Author Topic: More Windermere (Part 2)  (Read 9077 times)

IRC Kevin

More Windermere (Part 2)
« on: August 08, 2009, 02:19:55 PM »
Unfortunately, the screenshot for the next target was corrupted when I saved it to my memory stick, but I managed to rescue something using Si View again. The Lake floor is very featureless here and although it's possible this is a rocky outcrop, I don't think it is, as the glaciers ground this part of the Lake bed pretty flat. Depth is just over 110' feet. This is the view that caught my eye.

This is the image zoomed in. Si View shows the length at 26'

The last target puzzles me greatly. It's not trees, or big underwater bushes- you just don't get them here! I'm wondering if it's the ribs of a wooden boat sticking up vertically. All suggestions greatly received.

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
  • Unit(s): 1197c SI, 997c SI & 785c2
  • Software: 4.950 & 4.510
  • Accessories: Interlink & GRHA
Re: More Windermere (Part 2)
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 12:00:44 AM »
Great snapshots.  Good one to post in the image gallery for deep water.

I encourage you guys to start your own gallery so these images will all be in one place.  You can post the img link from the gallery to the forum.  People can also post comments in your gallery as well.

Thanks for posting!

Robert
Humminbird Guru and Forum Administrator

Offline Jolly Roger

• HB Addicted
  • Unit(s): HELIX 9 G3N, 998Cx SI, 959DI
  • Software: latest (mostly)
  • Accessories: AS GR50, custom towfish and: A boat!!
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 03:58:17 AM »
Hi Kevin,
do you guys build artificial reefs for fish to breed and hide? We do this here at Lake Constance.
That picture with the beams sticking up from the ground reminds of something like that. Looks kinda similar to the one at my mooring:

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

These reefs are build by raming sticks into the ground to make a "cage". The cage is filled afterwards with brush and stuff like that. They are good places to fill up the tackle box and get new anchors, since too many people get too close and loose their equipment when it gets entangled into the reefs (one can fish there as well  ;D).

Regards / Harry
YES,......
WE SCAN!

IRC Kevin

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 11:39:32 AM »
Hi Robert,
Will look into the 'gallery' idea.

Hi Harry- There are no artificial fish structures on the Lake, as far as I know. I looked at a printout of the last shot today, with it tilted through 90 degrees and I'm sure I can make out the lines of a hull. I wonder if the uprights could be stanchions with weed growing from them? Only weed I've seen growing in the Lake is Canadian Pond Weed (Elodea canadensis) which could definitely account for the height.

Offline wizzo86

• diving in phillapenes
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 09:51:46 PM »
Hi Harry: There seems to be a foundation to the right of the enlargement. Were there buildings there at one time?

Offline Jolly Roger

• HB Addicted
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 08:35:18 AM »
Hi Kevin,
tilted my monitor 90° and it looks like you said. For sure I would get my dive gear strapped on and do a research on this.

Whizz,
this isn't a foundation, although it looks pretty much like it. I dove there a couple of times to fill up the tackle box  ;D.

I guess next thing I have to get an underwater camera to make more underwater pics.

Regards / Harry
YES,......
WE SCAN!

IRC Kevin

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 09:03:54 AM »
Been back on the boat this week, so managed to retrieve another copy of the possible crusier in deep water.

[img width=200 height=50 alt=]http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/MGalleryItem.php?id=137[/img]

Offline Jolly Roger

• HB Addicted
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 09:33:13 AM »
Hi Kevin,
did you also a direct run over the target? If so, check how the 2D picture looks like. There you can estimate how far the target stick out from the bottom.

Very interesting picture! 110 feet? That's approx. 35 metres, right? Kinda dark down there I think. Tried to locate my last target on Sunday, but didn't find the beech  >:(. Passing 15 metres, it was like someone has flipped the lightswitch. Hooked up a reel to the anchor chain and had a 30 minutes carousel ride in 20 metres. Either I was way off from the target or I missed it due to the bad sight there.

I made a low budget marker buoy now, which I'll throw overboard as soon as the target shows up in the 2D screen. This carousel gig will not happen again I hope  :).

Regards / Harry
YES,......
WE SCAN!

IRC Kevin

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 01:35:40 PM »
Hi Harry,
Haven't re-visited the target yet, as I'm going to scan much more of the Lake first. I'm not a diver, but have a friend who is and I'm going to present him with a portfolio of targets and see which takes his fancy first. Dropping marker buoys is not permitted on Windermere, unless you're actually diving it at the time, due to the problem of fouling propellors.

I went out again on Thursday, as the wind was light enough to allow me to get out and back into my berth, on my priority search (more of this when I've got my personal page up and running), but had problems with the Humminbird (probably of my own doing). I set it recording when I left (checked that I was getting the 'recording' icon), spent two hours doing a grid search and only noticed when I was 5 minutes from the marina that it wasn't recording. Started the recording again for the last leg, but when I checked on the machine, the first recording had been deleted. Just tried some data retrieval software on the memory card, but no luck, as the .son files seem to have been converted to .flv files in the deletion process and these won't even play with my .flv player. Just have to hope that the weather is better than forecast for next week.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo