Author Topic: 798 big enough?  (Read 4915 times)

Offline jam session

• Unit(s): 998c SI
  • Accessories: Trolling motor mount
798 big enough?
« on: August 06, 2010, 12:51:51 PM »
I am planning to upgrade my electronics and am considering a 798, 998 or even 798+788.  My main application will be on a 21 ft WA cuddy used to fish saltwater, mainly trolling for salmon in puget sound in depths typically 90-150ft.   I want to be able to display GPS and the sonar screens simultaneously to track dropoffs and look for bait and fish.  With the different sonar modes I am concerned that the 798 is too small and am considering a larger unit or even a second 788 for just GPS which would give more total screen area for less $ than a 998.  I also want to be able to move the unit to my smaller boat (electric trolling motor mount) which I use to fish for bass and trout.  GPS not as important there so if I did 798+788 I would only move the 798 to the small boat. 

How important is the 800Hz for side imaging?  Will it help spot bass under docks?  I know it isn't very useful at larger depths that I will see in saltwater.

Also how important is the color resolution?  798 has 256 but 998 has 65000.  What does this effect?  Doesn't seem important to sonar but maybe to the new GPS  modes.

Any comments or recommendations for my application would be appreciated.

Offline xd35

• Unit(s): 798si/1197si
Re: 798 big enough?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 10:05:15 PM »
I want to be able to display GPS and the sonar screens simultaneously

Jam Session

I would probably go with 998 if you want to do this. The 798 may be a little small to display both without breathing on the screen ;D

I run a 1197 on consol and 798 on my bow. I have a lake boat and river boat I switch them back and fourth. 798 on my bow is plenty big for my need.

Offline jam session

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 12:38:05 AM »
XD 35, you're just the guy I want feedback from.  Tell me more about the differences between the 798 and 1197 especially in SI and DI modes.  Is the 1197 significantly better or is the main difference just screen size?  One of the configurations I am considering is the 798 only at the console (or in my smaller boat) for sonar and a seperate unit for GPS.  Do I give anything up in sonar detail or seperation/detection compared to the 1197 if I do this?
Your comments are much appreciated.
JAM

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 09:48:07 PM »
Go with the biggest screen you can afford...

There is a need to realize that objects on the SI screen are considerably smaller than what is shown on the 2d screen....

Speaking of the 1197....A brush pile that is as big as a golf ball on the 2d screen will only show as about the size of a dime on the SI screen....

So just imagine how small that same brush pile will look on a 798's 5"inch screen...probably about the size of a soy bean....

Offline xd35

• Unit(s): 798si/1197si
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 07:53:00 PM »
Sorry for not getting back to you earlier.  rnvinc is pretty much dead on for comparing detail. 

I ran my 798 for almost a month on my console before taking delivery of my other rig with the 1197 and it's deafinetely worth it.  I have the internal GPS with my 798. You can run split screen in SI/2D and be able to read them, you just have to get pretty close to the screen if something appears on the SI screen, unless of course it's detailed and large. I run crankbiats alot and was able to sit right in fornt of unit so screen size was not that big of issue.

The 1197 is far more detailed for structures than my 798, but it's mainly due to the screen size at least from what I can tell.  I run it in slit screen quite often on the river as I mainly look for the ends of the wing dams and L dikes as well as anything laying behind them. I been using SI more than the down imaging mode as well. If you run a 998 on console and a 798 on bow, I am pretty sure you will be happy.  I was going to get a 998 but only went with the 1197 since I was able to get it with the new rig.

If you can find a dealer or someone that has the 798 already mounted in a boat at the console, this is the best way to get a real feel for how it will suit your needs.  I never liked the way these shops Cabelas/Bass Pro put these units on a shelf all crammed together and expect someone to get a feel for operating them in the boat.  Cabelas started mounting a few of the different units in boats so anglers could get a better idea. 

I would rather buy a unit that I was able to see a demo while standing in a bow of a boat than having someone smacking away at all the neat little buttons reaching up on display shelf.

If you were closer I would be more than happy to take you out for a real demo.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 07:59:33 PM by xd35 »

Offline jam session

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 01:16:00 PM »
Thanks for your feedback and advice.  I purchased a 998 at Cabela's based on your comments and the side by side comparison.  I thought the detail of the display was significantly better than th 798 though based only on simulation mode.  Would have been much better to see in a boat, but HB's are not very common out here.  I am installing now and hoping to get out for a test run this weekend.
Thanks

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal