Author Topic: Lost Fish ID+ and images after update 6.64  (Read 41829 times)

Offline Hollywood

• Unit(s): 898c SI & 565
  • Software: 5.410
  • Accessories: Weather Sense
Lost Fish ID+ and images after update 6.64
« on: October 11, 2013, 03:09:00 PM »
Hello. After I updated my 898cSI with the 6.64 (yes I reinstalled the defaults also before the update) I lost all my fish ID capabilities. No sounds, no pictures orange or blue. I have went threw what I think I should do like making sure its turned on in fish id and fish sensitivity set to 5. Its a shallow lake I fish less than 10' and some lakes up to 20' but shows nothing. Once in a while I get a orange fish show up with sound but its very rare. I know they (fish) are there because it worked before the update. Never tried it turned off to see if raw sonar arches appear. I do have DualBeam Plus also. thanks for any help you can provide. Joe K

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Re: Lost Fish ID+ and images after update 6.64
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 10:33:19 AM »
Joe K,
With the Fish ID feature turned on or off the raw sonar aches should still appear.
Do you know of anyone else that has a Humminbird unit that would allow you to cross-test the 2D sonar of your 898 unit?  Perhaps try testing it on the 565’s transducer to see if you get the same results or not?

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline Hollywood

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 09:59:01 AM »
I cannot ever remember seeing the arch's because the fish ID is always on. Nobody I know has a similar unit. So what you telling me it might be the transducer that could have a problem. Its just weird that it happened right after the update. I was out the other day and the 200 kHz orange fish symbols were appearing every now and then. Will the 565 transducer plug in to my unit? If so I'll give that a try and mount it next to the 898's and see what happens or can I just try it somehow on land? Thanks for the response. Sorry it took me a bit to get back to you.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 10:23:35 AM »
Joe K,
Yes the 565’s transducer will plug into your 898 unit and will work for the 2D sonar.  You will have to test the sonar while on the water.
Some things to try:
- Turn up the Fish ID Sensitivity menu even higher.  Max it out if you have to.
- Try viewing the Split Sonar View (with the 83kHz and 200kHz side-by-side) to see if the Fish ID Symbols show up or not.
- Try displaying only the 200kHz sonar or only the 83kHz sonar to see if the Fish ID Symbols show up or not.

Offline zdriver

• Unit(s): 898c si & 597c hd
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 06:30:32 AM »
Hollywood, there probably is nothing wrong. It is the software. I went thru the EXACT same situation. Humminbird even claimed I had a bad transducer. NOT... I talked to someone at humminbird and they sent what was the original version of software to me. Put it in and everything is hunky dory.....I recommend not to update software unless you really, really need to.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 11:08:12 AM »
I don’t know about that zdriver.  While there is a problem in some of the current software with showing the Fish ID Symbols in the 83kHz sonar data (and only when you are showing the Sonar View with the Beam Select set to the 200/83kHz setting), he is stating that he is also not getting any “sonar arches”.  I think that he should rule out the transducer first before changing software versions but changing back to an older software would give the same result in showing where the problem is.

Offline zdriver

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 04:54:20 AM »
Greg, I understand what you are saying, but here is my deal.  I was running the version before 6.64 with no problems. I loaded 6.64 thinking it would help. The thing I noticed was the change that would not save waypoints to a chart card. On the water, I had no arches or fish with the SONAR, but I could see them on DI.
I made every adjustment possible. I would lose my gps coordinates, it would go off then back on. My time display would go away then back on. No matter what I used, 200, 83 or 200/83, there was nothing. Occasionly, an orange fish would go by. I do not use 360 or gps guided trolling motor, which is what I noticed the upgrade was based on. I loaded 6.1 (from this website) and things returned to normal. Oh, and I forgot to mention, I contacted H'bird and was told I had a bad transducer. Sent it in, got a new trandsucer back-----the exact same thing.

Offline navionic

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 04:05:16 PM »
Try to update the firmware to version 6.740
There should appear orange fish (83Khz)

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 09:08:23 AM »
Hollywood,
Sorry for stepping all over your thread here.  If you want to re-install the version of software your unit had prior to loading the 6.640 software than you certainly can try that.  You can also try the 6.740 software as navionic stated.

zdriver,
You are describing multi issues, not all of which have been identified as problems with the 6.640 software that I know of.  Unless I am misunderstanding what you posted; it sounds more like you installed a corrupt version of the 6.640 software.

Offline Hollywood

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 08:48:26 PM »
Lots of ideas you guys gave me here. Hopefully I can get it done still before the cold gets too severe. I will try the software reinstall first because everything did work before that install and see if that does it. Everyone is explain a lot of options here and all sound good so I think the software is the easiest to do first and will try the other transducer if I get time to mount it and just have the cable handy to plug and play to see if that works after the update change. That transducer is not cheap to replace for sure. Thanks guys for all the ideas. Thanks for a final summary Hummingbird_Greg. Ill let you know after 11-15-13 that's my day to hit it again, 45 for a high. Thanks everyone for some good ideas. Hollywood

Offline JDX

• Unit(s): 788 ci 898HD SI 899HD SI
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 09:15:11 PM »
Is it always recommended to update the software ? If the unit I have is working fine why should I update ? After reading thru many posts it seems after software updates gremlins hop on board, leaving the user into a diagnostic tree of headaches and missed fishing time. Perfect example here ?

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2013, 10:07:49 AM »
Is it always recommended to update the software ? If the unit I have is working fine why should I update ? After reading thru many posts it seems after software updates gremlins hop on board, leaving the user into a diagnostic tree of headaches and missed fishing time. Perfect example here ?

"Recommended"..? (sometimes by some..every time by others)...

"Required"...(only dictated by new accessories that must have a minimum level of software)...

Only you can decide if new version features and bug fixes will benefit your specific unit...

If you do not have iLink, 360, or the AS GPS HS antenna (and your unit is working fine)...there is no reason you have to be "Required" to be updated...

Rickie
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 10:10:23 AM by rnvinc »

Offline Hollywood

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2013, 05:30:42 PM »
Well I'm going to upgrade to 6.740 today and will be out tomorrow to try it out. Hopefully it will be a simple fix for me. If not I will have to reverse to a older version and see how that goes. What version was before the 6.640 w/o all the down scanning and x-tra stuff I will never need. Thanks again. Hollywood

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2013, 10:49:45 AM »
Hollywood, before going backwards in software versions too far and disabling your 898c Si unit – you need to know what it was originally built with.  Loading a software version that is older than what your 898 unit was built with could have catastrophic results.  Call the Humminbird Customer Resource folks with your serial number and they can look this up for you or e-mail it to me and I can get them to look it up.

Offline navionic

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2013, 02:51:21 PM »
Humminbird_Greg,
There is a way to determine the preloaded  version of the firmware units?

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2013, 11:06:42 AM »
Yes there is:
“Call the Humminbird Customer Resource folks with your serial number and they can look this up for you or e-mail it to me and I can get them to look it up.”

Offline navionic

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2013, 02:40:35 PM »
Thanks for the reply Greg. Had a bad experience unknowingly turn  Humminbird 898с  into a brick when installing an older version of the firmware.

Offline Hollywood

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2014, 02:18:44 AM »
Well I don't feel like starting a new topic like they say because of the information here. This is for Humminbird Greg. I found all my previous versions of software for my unit. I still never got a chance to test out the 6.740 to see if it corrected the problem of no fish ID after the upgrade but will be out in a few weeks to see. Hell of a winter we had here coldest ever needless to say I had to put the boat away. I don't want to try anything till I get out and see if it works. I think my next step will be to go to 6.180, I had updated with it on 3-9-2012 and all was fine till 6.640. I will definitely let you know if its a go or not. If I do end up going the other route I am scared after reading about previous versions bricking your unit after changing to a earlier version.  Thanks, Hollywood

Offline navionic

ну я не чувствую, что начиная новую тему, как они говорят, потому что информации здесь. Это для Humminbird Грег. Я нашел все мои предыдущие версии программного обеспечения для моей группы. Я до сих пор так и не получил шанс проверить 6.740, чтобы увидеть, если она Исправлена проблема не fish ID после обновления, но будет в несколько недель, чтобы увидеть. Ад зимней мы были здесь холодные когда-нибудь само собой разумеется, я должен был поставить на лодке от отеля. Я не хочу, чтобы попытаться что-нибудь, пока я выйти и посмотреть, если он работает. Я думаю, что мой следующий шаг будет идти 6.180, я был обновлен с ним на 3-9-2012 и все было хорошо, пока 6.640. Я непременно дам вам знать, если его идти или не идти. Если я в конечном итоге идут по другому маршруту, я боюсь, прочитав о предыдущих версиях, замуровав ваше подразделение после перехода к более ранней версии. Спасибо, Голливуд
к сожалению, не удается устранить проблему с версией прошивки 6.740. Я откатываюсь назад к очень старой версии и получил кирпич (5.xxx) не переживайте, все получится с версии 6.xxx
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 02:24:50 PM by navionic »

Offline Hollywood

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2014, 12:46:15 PM »
Hummingbird actually says not to go back before 5.600 or you'll get the brick for sure. So I will see what happens with the 6.7 on my unit. Still acts goofy with different things like shut down and some minor stuff. I might try that transducer off my the other unit at some point after my maiden voyage if it still doesn't work out. Pretty frustrating for sure.

Offline ITGEEK

• Unit(s): 1198c -Team Watters SS - Lexerd SP
  • Software: 7.670
  • Accessories: XM Weather - Weathersense
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2014, 01:01:48 PM »
Just throwing this out there.
After you did the software update, did you
check that the transducer type selected
was correct for your unit?

Offline Hollywood

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2014, 09:27:07 PM »
Well here it goes  I upgraded to version 6.740 and never got to try it out until today. Still the same no Fish Id+ or arches. I did as you asked and the Humminbird staff also agreed upon and that was to take the transducer of my 565 and hook it up to see if it is the transducer. I did exactly that today and no change. Still no fish ID+ marking fish, made no difference at all. So I think this ruled out the transducer as being bad. When I talked to Humminbird a few days ago they said not to go back at all in versions for fear of bricking the unit and to try the switch. So now I am at a loss. I really believe it is the software causing my problem because it was fine before I switched to 6.640 and now 6.740. When I was running 6.180 everything was fine and worked great. Now I'm scared to revert to a earlier version because of bricking. Although they say you can go back to 5.60 but no further, that's what they say on their website but the Support people said not to go back at all. So Ill have to wait till Monday to call them or see what you guys suggest I do now. I would love to have my unit back to the way it was. If you don't have a problem Don't Upgrade to the new version is all I can say. Not happy with this situation I'm in. So please let me know what you professionals think. Thanks Hollywood
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 10:51:55 AM by Hollywood »

Offline Hollywood

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2014, 10:51:09 AM »
Hope this post is still active I am still having problems. Didn't hear from anyone on here yet. Maybe your all fishing and that's a good thing. Hollywood

Offline navionic

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2014, 02:53:09 PM »
Hollywood,
Go back to the version  6.180. Will be all right ( Fish ID+ )

Offline Hollywood

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2014, 02:55:48 PM »
I just got off the phone with Humminbird support. They are aware of the problem and said to switch from the dual beam to 200kHZ to correct the problem for now. The ID+ will work then. They said they are working on a new Version Upgrade from the 6.740 and will email them out to regesteried owners for the fix. Its not the transducer or unit. The last update caused the problem and they are working on it now soon to be released. This is straight from Humminbird a minute ago. They also told me not to go back to 6.180 because of the "Bricking" problem that could occur. I switched tranducers from my 565 Unit and had the same results. He said its the software that caused it not my unit or transducer. He said to watch and wait as it will be out soon. Thanks for your response to my problem as that was my next choice/option to do. Hollywood

Offline navionic

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2014, 04:03:33 PM »
It's not so good. 898ci and 898ci HD removed from production. Accordingly, the software update will soon be discontinued. This problem more  year. It is possible that the new firmware will be in June.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 04:04:35 PM by navionic »

Offline arvinc

• Unit(s): 898si
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2014, 07:52:38 PM »
I have the same problem after updating last spring . Fought with it all last summer. Going to try going back to 6.180

Offline navionic

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2014, 03:59:10 AM »
I have the same problem after updating last spring . Fought with it all last summer. Going to try going back to 6.180
On version 6.180 everything works fine

Offline RBrad

• Unit(s): 585, 898c si
  • Accessories: Transducer Shield & Save, TM-HDsi
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2014, 09:39:01 PM »
See my post under 898c, RBrad.  Check to see if you have two or more versions of software on your SD card.  If so, make sure you only have the most recent software that matches what is loaded in your unit. 
I have/had a problem if more than 1 version on SD card, after replying NO to an update question screen, my unit does not load properly and no sonar signals. Charts, GPS, temp works ok for example.
I had v6.64 and went to v6.74.

Offline leeland

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2014, 10:36:03 PM »
I...like Hollywood am in the same boat.  When I got my unit it worked great...had the fish ID working.

Last year I upgraded to 6.640 and lost that option...dealt with it all summer long not really knowing it was from the upgrade...

This year I start poking around on the forum and see it was probably the cause...

I upgraded today to the latest firmware and have no improvement. 

Can anyone possibly comment if there is actually going to be a fix coming out or have they stopped fixing this unit all together?

If it is confirmed they have stopped can you simply revert to 6.180 safely?  As in download that firmware and downgrade with no issue or is it a risk?

Kind of annoyed that a 1000 dollar fish finder is not functioning as it should and that each release doesn't fix the basic functionality...

Offline navionic

« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2014, 04:08:26 PM »
Greg wrote recently, he did not know when it will be fixed. On new units (899,999,1199) exact same problem :(

Offline Hollywood

« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2014, 08:55:53 PM »
I will be calling Humminbird tomorrow and asking what's up with the fix to see if they were just pacifying me with all their talk. I have been out switched transducers to a know good one, went to 200mhz on down scan, turned Fish ID off and a number of other things just for kicks and nothing helps. No Fish ID at all or sonar arches show up. If they don't have to solution tomorrow I am going to switch back to version 6.180 when all was well. Hopefully it wont brick on me. Things just were never right after the updates after that. Its a shame they are discontinued because it should last longer than that for support issues. That's a lot of money for a locator. What if I added the 360 to it they would have to give you support you would think and updates also. We will see tomorrow.

Offline Hollywood

« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2014, 09:53:18 PM »
HB put out a new firmware as of 5/30/2014. Not sure about the fix's because it doesn't list my problem. Here's what it says they fix=898 (Version 7.090)
Release Date: 05/30/2014

Description:

v7.090

General Fixes
•Removes NMEA0183 functionality when i-Pilot Link is connected
•Corrects issues caused when user follows the contour while recording an iTrack and AutoPilot is turned on.
•Corrects issue where iTracks were not being deleted from all units on the network
•Corrects issue where sonar continued to ping after sonar was turned off.

Offline zdriver

« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2014, 06:25:35 AM »
Hollywood,

Beware. You are wasting time just like me. I talked to a manager Wednesday about my problem (the exact same as yours) and was told to send my unit in. Needless to say I lost my cool. Wait untill you lose your GPS module. The 50 that came with mine is no longer available and the only one you can get only works with the software that does not show fish on 2D.  I was even told they would pay to send it back and I would get what I needed in the mail...I'm still waiting on that. Go back to 6.1 and pray you never lose your GPS module. They have software issues and are afraid to admit it and basically we are screwed..

Offline leeland

« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2014, 11:20:14 PM »
zdriver,  That really sucks!  This whole situation seems to have gone from bad to god awful.  I contacted customer support (via email) and corresponded with 'Denise' who basically blew me off in a series of emails over the course of a week.

I like most watching this thread have been waiting for some form of a resolution.  It is pretty sad that we are all sitting here with no real option.

If anyone does downgrade their firmware to 6.180 please respond and let us know the outcome because I am really leaning on trying this before I go on my one big fishing trip of the year.

Offline arvinc

« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2014, 06:24:34 AM »
I went back to 6.180 and everything works fine ,except when turning it on it seems to take longer for it to power up.

Offline leeland

« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2014, 11:32:22 PM »
Just a comment on you rolling back your firmware...

What version did you rollback from?  Did you simply follow the normal install procedure when you rolled back?

Thanks in advance!

Offline arvinc

« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2014, 12:22:34 AM »
I went back from 6.640. Used normal procedure. no problems.

Offline Hollywood

« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2014, 02:44:34 PM »
Finally got  a answer from Humminbird today. They said the new release 7.090 released on May 30 will not solve my problem and told me to go back to 6.180 and sent me a email with that version in it and told me to use this download. I seen the one here and looks the same but I will be down grading to it today and out on the water tomorrow to see if this does it. All was well till the update is all I know. They could not give me a answer either other than if I use this version from this site and it bricks it will cost $290.00 to unbrick it. I said you got to be kidding me and she said no because I already started a case file on it and they are watching what I am doing ever call I make is documented. They know what I am doing because they are telling me what to do but cannot give a direct answer to why it happened or how to fix it. I think I am a test dummy for them. Well I'll see tomorrow and repost the results unless it bricks on me. Then its on them because they told me what to do and sent me the software that supposed to fix it. (or stay the same) As long as I don't get the brick.

Offline leeland

« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2014, 12:17:05 AM »
In the event the downgrade works would you be willing to share that firmware?  Since it is possibly different from others online?

Offline Hollywood

« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2014, 01:21:30 AM »
I down graded my firmware today to 6,180 and it went smoothly no problems. Everything came back but the readouts on the side took several reboots to get it where I want them. Then I went fishing and bam Fish ID+/arches were there just like it was before the upgrade and actually improved the side images to look a lot better with more details. I am so happy everything worked out and came back. I don't think I will ever upgrade again. I don't know if the 6.180 listed here is the same they emailed me from HB but it worked. Maybe they put their little x-tra hidden fix in it. I have my Locator back! Marked fish all over, still have to fine tune it to my specs but it works! Cant argue that. Hollywood

Offline zdriver

« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2014, 03:45:01 AM »
Great to hear Hollywood. I wish the people at Humbug would start listening to their customers more. Now, if I could just my problem solved. I have a feeling it is going to be a LONG battle.

Offline navionic

« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2014, 01:45:03 PM »
Hollywood,
Great. Happy to help

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2014, 03:02:56 PM »
The 6.180 software update file should be the same or it would have been given a different software update number.
Still you are best off getting it from the Humminbird CRC folks in the case that something goes wrong and it bricks your unit.

Offline leeland

« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2014, 10:33:27 PM »
Finally back from my fishing trip and I can also confirm that downgrading the firmware fixed my issues and the unit functioned like it once did.  Glad it worked out.

Offline navionic

« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2014, 03:36:34 PM »
HB put out a new firmware as of 5/30/2014. Not sure about the fix's because it doesn't list my problem. Here's what it says they fix=898 (Version 7.090)  Release Date: 05/30/2014  Description:   v7.090  General Fixes •Removes NMEA0183 functionality when i-Pilot Link is connected •Corrects issues caused when user follows the contour while recording an iTrack and AutoPilot is turned on. •Corrects issue where iTracks were not being deleted from all units on the network •Corrects issue where sonar continued to ping after sonar was turned off. 

I have heard that version 7.020 characters fish back in 2D mode on the unit 999c. Please check for s.w. 7.090
Believe in luck :)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 03:40:01 PM by navionic »

Offline Hennessyt

• Unit(s): 899, 798
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2014, 02:17:31 AM »
Hi Hennessyt here, I'm new to this forum and loving every bit of it. I find this site very informative and educational although I can't believe what Hollywood had to go through to get his unit working correctly again. Way to stick to your guns and never give up the fight. I've been running a 798 ci si hd combo and noticed that I never see fish, in the arch mode nor the fish id mode. All this time I thought it was me not knowing what the hell I was doing. My question is, with the 798 and 898 units being virtually the same unit could that be my problem as well. At this time I'm not sure what the current update is, but I did do an update on it last year. I will get the boat on the water Monday and check it out as well as talk to HB support. Now, what bothers me the most is the lack support in this matter from HB support because I just bought and installed the 899 ci si hd combo and reading that people are having problems with that unit due to updates. If you all are still interested I'll reply later in the week and let you know how things work out.

Offline Hennessyt

« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2014, 10:43:31 AM »
ok after further reading the 798 and 898 do have different updates although I still do have the same problem. I'll continue reading.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2014, 10:22:33 AM »
Welcome to the Humminbird Side Imaging Forums Hennessyt.

Not showing Fish ID Symbols and not showing fish at all are two separate problems.  The first is probably software related but the second could be a problem with the transducer, the transducer mounting, the unit or even the unit settings.
Are you seeing fish on either unit?

Offline Hennessyt

« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2014, 08:30:56 PM »
I was able to get out on the water in a fresh water canal. not much for structure but there was a lot of activity. As for your response that it may be a transducer problem I was using the same td that was running the 798ci. These images came from the 899 only. I also did some recordings of the side imaging but haven't figured how tow post stills from the HumViewer. What do you think? Thanks.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo