Author Topic: Autochart vs Navionics vs SD Card vs Zero Lines vs Base Chart. Help!  (Read 12100 times)

Offline afaust

• Unit(s): Helix 5 SI GPS KVD
  • Software: 7.78
  • Accessories: 32GB micro SD
Hi all,

I just got my new Humminbird Helix 5 SI unit, and I will be installing it on my boat this spring. I'm a little confused about mapping in general. I'll explain what I think, and please let me know what I may be missing.
In theory, when I power up my Helix, I can "set" the chart I want, but in demo mode, it seems to set to auto....  so my first question, what is on the base map?
I want to work with depth charts and I know about the recording part in the Helix, since my buddy has a 688si, and we've recorded tracks and pictures using it in the past.
I would like to create my own depth charts, but how do Autochart, the base chart and Navionics fit in with the recording of the tracks, etc?
What is the max size SD card that can be used (and what speed required)?
What is the difference between a regular SD card and a zero lines card?

I guess that is a big enough start for now. I just want to understand what my future needs may be and what I'll be able to see on my unit with respect to mapping. It will be especially useful on an area where no depth chart exists.

Alla

Offline CamoHunter

• Unit(s): 1199ci HD SI, 788ci HD, 788ci HD
  • Accessories: AutoChart Pro, Terrova 80 - iPilot Link
Re: Autochart vs Navionics vs SD Card vs Zero Lines vs Base Chart. Help!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 03:16:13 PM »
Your Helix will come preloaded with a general location map, and that's basically all it is good for.  Lake outlines will be pretty generic, and probably not very accurate.  It might have minimal depth data, also extremely inaccurate.

Your "Chart Select", basically just let you choose which map you want to display, like if you were to have a Navionics chip in your Helix, you could choose whether to display the Navionics map or the generic base map preloaded in the Helix.

I see you're in Ottawa, Ontario.  I'm guessing, for your location, neither Navionics or Lakemaster have any lakes mapped in your region very well. 

Therefore, if I were you, I'd be very interested in collecting data to create my own charts for areas that I fish also.

You two basic options, would be Navionics Sonar Charts, or Humminbird AutoChart.

Either method, you save your sonar recordings or boat tracks, and upload them, and get an updated map from your survey work on the water.

With Humminbird AutoChart, you buy a computer program, and you can import your sonar recordings into that program, create a map, and export that map to an encrypted map card called the ZeroLines SD card.  The program is fairly complicated to learn, and would take some time to review tutorials and learn the process for creating maps.

With Navionics Sonar Charts, you first buy a Navionics Map Card, then later would need to pay a yearly fee for "Freshest Data" if you want to continue to be able to send them your sonar logs, and they use your sonar logs to update the 'Sonar Charts' layer of "Freshest Data", which you would download and update your card from time to time.  Sonar Charts is probably more simple, since you just send them your data, they do the data processing within a few weeks, and you download chart updates from time to time onto your Navionics card.

Regular SD card vs ZeroLines SD card.  Maps created in Humminbird AutoChart, can ONLY be loaded onto an encrypted ZeroLines SD card.  Any SD card can be used to save and transfer sonar recordings or humminbird tracks.

Max size SD card is 32GB, and most recommend a class 10 for faster read/write speeds.

Offline afaust

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 06:33:53 PM »
Hi,

Thank you for your response, you hit the nail on the head with what I was looking for.

With the chart, the reason why it stays on auto, is because it has no other choice... Understood.

Being in Ottawa, Lakemaster has essentially nothing for Canada, from what I've read, so there is no point in me getting any lake master cards. Navionics, essentially has the same thing the government maps have, which I can see on the navionics web app site. It does have the Ottawa, Rideau, and St-Lawrence River.... Which I'm equidistant from, the map page showing where I am (nothing to hide). So Navionics is a possibility.

Where are u from, if you don't mind me asking?

The point of me asking is to create my own maps, I just don't want to reinvent the wheel by making mistakes by trying things that everyone else has tried. I'd rather ask questions, then try what seems to be my best option first.

In looking at the description of the navionics vs the autochart, it almost seems like navionics is using you to make money updating their charts..... With your information.

As for complexity, allow me to tell you more about myself, I'm a chemical engineering technologist, that has worked on CAD drafting and mapping, and had my own computer retail store. I really enjoy how you explained everything so simply, in laymans terms. I enjoy learning new software, and it can't be any worse than some GIS software, or some specialized lisp macros that I had to use in my cad days, so I can't wait to try....

I thank you about the SD card and zero lines card as well, I suspected 32gb would be the max, so it is what I have purchased. At least I'll be able to record and record and keep the files until I get autochart, because if what I mentioned above is correct, I'd rather keep my information for me, or trade it to friends or worst case, sell it myself, than let another company get rich, and make me pay for updates of my own stuff.....

Thanx for the response, and hope to talk with you again soon.

Allan

Offline CamoHunter

• Unit(s): 1199ci HD SI, 788ci HD, 788ci HD
  • Accessories: AutoChart Pro, Terrova 80 - iPilot Link
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 10:03:13 PM »
Hey Allan, I'm from South Dakota actually.  But I make a trip to Northwest Ontario each year, and have mapped some areas from our fishing paths/recordings up there.

For the same reasons you mentioned, I personally went with AutoChart.  I didn't like the thought of me doing a bunch of work gathering data for a lake map, only to have a bunch of others be able to download that 'Navionics Sonar Charts' map.  Essentially, Navionics would benefit from my data and possible sell more product, because of my work, and I'd be sharing a bunch of my effort with other fisherman, of which I'd receive nothing for my efforts.

Therefore, like I mentioned, I went with AutoChart to keep my maps to myself and my group, and choose who else I share it with.  Not to mention being able to create maps right away, instead of sending it to Navionics and having to wait several weeks before the map gets updated.

Since you've worked with some GIS software and computer programs, I'm guessing your could follow along with my tutorials and get the hang of the program yourself.

I'd recommend AutoChart for your situation since you could probably pickup up on the software quickly. 

And yes, make sure you save all your tracks and sonar recordings in the mean time.  You can import it all into AutoChart later on if you decide that's what you want to purchase. 

In fact, when AutoChart was first released, I had a couple years of pasts data already saved on my computer, which I was able to import and create maps right away.

Glad I was able to help.  I'm headed on a vacation, so won't be back on here for at least a week now.  But I'll answer any other questions you've got in a week or two.

Offline afaust

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 11:16:13 PM »
Thx for the response.

I will be going with Autochart, since you did answer the questions I had with it. I just didn't want to fork out the $$ for something that I might not have used, but when reading the different things online, it just got more confusing. The ideas I originally had were correct, and you just confirmed them.

I will be looking at your tutorials, and I may have questions for when you get back, so enjoy your holidays.... My holiday will start on the 7-8th of May at the walleye world derby on the Bay of Quinte with my buddy, and maybe his brother.

Talk with you soon,

Allan

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo