Author Topic: unit doesn't power on  (Read 17420 times)

Offline gofish61

• Unit(s): 798ci HD SI
unit doesn't power on
« on: May 07, 2012, 11:27:13 AM »
Hello everyone, thaks in advance for any help. I have a 798ci HD si that I bought, you guessed it, just over a year ago. The unit has only been used about 15- 20 times and has allways worked fine until last week. Last week it powered up but acted crazy, went straight to what appeared to be a mapping screen but was all jumbled up. I turned it of and on a few times, pushed menu button repeatedly etc., finally showed regular sonar which was all I needed at that point so was ok.
Yesterday in preparation for a trip tomorow I mounted the unit to check function, nothing..won't power up at all. Battery is new and testing great, unit power wire runs straight from cranking battery with fuse in-line. meter is cheap and only shows whole volts but is reading 12 at plug going into unit.
HB's customer support told me that they have no suggestions but since the unit is all of a month out of warranty that if I send it to then they would be happy to look at it....all for a low flat fee of only $200 !

Sorry about the rant but feeling a bit frustrated. I chose HB over lowrance because I read all about there great customer support but about now I feel like I own a $1000 trot line weight.

Offline ITGEEK

• Unit(s): 1198c -Team Watters SS - Lexerd SP
  • Software: 7.670
  • Accessories: XM Weather - Weathersense
Re: unit doesn't power on
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 01:12:01 PM »
Sorry to hear of your problems.

So, you fully charged and load-tested your battery, and you are absolutely positive it is good?
All power connections, including ground are good and tight?
Have you tried to bend the power connections out a little for a better connection
(DO NOT BEND BOTH AT THE SAME TIME OR YOU WILL BLOW A FUSE).

Is your fuse holder and fuse in good shape (no corrosion).
Have you checked for any kinked and/or cut power wires?

Just because you have 12-volts to the unit, it doesn't mean that your
electrical system can sustain the proper amperage to start and run
the unit.  A battery showing 12 volts just means that the battery is
fully charged.  The battery still could be absolute trash.
I have fallen for the voltage test myself.  I had a battery that would
charge right up and showed over 12 volts.  But it wouldn't run
a fly's pacemaker.  I was so frustrated, I almost threw my unit into the lake.
Load testing is the only way to know if a battery is any good or not.
Assume nothing.  Test everything.
A new battery is only new to you.  You don't know how long it's been sitting
on a shelf.  A new battery doesn't mean squat either.

Just for the heck of it, as a quick check, you could use another battery (even from a car),
and hook the unit's wires directly to the battery, bypassing your wires and fuse.

It's usually something simple.
Check the obvious first.

I hope you get it fixed.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 01:15:46 PM by ITGEEK »

Offline gofish61

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 09:28:09 PM »
Thanks, I have load tested the battery and it tested good but I will most certainly try everything you mentioned, including another battery. Hope to post soon with results.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 10:03:37 AM »
Hello everyone, thaks in advance for any help. I have a 798ci HD si that I bought, you guessed it, just over a year ago. The unit has only been used about 15- 20 times and has allways worked fine until last week. Last week it powered up but acted crazy, went straight to what appeared to be a mapping screen but was all jumbled up. I turned it of and on a few times, pushed menu button repeatedly etc., finally showed regular sonar which was all I needed at that point so was ok.
Yesterday in preparation for a trip tomorow I mounted the unit to check function, nothing..won't power up at all. Battery is new and testing great, unit power wire runs straight from cranking battery with fuse in-line. meter is cheap and only shows whole volts but is reading 12 at plug going into unit.
HB's customer support told me that they have no suggestions but since the unit is all of a month out of warranty that if I send it to then they would be happy to look at it....all for a low flat fee of only $200 !

Sorry about the rant but feeling a bit frustrated. I chose HB over lowrance because I read all about there great customer support but about now I feel like I own a $1000 trot line weight.

gofish61,
Normally we allow a little over the 12 month warranty period.  You were not confrontational on the phone when you called were you?

Please send me your name, address and unit model as I have spoken with someone in our CRC department who wants to contact you about this.  You can send it to my direct email address as I may not be back on this website until late tomorrow.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline ITGEEK

• Unit(s): 1198c -Team Watters SS - Lexerd SP
  • Software: 7.670
  • Accessories: XM Weather - Weathersense
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 10:24:47 AM »
Hey gofish61,
Greg's on the case now, and he will definitely take care of you.

You just have to be nice with the Humminbird folks.
No matter how frustrated you get, just be nice.
That's the secret.

Good Luck.

Offline gofish61

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 11:34:20 AM »
Thanks Greg, I'll admit I did get frustrated on the phone with your rep but only after she told me she had no suggestions other than to send it in and for $200 they would fix it. I'm certain I was not rude even then, I've dealt with phone reps enough to know better.
Right now we are experiencing some very much needed thunder storms here but hopefully within the next week or so I will have the time to try everything to be sure it is a problem with the unit (hopefully not), if it is I will get back in contact with you.

Thanks again, Johnny

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 12:39:23 PM »
I’ll wait to hear back from you on this than Johnny.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline Greengiant

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 11:11:35 PM »
Just a few comments for consideration:  I too had power up issues, and still have 12.5 volts at the unit..after checking with HB via phone, it was suggested to check amperage (using the method described below) of the power supply at the unit..... apparently it draws a lot.  Using a small electrical measuring device, while the power supply connector was in place, but slightly below the unit so that probes had access to the positive and negative wires (there is a small space built into the end of the connector end of the power supply wire), I turned the unit on, and since the reading went to either 1 or 0, don't remember for sure, it was an indicator the power supply was not providing the required amperage.  In your case perhaps your wiring may have developed a short that is limiting the amperage to your unit.  I wired the unit directly to the battery along with a proper fuse, and have not had this problem any more.

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 08:00:38 AM »
Corrision of connections are somewhat common in watercraft if you dont provide good wiring practices at install. This will develop into a resistance and amps will drop across the connector.
Maintenance is a pain but certainly wiring is a check point also.

Chuck

Offline gofish61

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 11:25:20 PM »
Thanks for your input guys, I've actually been speaking with Greg via e-mail and we had allready decided that my next move was to run power straight from the battery with only the fuse in between. I have a feeling that this will solve my problems. Unfortunately due to work, etc. I have not had a chance to get it done. I will update the post as soon as I can.

Johnny

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo