Author Topic: Need suggestions on mounting 1198C SI transducer on Triton LTS220 Transom  (Read 10028 times)

Offline JimV

• Unit(s): 1198c
Greetings everyone,

I am new to the board.  First, many thanks for all of the effort and time in hosting this board.  The information has been tremendously valuable in my selection and education process.

I would greatly appreciate your input in mounting recommendations for my 1198c SI transducer.  I am mounting on the back of a Triton LTS 220.  I have a few challenges to include, two screen intakes, two transducers, jack plate & a stepped transom plus trim tabs.  Mounting on the step or the jack plate are not viable options, as we will not clear the trim tabs.

I've attached photos of the transom area.  My thoughts are to place the external SI transducer where the yellow box is drawn - hoping I will clear the screen intakes.  This is the best option I can come up with.  I guess there is no way to know, but based upon your experience, how risky is this mounting option?

Only other option considered is mounting a thru hull in the flat area below the drain plug.  Have two concerns with that idea - 1.  possible prop cavitation and 2.  I fish a lot of shallow water and concerned about potential damage.  How big of an issue do you think the cavitation may cause if mounted in that area?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
  • Unit(s): 1197c SI, 997c SI & 785c2
  • Software: 4.950 & 4.510
  • Accessories: Interlink & GRHA
Re: Need suggestions on mounting 1198C SI transducer on Triton LTS220 Transom
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 08:23:43 PM »
Jim,

Welcome to the forum.  I would say that both of those spots look good. As far as the risk, it just depends on where you fish and if you have stumps or other hard objects that may strike the transducer.  It is made to kick up if you hit something too hard, but I know there are some guys who chose not to mount it there. 

I think it is going to give you the best results though!

Good Luck,

Robert
Humminbird Guru and Forum Administrator

Offline JimV

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 09:10:41 PM »
Can you tell by the photos if you think there will be any blockage from the aerator intake screens?  That's my biggest concern.

Not overly concerned about the ducer placement & risk in hitting something.  That just comes with the price of admission.  Idid want to avoid the thru hull install as much as possible. 

Thanks again

Offline newkid4si

• Unit(s): 998c si
  • Software: v 5.70
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 11:14:14 PM »
Jim

At the top of the home page under the HB units is Gallery[668]. Click on that and the second item in the right column is installation photos. 5 pages.
    I see some similar installs like you will have. Some photos show intake screens near the transducer. The normal install may work.
    If not, there is a product called a transducer mounting board. You may want to check on that.

Mike

Offline slabbacks

• Is it Friday yet!
  • Unit(s): 898c HD SI / 859ci HD
  • Software: 6.490
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 02:35:12 AM »
With the aid of the transom mounting block and a transducer shield & saver spring mount you should be good to go.  you will get the distance needed to get the beam away from the intake pluss the added piece of mind if you strike a object with the ducer, it will spring back and snap back in place.

Good luck and get back with us after the install with some screen shots and px of the ducer. 
Tell them I've gone fishing!

Offline JimV

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 06:15:27 AM »
Where do I find that mounting block?

BIG THANKS

Offline reddog

• My pictures
  • Unit(s): 2)997 C SI, 788CI, 787C2, 1197 1198
  • Accessories: Ipilot Link
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 07:45:01 PM »
Yellow box gets my approval also.  You may get a little interference that shows up in the water column from the intake screens, but its not going to affect the performance of your SI at all.. 

I dont get why people get so worried about interference in the top foot of water.. 

With a single transducer like the typical installation, there is sufficient turbulance coming off of the keel of the boat, that even with the best installation with all the trick parts, youre not going to eliminate that kind of interference.

I installed my transducer up on the step of my new Skeeter, like everyone says to do  (to be safe)  Absolutely hated it.. two tries to get it adjusted, and I promptly aborted that location.. Ill risk damage before I will handcuff my electronics with a sub standard SI installation..

Ive had SI since 08.  Have not lost one transducer due to a strike..  If youre going to take a strike that hits hard enough to knock the ducer off, youve got other damage that will need to be addressed also..

If you get good SI readings at high speed, youve  got your transducer mounted in the "sweet spot"

Last Sunday:

Hate to see her go, but love to watch her leave.

Offline newkid4si

• Unit(s): 998c si
  • Software: v 5.70
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 11:42:56 PM »
reddog

I would think 39mph with 37 degree water temp would be an invigorating ride. The windchill would be about 3 degrees.

Mike

Offline reddog

• My pictures
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 12:20:35 AM »
reddog

I would think 39mph with 37 degree water temp would be an invigorating ride. The windchill would be about 3 degrees.

Mike

Mike... Air temp  was 19 when I launched, and not much more when I captured that shot..  Invigorating pretty much sums it up...  My season is just starting :)

Offline slabbacks

• Is it Friday yet!
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 03:36:43 AM »
Jim

i used this and cut it to fit.  http://www.basspro.com/Transducer-Mounting-Plate/product/9153/
you can see how it pushed the ducer back to help clear the intake.

Red
 this snapshot was taken after first setting the unit up, you can see where the intake on the left and other mount to the right was showing up.  The next shot was after installing the above listed items and how it helped.  Anything that catches or otherwise blocks your beam at the front end has to effect the outcome of the image you get back in some way.  For me it gave better views at what I was looking for without the clutter.

Offline reddog

• My pictures
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2013, 07:38:15 AM »
Slabbacks, while I agree that the transducer mounting block cleared up the interference caused by the intake, it did not affect the overall quality of your side imaging clarity, nor did it affect the balance of the water column..  Typically I would not worry about that band of interference if the rest of the image is the quality I desire. 

Glad it worked out for you.

Offline slabbacks

• Is it Friday yet!
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 10:34:13 AM »
you to bud, good luck on the water  ;D

Offline JimV

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2013, 09:44:53 PM »
Thanks for all of the replies and help, guys.  Very much appreciated.

Slabbacks, I have some white king starboard in the shop, believe I can fabricate a mounting block from that material.  May as well, even though the intake filter may have minimal interference, I would prefer to get it clear.

I plan to complete the install this weekend & will follow-up with final photos.

Thanks again!!!

Offline JimV

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2014, 06:41:57 PM »
Status Update:

Finally got it installed.  Murphy showed up a few times, but all is good in the scheme of life.  Attached are a few photos of the install, still need to get it on the water to dial it in and then do a final.

A couple of interesting things.  I installed a Kick Back Bracket Transducer Shield mount, it definitely places it back far enough to clear the screen intake, at least two inches off the transom.   That is some device, wish I had come up with the idea.  While installing the KBB, apparently I over-torqued the axle fastener and the head sheared right off.  Weird thing is, I never felt any resistance whatsoever when tightening down that fastener.  It was almost non-existent.  Disappointing too, as that was one of my last steps and I had to order a replacement axle and fastener package to complete the install ($15 for an axle and two screws).  Sure would like to have that fastener placed under a microscope, it simply popped too easy.  Made me wonder if it had a case hardness or stress fracture issue....or simply applicator error :).  Anyway, KBB installed and I am happy I did so.  Thanks for the recommendations on that product, guys.

Once I got everything hooked up, I powered on the screen and everything worked.  Even got a bonus of a little bright colored pixel almost dead center of the screen.  After checking every page view, it only is visible during the dark background screens.  It is not visible, as it blends in, on the light colored pages.  I talked with HB and they said that there is a tolerance range of allowable "fixed" pixels on a screen and this one probably passed QC within tolerance.  They offered to allow me to send it back for inspection and possible repair, which initially was going to do, but decided that it was not that big a deal.  I already had to have my original unit replaced by the dealer once, as it apparently was a returned unit sold as a new, unopened unit that I did not know until I got it home, so I simply was out of patience with shipping, receiving and waiting.

Now that the temps are above 6-20 degrees, it's time to get on the water.  Thanks for the help.  I am looking forward to trying it out.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo