, and power off the unit.
11.  Once you have updated the software on the unit, we suggest that you add back your advanced accessories.  If you have an Interlink, we suggest that you first connect to unit 1, power on the unit and allow it to update the software on your Interlink.  After this you may reconnect the remaining advanced accessories.

Here is a short video on this subject.

Offline LittleGazoo

• Unit(s): SOLIX 15 G2, SOLIX 12 G2
  • Software: 3.640
  • Accessories: Ethernet
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 12:20:01 PM »
I think that they do Jim Jack but I can’t seem to find it in their FAQs at the moment.

Personally I would do the following:
1.  Unplug all accessories and linking cables.
2.  Connect the unit to a known good power source that will not be interrupted.
3.  Export all Nav data from the unit and save on my computer.
4.  Delete All Nav Data (or perform a Format Nav Directories).
5.  Reset the unit to the factory defaults by using the Restore Defaults menu.  If you have problems remembering how you had your unit set-up, you may want to write down your menu settings before doing this.

Perform the software update and perform a Restore Defaults afterwards, reconnect accessories and reload the Nav Data.  The memory card will have to be installed after the unit is powered up, due to changes in the software.

You should not have to do all of the above but we have heard from some Customers who had problems because of some of these at some times.  As much as the units cost, the pain of having to send them in if the update goes bad and how often you update the software; it really isn’t that big of a deal to go through all of this each time you load new software.  Plus I’m a little paranoid about doing updates to electronics as I’ve had problems in the past (with other products too).

The above is the way.

I always Restore Defaults BEFORE and AFTER a new software release.

You can start the release update by inserting the SD release update card into a running unit.
You can start by inserting the SD release update into a unit, then power the unit on.
I would always do it the same way which ever one.

I would also do a Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media operation after coping the release .BIN from my home computer onto the SD card to insure all writting-operations have completed.

Offline RuffWood

• Unit(s): 898c SI, 998c SI, 998c SI, 1199ci HD SI
  • Software: 7.250, 7.510, 7.460
  • Accessories: AS GPS HS, Ethernet, AS ETH 5PS
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 02:34:17 PM »
Looks like Humminbird needs to review and update their instructions on their Frequently Asked Questions because this is straight from their web site. Wonder how many more are incorrect and causing problems for customers?

Frequently Asked Questions
How do I download Software to a MMC or SD card?

Items Needed: SD Card SD Card Reader
Please read carefully before proceeding. 
You must RESTORE the defaults on your unit BEFORE you perform any software update and we suggest that you disconnect any advanced accessories from the unit (i.e. Weathersense, Interlink, Cannonlink, etc) before going any further.   
How to Restore Defaults: 
With the unit powered on, Press the MENU button twice to the main menu on the system. Then you press the RIGHT cursor until you get to the SETUP menu tab. Once you have reached the SETUP menu tab, use the DOWN cursor until you reach RESTORE DEFAULTS, you will then press the RIGHT cursor key to restore the defaults. To confirm press RIGHT cursor again.
To update with an SD CARD 
1. Log into your account at humminbird.com – My Account (Or register if you have not already done so under the Support section)
2. On the My Equipment page you will see an image of your product, a Description which includes Model name, Serial # and Purchase date.  Available Downloads which typically includes HumminbirdPC, the software for your model and if you have a Side Imaging product, you will also see two son2xtf files.  In the unlikely event that your product image or model number, does not match the product you have registered, immediately contact us and do not proceed until we have resolved this issue for you.  HumminbirdPC is a program which can be downloaded to your computer to help you manage your waypoints and routes, rename them or convert waypoints from another brand locator. 
3. Click on the Download which contains your Model name.
4. You will then get a download dialogue box which provides you with a link to an FAQ relative to changes involved in this download, the Prerequisites for this Download and a link to these instructions.  We highly recommend that you read these instructions thoroughly before you continue this process.  After thoroughly reading these instructions, you can return to the Download dialogue box and click on Download.   Never attempt to Open this file, these files are only to be Saved.   
5. You will need to select to save this file to the SD Card. (The SD card may be listed as a removable disk, removable storage drive, SD).  Do not modify the name of the file, then click on SAVE.
6. After the Download Complete dialog box appears - click CLOSE
7. Remove the SD Card from the card reader.   After removing the SD card from the reader and before powering on the unit, we recommend that you disconnect any Advanced Accessories connected to the unit.  This might include a GPS receiver, Interlink, Cannonlink, etc.
8. Power on your unit, then place the SD card in the unit.
9. You will get a message on the unit saying SOFTWARE NUMBER “123” is higher than your current “120” software do you want to update?, Press the Right Cursor to Confirm.
10. Another message will then appear saying do you want to ABORT, press the Left Cursor to NO at this time and the software update will begin. DO NOT POWER OFF THE UNIT DURING THIS TIME.  If you loose power to the unit during the software upgrade process, it is very likely that the unit will need to be returned to the factory for updating.
Once the update is complete the unit will restart and say current SOFTWARE NUMBER “123” installed, no update required. It is now safe to remove the SD Card, and power off the unit.
11.  Once you have updated the software on the unit, we suggest that you add back your advanced accessories.  If you have an Interlink, we suggest that you first connect to unit 1, power on the unit and allow it to update the software on your Interlink.  After this you may reconnect the remaining advanced accessories.

Here is a short video on this subject.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo