Author Topic: Head Units only on Ebay... generally legit... or likely lifted?  (Read 2300 times)

Offline Philip Brown

• Unit(s): 798ci HD SI Combo (replaced 798ci SI)
  • Software: ?
  • Accessories: 2nd xducer aimed through hull &Y split
I can't find my head unit... don't remember if I put it away for the winter for safe keeping and now can't find it (kinda like when squirrels burry nuts in the fall to eat over the winter...  "now where'd I plant that acorn?") or whether it self-levitated over the winter, and magically flew away leaving me and the boat behind.

Either way I find myself now turning over all of my secret hiding spots in the attic, basement and storage shed (hehe!), and also considering a replacement.

So, what's the general consensus on these used "head unit only" sales on ebay -- Probably legit, or units that grew legs?

I ask because  -- I hella-care.   If they grew legs, I don't want to add to what could be the cause of my own problem by buying what is or was someone else's misfortune.   On the other hand, if they are probably legit, then I don't mind saving a few bucks and picking up a used head unit to get me back up and running... besides, the buttons on my unit were becoming flakey and only sometimes working, so a new head unit might be a welcome relief.

Thoughts!

BTW, to be clear, I'm not trying to single out any one seller or person... I just mean in general, when I see head unit only used for sale does that probably mean a good chance that it really means someone stole a head unit (maybe not even the seller) and now I can buy it -- I don't want any part of that -- or does it more likely mean for some legit reason, here's a used head unit only for sale?

Thanks for your insights.

-Phil
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 08:47:59 AM by Philip Brown »

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
Re: Head Units only on Ebay... generally legit... or likely lifted?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 10:27:03 PM »
Used units on sale sites should be suspicious  ...

I would be more inclined to follow classifieds at common fishing forums like bbcboards.net or crappie.com  ... (you would need to become a member to contact a seller).  ...

Those sellers in those forums are members of the forum that several people would know or know how to get hold of  ...

There are also reputable dealers that sell used units (also found in the classifieds at bbcboards.net)  ...

Rickie

Offline Philip Brown

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 08:37:24 AM »
Thank you, Rickie.

You provide sound advice with a very good rationale.

I'd hate to go to one of those sales sites and possibly pay several hundred dollars to maybe even buy back my old unit -- unwittingly of course.

Of course, there's always the possibility that I hid my unit over the winter so well that now even I can't find it.  :D

Anyway, thank you.  I will heed your advice and stay away from the big "sales" sites for used head units and either buy new or buy from the classified posts on one of the large, well-established boating or fishing boards instead.

Great advice!

Sincerely,

-Philip
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 08:50:18 AM by Philip Brown »

Offline Philip Brown

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2020, 08:47:14 AM »
So I've looked, and I'm especially suspicious of the used head units only, that don't even include the plastic piece that acts as a keeper to hold the cables plugged in.

It seems to me, that if someone who owned a head unit, removed it from their boat for resale, that they would AT LEAST included that piece, since it keeps the cables from coming loose, while, on the other hand, someone who grabbed a unit and ran would probably do the least possible to get the goods and get out of there.

Just my thoughts.

-Philip

Offline Philip Brown

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2020, 08:56:25 AM »
I've looked carefully at many ads, and some seem very suspicious, and others seem like they are likely legit.

I purchased a used 798ci HD SI to replace my 798ci SI  which I can't find -- but even if I do locate it, it had ongoing issues where the buttons only sometimes worked.

The seller had the power cable, and included photos of the unit powered on including the status screen, and photos of the serial number, and it includes the quick-release bracket that you mount and can plug and unplug this unit from.

So, anything could be the case, but it seems quite feasible that someone might unscrew the mount, remove the power cable, and sell off of pawn their unit, leaving the transducer either to use with a replacement unit -- since *some* are compatible, or because they don't want to be bothered removing the xducer, including possibly leaving unfilled holes in their transom.

So given the accessories, the seller power it up, and the serial number being shown, it seems reasonable to me that this unit was come by legitimately -- probably much more likely legit than not.

Units with no power, that require and external GPS sensor, and don't include it, etc...  seem more suspect in my mind... but they could be either way.

But add *some* accessories, power it own, and show the serial number, including that status screen, and -- especially on some of older units -- it seems very feasible to me that used sale could be legit.  People upgrade.  People sell their boats, and maybe the new owner takes it out -- just the head unit and mount -- and puts in something newer.

People donate old boats to charity auctions -- and maybe the owner, or the charity, or the buyer, strip it of some parts and sell them off -- without taking the time to get every accessory.

I'd be more suspicious of a newer, more capable unit without the screen cover, no power cable, no gps sensor  (since that's critical for use), and missing some other key pieces.

Am I Rationalizing?  I don't think so.  Like everything in life, I'm managing the unknown and it's related risks, and trying to make the most with what I've got and the limited information that I can gather.  :-)   

Stay safe, and stay well.

:-)

-Philip

P.S. -- I had previously upgraded to the SI transducer that supports HD (after my original transom mounted xducer broke off and was lost after high-speed use of my boat -- something that *used* to be a well-know flaw 8+ years ago)...  so getting a replacement of *almost* the same unit, but with the HD will be a nice -- albeit modest -- upgrade, without having the hassle of rerunning wires and changing out my xducer!   :-) :-)  (yeah!!!!)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 08:59:24 AM by Philip Brown »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo