Author Topic: I pilot link and HB 898c SI Combo - thoughts, comments, suggestions, advice  (Read 11597 times)

Offline MarioFisherman

• FatherWalleye
  • Unit(s): 898 SI Combo
  • Software: 5.7 and 6.610
  • Accessories: I pilot link,
Maybe this topic was posted already.

My intention is to have a platform for discussions re: usage of those both units. How to take advantage of this technology. What to be aware: do and don't. Maybe both units talked in "heavenly language". Thanks again and God bless you

with prayers
Fr. Mariusz "Father Walleye"
Remember a famous fishing tip: "Praying and Jigging"

Offline freezerfiller

• Unit(s): 998c SI
  • Software: ??
  • Accessories: Ipilot link
Make sure Lakemaster offers maps for where you want to use it.   I feel a little duped by the  gulf coast card that was and still is advertised on some sites for release this summer.  http://fishfinders.factoryoutletstore.com/details/20148-57458/humminbird-600019-1.html   It was also unclear that lakes that were not HD, were nothing but blue water with no depth info whatsoever.  If Lakemaster doesnt support where you fish, then you don't need the IP link.  The regular I-pilot will do the same things for less money.  If where you fish is supported by Lakemaster, the follow the contour is pretty cool.  I'm still learning but I see alot of potential for this feature.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 08:36:25 PM by freezerfiller »

Offline raypla

• Unit(s): 898 HD SI
  • Accessories: I-Link
I just bought and set up the same setup as you speak.  The way I understand it even if there is no Lakemaster for your area, Navionics likely has a card for you.  Lakemaster is lacking up here so I intend on plotting way points on the HB and making it go from point to point to point and so on.  Navionics advertises some pretty detailed lakes all over the world.  More so than Lakemaster from my findings.
16.5' Tracker Deep-V
50 hp Mercury
55lb Terrova I-Link
898 HDSI

Offline MarioFisherman

• FatherWalleye
Thank you both for your reply. I fish almost all my life - since I was 4 years old. I'm 18 and holding... ha ha and still exited as I was at 4 years young... I use a Lawrance sonar all year around and this HB 898 will be truly an adventure for me. I would imagine for all of us.

But... re: maps. You are right. Lake Masters don't have a Saskatchewan maps of the lakes. Particularly I'm interested in Tobin Lake where we have a family cabin. I know the lake well and to have a chance with HB to see the bigger pix of those humps and ditches that would be something to look forward.

I know that Navionics maps carry Tobin Lake, SK and much more from this Province.

I have a printed maps of this lake just before they flooded (man made lake on Saskatchewan River - between two Hydro power Dams - 40miles long).

Is it possible to scan these maps and after putting on the SD card to somehow use it on HB?

Thanks again

with prayers

Offline MarioFisherman

• FatherWalleye
Reypla,

Have you thought of connecting a little TV LED unit to your I pilot link through Ethernet? I read it on Minkota website about it.
There they suggest 14-16" units. That would be something. What are your thoughts...thanks

with prayers

Offline freezerfiller

From everything that I have read, if there is no lakemaster support, then none of the features of the link will work, and it operates just like a less expensive i-pilot.  However, I will try some of the more basic functions with a navionics card when I go out on Sunday, to be sure, and let you know what I find.

Offline bobcoy

• Unit(s): 1197 & 1198
  • Software: 6.640 & 7.670
  • Accessories: iPilot-Link,GRHA GPS-HS,ETH 5PS
The iPilot link features work with an ethernet equipped HB unit with the exception of"Follow the contour". Even without a Lakemaster chip.

Offline freezerfiller

Thats good to know!  I was hoping it might.

Offline MarioFisherman

• FatherWalleye
Bob,

thank you and everyone who share experience of using those both units.

I never used them before. I just have on my old 14' Princecraft a transom basic trolling motor.  So, I pilot link is a new adventure to me.

A simple question. Do I need an extra ethernet cable to connect from HB 898c SI Combo to I pilot link? They say that both units "talk to each other". Do they share the viewpoints or other info? How that practically works?  At least your thoughts help me to have a "frame of thinking" where I can feed with youtub videos and literature. Thanks again for any help and God bless you.

with prayers

Offline bobcoy

• Unit(s): 1197 & 1198
  • Software: 6.640 & 7.670
  • Accessories: iPilot-Link,GRHA GPS-HS,ETH 5PS
The cable comes with the iPilot (10M). Another cable would be needed only if you had more units to hook-up. Waypoints,spotlock and itracks are shared both ways.The cable goes between the trolling motor head and the Humminbird.  There is wireless communication between the trolling motor and the remote. The best videos I have looked at were from Dr. Jason Halfen and Doug Varenburg. The both have websites and video. Good Luck fishing when the ice goes out. Bob

Offline MarioFisherman

• FatherWalleye
Bob,

Thank you. I'll look at the website for more info from those experts on I pilot link.

Re: Watching/connecting LED monitor (little bigger screen) to HB unit or from trolling motor head to the LED TV

Have anyone try to do it? How that practically works? Thank you and God bless you

with prayers
Fr. Mariusz "Father Walleye" :)

Offline Rotus623

• Unit(s): 898c hd si, 798 hd si
  • Software: 6.49
Make sure Lakemaster offers maps for where you want to use it.   I feel a little duped by the  gulf coast card that was and still is advertised on some sites for release this summer.  http://fishfinders.factoryoutletstore.com/details/20148-57458/humminbird-600019-1.html   It was also unclear that lakes that were not HD, were nothing but blue water with no depth info whatsoever.  If Lakemaster doesnt support where you fish, then you don't need the IP link.  The regular I-pilot will do the same things for less money.  If where you fish is supported by Lakemaster, the follow the contour is pretty cool.  I'm still learning but I see alot of potential for this feature.

This is actually somewhat an inaccurate statement. The only feature that Lakemaster adds is the follow the contour feature. If you have the Ipilot link, you can mark NEW waypoints and trails on your fishfinder, and the trolling motor will follow it. With the ooriginal Ipilot, you actually have to run a trail or visit a point FIRST for it to be accessible via GPS.

Offline MarioFisherman

• FatherWalleye
Here is the good web link which will benefit this post re: I pilot link and HB SI interactions, "a symphony harmony" of both units.
You will like this link:

http://www.jasonhalfenoutdoors.com/Link1.html

I posted this link on General Forum, too, just in case that you don't miss it. I have learned a lot since I've been there.
God bless you

with prayers
Fr. Mariusz "Father Walleye"  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo