Author Topic: 3D mapping software general question  (Read 7215 times)

Offline Phillip Nicodemus

• Lund Basser
  • Unit(s): Helix 10 g4n mega si, Helix 9 g4n DI
  • Accessories: Networked
3D mapping software general question
« on: March 25, 2013, 11:04:54 PM »
I have been doing some internet research of software programs for 3D mapping, IE. Dr. Depth, Reefmaster, Sonartrx, others?
I have read advice some saying that if you have HD lake map chips available for your lake/s that doing your own mapping of areas/lakes wouldn't be that helpful. 

I have an 898C SI.  I also have a Lakemaster Chip for my the state I fish, it has the HD maps of 2 of the lake I fish regularly.

My question is will utilizing this software technology by recording my own SI scans help me find structure that I would not get from my sidescan and lake map?

Will it show rocks, cribs and other underwater structure that I would have missed using my SI unit alone?
I am a bass fisherman trying to find the over looked fish holding structure. 
Can I take those 3D rendered maps of my SI scans and overlay them on my 898c si ?
Advice?  Opinions?
Thanks!
Fish the dark

Offline xSilmarilSx

• Unit(s): HB 798ci SI HD - HB 778c Quad Beam
  • Software: 6.250 - 5.320
  • Accessories: TG W, NMEA Cable, Ethernet
Re: 3D mapping software general question
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 03:11:58 AM »
I will speak from what I know... I'm using DrDepth with the SideScan module and it's really impressive.
It will laydown the SI data on the map, and it's easier to have an idea of your surroundings.

To have a 2D or 3D map of the bottom is nice to have, but to have the SideScan map can show you some impressive information.

Offline matt@reefmaster

• Unit(s): 997
  • Software: 4.75
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 04:42:29 AM »
Hi Triton,
I'll speak for ReefMaster but I can't pass comment on the others.
As far as the usefulness or otherwise of making a 3D map of your fishing locations - it really depends on the quality of the commercially available map data for those areas. In my experience - mostly fishing the ocean in Australia - even the most recent HD map cards show very little high definition information - it is astonishing what you can reveal about the structure of reefs etc, showing drop-offs, channels and humps. Also our lakes are not mapped to anything like the extent that they are in the US. I think the only way to make an informed decision is to look at what you can get pre-mapped, and try making a map of an area you fish and then compare the two. You can an unlimited trial of ReefMaster for two weeks here.
ReefMaster does not do sidescan mosaics and nor do we plan to. What we do have coming in the next release (about 4 weeks) is the ability to import kml overlays and use them as the texture on the 3D models. This will allow you to view sidescan imagery in full 3D, and position waypoints etc in 3D. You could use, for example, SonarTRX to create the sidescan mosaic overlay file.
You cannot show the sidescan images on the Humminbird unit itself, but you can use ReefMaster to place waypoints at points of interest, or trace regions by hand to be shown as paths on the unit - for example, you could trace the outline of a rocky outcrop and place a waypoint in the centre with a descriptive name. I find that once on the water, these sorts of simple cues provide sufficient information without cluttering up the display.
I would certainly encourage you to download our free trial and have a play - there is plenty of test data and you can also use your own of course. If you need a trial extension so that you have time to try your own data, just pm me.
cheers,
matt
ReefMaster - Waypoint Management and Underwater Mapping Software for Fishermen

Offline Rüdiger

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 12:45:02 PM »
Hi Triton

I use DrDepth OPI and with good result. :D
If you have questions is to be found competent and quick help with Peer, the software developer.
An active forum for DrDepth can be found here: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/DrDepth/

mvh
Rüdiger

Offline mako101

• Unit(s): 798si hd
  • Software: 5.210
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 07:41:36 AM »
ReefMaster has revolutionised the way i fish, user friendly and very powerful, highly recommended. :D

Offline Triton Anlger

• Unit(s): 898c SI
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 10:10:24 AM »
OK, sounds like I better just try some out first and see if I like the results enough to buy.  I know Reefmaster has a full trial version but with DrDepth will i be able to see the 3D maps examples?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo