Author Topic: Re: settings for HB units  (Read 1866 times)

Offline LenNC

• Unit(s): 1198, 998
  • Accessories: Interlink
Re: settings for HB units
« on: October 23, 2012, 09:52:41 AM »
I’m new to the forum but I have used Humminbird’s for 20 years. While driving through Texas, I saw a boat/fishing show at Lake Fork where they would help you tune your fish finders. I recently added a 1198 and a 998 to my boat and would love to have someone that really knows these units tune them in. If the show is in Wilmington, NC and they offer something that would help me get the most out of my units, I’ll be there!!!! If the show is on a lake, I'll bring my boat in hopes of having someone tune them in there instead of taking notes and hoping I did not miss something.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Re: Re: settings for HB units
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 03:49:55 PM »
LenNC,
Some of the “tuning” is specific to the user’s preferences or the body of water that they are fishing on.  I know guys that change menu settings when they are looking for structure versus fish.  There are no “one size fits all” menu settings for these units.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline LenNC

• Unit(s): 1198, 998
  • Accessories: Interlink
Re: Re: settings for HB units
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 05:29:56 PM »
I understand that there are a lot of settings that are user preference and apply for different types of fishing. I have used a DI unit for 3 years but changing to a SI unit takes some getting used to. Just having someone that knows the unit and how to combine settings together that work for your type of fishing is why I joined the forum. I read posts related to setting up the units and try the settings to see if it helps me identify the structure I’m looking for or makes the images clearer. When I installed the 2 units on my new boat, I spent half the time on the water trying different settings. When I found something I liked, I added it to the other unit. I am still spending 30 minutes each time I go out playing with settings hoping I can make it just a little better. I’m sure that wont stop until I find the setting that makes the 10+ pound bass just give up and jump into the boat. If I could have spent a few hours learning about the units and then a few hours adjusting the units, I think I would not have spent so much time adjusting the units and not fishing. That is the real goal.

I’m not a pro by any stretch. I love fishing. I really love catching. I bought the finders to compensate for not being a pro. The main thing I would like to be able to go to a seminar covering setting up a unit for bass fishing; Must have and conditional settings. I’ll drive 3 hours and pay for that. If I could also have someone look over my boat, approve of the install (placement of the transponder), and go over the settings in the unit and make recommendations; I’ll pay for that also.

Offline erocks4u

• Unit(s): 1198 c si / 1198 c si
  • Software: 6.420
  • Accessories: Weather sense , gps , Ipilot
Re: settings for HB units
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 05:45:29 PM »
Not sure if posting a link is okay, but well try it anyway.
Doug Vahrenberg Youtube videos.

http://www.youtube.com/user/imonbass

the link is not live so you will have to copy and paste into your browser.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal