Author Topic: 898c SI - no sonar  (Read 5403 times)

Offline RBrad

• Unit(s): 585, 898c si
  • Accessories: Transducer Shield & Save, TM-HDsi
898c SI - no sonar
« on: April 29, 2014, 03:44:20 PM »
OK, my 898c HD SI unit has stopped displaying any sonar images, both SI and 83/200.  Temp display and GPS are ok.  Sonar is turned on in menu.  Problem happens on old and new software versions.  I set voltage warning to see what I was getting.  Alarms at 12.5V and is ok at 11.5V, so that is what I am getting I think.

I tried the 83/200 transducer from my trolling motor.  No signal.  I have an old SI transducer that the SI worked on but not the 83/200. The SI signal from it does not work.  So it does not appear to be a transducer problem since all 3 fail to display.

Any suggestions to try before I send this unit in for repair?  Thanks.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Re: 898c SI - no sonar
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 04:36:02 PM »
Nope, I think you covered it all.  That 11.5 volts should not stop the unit from transmitting but it wouldn’t hurt to cross-test with someone else.  Does not have to be another 898c HD Si unit – just as long as it’s not a DI model unit.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline RBrad

• Unit(s): 585, 898c si
  • Accessories: Transducer Shield & Save, TM-HDsi
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 09:28:41 PM »
I have updated this post today.
I received my unit back from repair, no trouble found, with a new transducer, which I did not need and was expensive at a repair fee.  I had tried 3 different transducers so I knew my no sonar was not that.  I did some further testing.
Originally I thought the problem was related to have two software bin files on my SD card and after replying NO if I wanted to update back to earlier version, then my unit stops at snapshot screen after it appears to have finished loading.  You have to exit this screen and then there are NO SONAR signals.
After getting some nasty posts about how stupid I was for having two bin files on one SD card and it was my fault, for something as benign as two files of the same type on one SD card.  That could only be if the hardware/software unit (Humminbird) was "dumb" enough to try to use or confuse two files during loading. 
The following was performed with two SD cards, 1 bin file each, to prove my point about two files could not cause this problem.

I backed up to the beginning.  I restored defaults, reloaded ver 6.64 software, which is where I started. 

I then put in another SD card with only software 6.74 on it and put it in the unit.  This is what I originally did but did not install the software right away on the next fishing trip.  So I had to reply NO to an update question about upgrading from v6.64 to v6.74.  The unit does the same thing,  it appears to load, ending up at snapshot screen.  No sonar signals.  Since I had not updated the software, but replied no, I started down a path on trying to figure out why my transducer was not working, I had not changed anything. Even after upgrading to v6.74, my original SD card did now have two software versions on it, which was not a problem but leads to the upgrade question during startup, wherein the problem really lies.

So, the final net of my problem, at least for my unit, is that if the unit finds a SD card with any software file that is not the current version in the unit (only needs 1), and you rely NO to upgrade to skip the file, the unit ends up with no sonar, transducer does not work.  I can see if one puts one new software version on the SD card, making sure it is clean of other software files, immediately installs it, then you would never see this situation.

I do not know if this is unique to my unit or can be recreated on other units.  My take is there is some type of potential software "bug" in processing the NO to an upgrade request.

The pics are of a sequence where the unit software and SD card software does not match.  You reply NO to upgrade, end up at the the snapshot screen, you have to exit out of this and then the sonar signals are all blank.  The last pic is after taking out the SD card, thus avoiding the upgrade question, and then you can see that the transducer (original one) gets signals.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 08:43:16 PM by RBrad »

Offline sfw1960

• Bringer Of The 'Bird
    • http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/member.php?u=3330
  • Unit(s): H10MSI G2N-H10MDI G2N-H12SI-H12MSI G2N
  • Software: v1.840 x 3, v1.830
  • Accessories: AS GPS HS x2, I-Pilot Link, RC-1, RC-2
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 12:31:34 AM »
WHY on earth would you leave TWO software binaries on the same SD Card and not expect possible problems?
I would liken that (in a digital perspective) to driving in the opposite lane on the express way with no safety belt on at 165 MPH and not expecting any ramifications....
 :o
.....Jus' Sayin' ........
I would not hurt to call one of the head CSRs & explain what happened, but I rather doubt when you flirt with disaster - somebody will want to hand you your money back for mistakenly self inflicted pain, sad as it may seem.....
Best of luck in your quest though!

Offline sfw1960

• Bringer Of The 'Bird
    • http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/member.php?u=3330
  • Unit(s): H10MSI G2N-H10MDI G2N-H12SI-H12MSI G2N
  • Software: v1.840 x 3, v1.830
  • Accessories: AS GPS HS x2, I-Pilot Link, RC-1, RC-2
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 03:52:24 PM »
MY, you're quite the friendly one.  :D
Sorry I spent time replying to your extreme happiness.
It is what it is - looks like you've out-smarted everyone nearby , so have yourself a nice day oh happy one.........
 :P

Signed,
The stupid one (who is at least wise enough to put only what's required for a ROM flash on media- and trying help folks without trying to brag about my superior stupidity or how good I am at what job I do, or how much I am involved in IT.)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo