Author Topic: New Member...confused  (Read 7574 times)

Offline Tejas

New Member...confused
« on: June 09, 2012, 02:08:40 PM »
Hi all, new member here hoping to gain some knowledge.  I mostly fish for White Bass, Stripers and Hybrids on Texas lakes. A few times a year I also fish the Texas Coast, mostly the bays or closer rigs, 75 ft of water or less. I have a 22 ft Champion Center Console, 200 hp Yamaha 4 stroke. Right now, I'm using a Garmin Gpsmap/Sounder 398. Time for an upgrade. I'm thinking of getting a Hummingbird 898c SI or 858c DI which leads to my first question.

Which one? Do I need side imaging? Ive never seen it used and not sure if it will help me catch more fish or not.

Should I look at some other models? I like the larger screen size of this unit.

Reading this forum it seems other folks have had issues with getting depth readings while on plane. Is this common? While searching for schools of fish I'm normally at idle speed but to me, it's still usefull to have depth readings at high speed to keep from hitting sand bars and ect.

My boat doesn't have a jack plate. I'm thinking that the stepped in portion of the transom by the drain plugs and water intakes is one option or towards the outer edge of the boat but I,m not sure that the signal wouldn't be partially blocked by the motor there. Any other ideas on transducer locations? Mounting brackets or whatever?

Any ideas or advice is appreciated, Thanks again.

Offline werethefugowee

• Unit(s): 997si
  • Software: Downimaging
  • Accessories: speed
Re: New Member...confused
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 08:26:48 PM »
Tejas - welcome to the forum. Everyone here was confused in the beginning. Some of us still are.

I have a four year old 997 c si that I still think was my best buy in fishing equipt. The side imaging and now the down imaging has become my #1 fishing tool.

In my experience, the side imaging doesn't work well at speeds that some people try to run at, but the units have other screens that do very well at speed.

Look thru the image library here at the screen shots others have posted and you will be convinced that ya gotta have it.

Humminbird is also very good at staying current with software updates.

Offline Tejas

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 10:35:46 AM »
    Thanks for the fast response. Went to Academy sports yesterday and found that they have the HB 798 for 799.00. I'm probably going to get one. Thats 500 bucks cheaper than I've found the 898 for. Worth the extra money? Those screen captures that other folks have posted are amazing, particularly the ones of piers, sunken boats and schools of fish. I gotta have side imaging.

Offline Tejas

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 10:37:23 AM »
Another Pic

Offline Tejas

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 10:38:54 AM »
Hoping to get some advice on transducer locations. The Garmin transducer on the right is coming out. Not sure about the stepped in part of the transom at the drain plugs. If the transducer kicks op, I'll have to trailer the boat to fix it. Also, that's in front of the prop about two ft. What are your thoughts?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 10:41:48 AM by Tejas »

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 12:12:15 PM »
I think that if you put it under the step you could get some Si sonar returns from the hull… hard to tell for sure though.  The Si beams angle upwards a little so it is possible.

For high speed depth readings I would look at using an inside-the-hull DualBeam transducer (XP-9-20) and an AS-Si-DB-Y cable.  This will allow you to install the Si transducer wherever it will work better for the Si sonar while protecting it from those sandbars.  This would allow you to install the Si transducer where the Garmin transducer is – though I would mount it just above the bottom of the hull to help protect it.  Depending on the clearance between your transom and the lower unit of the motor; you may or may not have to trim your motor up to keep from blocking the left side Si sonar.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo