Author Topic: HumViewer - Viewer of humminbird files  (Read 221040 times)

Offline jamesunique

• Unit(s): 898c SI Combo
Re: HumViewer - Viewer of humminbird files
« Reply #200 on: March 15, 2011, 11:38:45 PM »
Hi Martin, this looks like a great piece of software and something that Humminbird should really include with their sounders.
I have just bought a Humminbird 898c SI which I intend to use for low budget seabed surveys from which I will produce free charts for yachtsmen entering the River Deben and River Ore in the United Kingdom. These charts are made up from tidally corrected depth and lat/long data however the ability to create waypoints with depths from sidescan images will be a massive time saver, particularly for shoal areas which I cannot reach without risk of grounding. This is where my question comes in. Although you can export track data as a csv file, I can't seem to find the exported waypoint data, hopefully including the depth at that waypoint. Is there a waypoint export feature I'm missing or are waypoints not exportable as or within a csv ?

Offline jamesunique

« Reply #201 on: March 26, 2011, 08:02:32 AM »
Hi there,

Im running Windows 7 64bit with HumViewer and have been trying to 'Make a sub recording between marks'

Once actioned, and when the sub recording is re-opened, I'm getting an error:

This is not a valid Humminbird Sonar recording file
File F:\xxx\xxx\xxx\cropped-sidescan.DAT do not seem to be a valid 64-byte dat file

Anyone else have this problem ?

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
  • Unit(s): 1197c SI, 997c SI & 785c2
  • Software: 4.950 & 4.510
  • Accessories: Interlink & GRHA
« Reply #202 on: March 26, 2011, 10:31:18 PM »
Looks like you changed the name of the .DAT file.  Also if you have manipulated it with some other software it may not work with HumViewer.   Do you have the original R00*** files?

Robert
Humminbird Guru and Forum Administrator

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
« Reply #203 on: March 27, 2011, 10:31:36 AM »
Robert is right. 
The record file for HB is R000XXX.dat and that points to the recorded files in the record which are B00 thru B03 and have two file types.  1).IDX and 2).SON.
As Robert pointed out changing any of these will not let Humviewer work...
Chuck

Offline jamesunique

« Reply #204 on: March 27, 2011, 09:48:24 PM »
I'm afraid I'm using a clean source file, copied straight from the Humminbird. No problems viewing the source file but when checking the 'open sub recording' option, this error is thrown up ie It's telling me the file it created is corrupt.

Using the dialog, if I try to save with a new filename such as croppedsidescan.dat I get this problem, also if I copy the source files into a new directory, try to save the cropped file over the fop of the copied source file, the file does not get overwritten properly. When I open the 're-written' cropped file, the full gps track remains, the left hand side scan image is frozen and I can scroll the right hand sidescan image.

If I try to open the corrupted sidescan file in something like DrDepth, only the port beam renders, but on the starboard side.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 11:39:29 PM by jamesunique »

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
  • Unit(s): 1197c SI, 997c SI & 785c2
  • Software: 4.950 & 4.510
  • Accessories: Interlink & GRHA
« Reply #205 on: March 28, 2011, 12:11:50 AM »
Yes, its a little flaw in the program in the way the sub recording is writing the HB format.  Wish I could help more than that.  Maybe Martin can work it out for us.

Robert
Humminbird Guru and Forum Administrator

Offline jamesunique

« Reply #206 on: March 28, 2011, 01:44:00 AM »
Thanks for confirming that - you can only try things so many times before you need to start sidescanning for PC's thrown in the river with fraustration ! :)

Offline Gerryk

• Unit(s): 788ci HD DI, 798ci HD DI SI
« Reply #207 on: March 28, 2011, 07:27:25 PM »
I tried to click view in google earth and nothing happens. Did I forget a step or what?

Offline Enufzed

• Enufzed
  • Oh happy days !!
  • Unit(s): 898cx SI
  • Software: V 6.180
  • Accessories: SanDisk 8GB Extreme III SDHC 30mg
« Reply #208 on: March 28, 2011, 10:53:04 PM »
update to the latest Google Earth version and make sure you have the latest Humviewer version a well
Old fishos never die: they just smell that way

Offline JBell

• Unit(s): 898cSI
  • Software: 5.4.10
  • Accessories: 8GB SD, Navionics map
« Reply #209 on: April 21, 2011, 10:25:52 AM »
Hi Everybody,

I just got my new 898 cSI, and am looking forward to using it to scan some shipwrecks in lower Lake Michigan as soon as the weather and my schedule let me.  In the meantime I've been learning to use it, along with the Humviewer software.  Humviewer looks great, and I am looking forward to using it with some real data, but I do have one feature request:

I plan to scan some shipwreck sites that are too big to fit on a single screen, and I want to capture jpeg images from the scans.  I could do a series of screen snapshots and then merge them together in Photoshop, but it would be much nicer if I could just capture a large jpeg image to begin with.  So my feature request is this:

I would like to be able to specify a start time, end time, cropping ( e.g. 10m to 30 m ), and view ( e.g. SI starbord only ), and generate a single jpeg file that would capture that part of the sonar data as a single view.  Ideally it should make use of the selected color scheme and brightness/contrast settings, but those can always be adjusted in Photoshop.  I don't particularly need the data around the edges, but some people might want that, so perhaps that could be a checkbox option, or else I can just crop it if needed.

Thanks, and thanks also for making a great program,

John

Offline jamesunique

« Reply #210 on: April 21, 2011, 11:21:33 AM »
Hi John, what you are looking for is software that creates a 'sidescan mosaic'.

There are two software packages which will do sidescan mosaicing at a low price:

Dr Depth
Deepview Publisher

Both packages do a good job however Dr Depth has the edge once you understand how it works. The particularly useful mosaicing feature dr. depth offers is the dynamic gain increase from centre of scan to the outer edge - this effectively lightens the edges to create a more consistent or flat image and picks out detail that you might otherwise have missed at the edge of your passes. Deepview initially gave me better results out of the box until I understood what Dr.Depth required by the way of set-up.

One thing is for sure, you'll never get a clean alignment of sidescans in photoshop unless your passes are 100% straight with no weather to speak of as tiny changes in your course and speed are massively exaggerated in the scan image. Mosaicing software does all the compensation for you. It can also remove the water column (the area in the middle of your sidescan image)

I would suggest trying to minimise the overlap in sidescan passes as the overlaps are blended or overwritten with new data making the image 'fuzzy' in the overlaps.

Offline SonarTRX

• SonarTRX
  • Unit(s): 998c-SI
  • Software: SonarTRX
« Reply #211 on: April 21, 2011, 02:08:25 PM »
Hi John,

There are more than two software that can create geo-referenced images from your sonar recordings: SonarTRX-SI can do this at an even lower cost than Dr.Depth and the other mentioned by jamesunique.

The latest version of SonarTRX (10.5) can also crop the image tiles at a certain sonar-range to improve how they overlay or display in Google Earth, when you have multiple passes over an area. You can also import the SonarTRX images into Global Mapper, ESRI, Manifold GIS or other 3D visualization / GIS / Mapping programs.

The quality of any multi-pass sidescan mosaic created with Dr.Depth or other software is often poor in the overlap regions, because from a small boat, without attitude information or high-accuracy GPS, you simply do not know where the transducer was (GPS inaccuracies), or what the transducer attitude was (heading, roll and pitch) Consequently, the mosaics are at best multiple "strips" of imagery, overlaid, and/or blended into a "blur" in the overlap regions. Trying then to interpret what you see in these reqions is often a waste of time, unless you are just looking for broad-stroke "regions" (i.e. hard bottom, soft bottom, rough bottom etc.)

If you are looking for bottom targets such as wrecks or particular objects, not bottom "regions" you may want to evaluate each pass separately, at the highest suitable resolution. SonarTRX was designed for this purpose, and you can generate imagery of exactly the areas of interest, nothing more, nothing less.

Best Regards,
Tore

SonarTRX

www.sonartrx.com

Offline JBell

• Unit(s): 898cSI
  • Software: 5.4.10
  • Accessories: 8GB SD, Navionics map
« Reply #212 on: April 21, 2011, 02:46:01 PM »
James, Tore:

Thanks for the prompt replies.  I actually hadn't thought as far ahead as mosaicing multiple passes, although now that you mention it, I will probably want to do that too.  My immediate wish was just to combine multiple "screen shots" from a single pass, since one of the first wreck sites I want to scan is around 400 feet long.

I will look into both of those programs as soon as I get a chance.  ( And once I get some actual data to mosaic. )

Thanks,

John

Offline jamesunique

« Reply #213 on: April 21, 2011, 04:32:32 PM »
Hi John,

There are more than two software that can create geo-referenced images from your sonar recordings: SonarTRX-SI can do this at an even lower cost than Dr.Depth and the other mentioned by jamesunique.

The latest version of SonarTRX (10.5) can also crop the image tiles at a certain sonar-range to improve how they overlay or display in Google Earth, when you have multiple passes over an area. You can also import the SonarTRX images into Global Mapper, ESRI, Manifold GIS or other 3D visualization / GIS / Mapping programs.

The quality of any multi-pass sidescan mosaic created with Dr.Depth or other software is often poor in the overlap regions, because from a small boat, without attitude information or high-accuracy GPS, you simply do not know where the transducer was (GPS inaccuracies), or what the transducer attitude was (heading, roll and pitch) Consequently, the mosaics are at best multiple "strips" of imagery, overlaid, and/or blended into a "blur" in the overlap regions. Trying then to interpret what you see in these reqions is often a waste of time, unless you are just looking for broad-stroke "regions" (i.e. hard bottom, soft bottom, rough bottom etc.)

If you are looking for bottom targets such as wrecks or particular objects, not bottom "regions" you may want to evaluate each pass separately, at the highest suitable resolution. SonarTRX was designed for this purpose, and you can generate imagery of exactly the areas of interest, nothing more, nothing less.

Best Regards,
Tore

SonarTRX

www.sonartrx.com

Can your software render the sidescan mosaic as an image file rather than having to take screen grabs etc from google earth ?

Offline SonarTRX

• SonarTRX
« Reply #214 on: April 21, 2011, 10:20:29 PM »
Can your software render the sidescan mosaic as an image file rather than having to take screen grabs etc from google earth ?

Yes, in SonarTRX, you have the option to generate georeferencing files for all images created by the program. Various formats are supported, including world files and prj files, ESRI Aux.xml files, Manifold GIS coordinate system files (xml) etc.

The image tiles can then be imported into 3'rd party programs (Global Mapper, Manifold GIS, ESRI etc.) for mapping and visualization).

Tore
SonarTRX
www.sonartrx.com

Offline pebe

• Unit(s): HB 798ci SI
  • Software: 5.450
  • Accessories: AS-GR-HA
« Reply #215 on: April 24, 2011, 03:32:51 AM »
Let me ask some Questions please:

Is there a Demo Version available ?
To see how it works wirh my own data ?

And why do i have Shipping Costs to Germany if is only a download Software .... ?

Also, what means 1 Year Programm.... ?
Do i need to buy a new Software to get new Software-Versions after that one Year ?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 03:47:54 AM by pebe »

Offline jamesunique

« Reply #216 on: April 24, 2011, 05:53:21 AM »
I'm sure Tore will get back to you with the 'official' answer but I've just bought the software as it was cheap enough to evaluate.

The shipping cost is for a dongle key that's sent in the post - a temporary/trial registration key is provided via email.

Offline SonarTRX

• SonarTRX
« Reply #217 on: April 24, 2011, 09:23:10 AM »
Regarding SonarTRX-SI:

Let me ask some Questions please:

Is there a Demo Version available ?
To see how it works wirh my own data ?

And why do i have Shipping Costs to Germany if is only a download Software .... ?

Also, what means 1 Year Programm.... ?
Do i need to buy a new Software to get new Software-Versions after that one Year ?

Hi pebe,

- When you buy a license for SonarTRX / SonarTRX-SI, it does not expire after a year.

- During the first 12 months, you get free updates to the latest version. You can get updates by sending an email to support@sonartrx.com, and you will receive a download-link for the latest version.

- When you place an order, there is a "shipping and handling" charge. As of April 2011, the charge is $10.0 and includes preparing and shipping the USB license key to anywhere in the world by U.S. Air Mail

I hope this helps.

Please send me an email if you have more questions, or would like to request a demo.

Best Regards,
Tore

Tore@SonarTRX.com
www.SonarTRX.com

Offline pebe

• Unit(s): HB 798ci SI
  • Software: 5.450
  • Accessories: AS-GR-HA
« Reply #218 on: May 02, 2011, 02:38:32 AM »
Hello,

thx for the Answers.

That means if i want to get Updates after that period of one Year,
i have to buy the Software again ?

Another Questions was:
How does the Software handles the following:
If the HB Unit records SI for example, 30 Meters Width an driving the same Location more than once,
also overlapping the Aerea an the shore was nearer than the Scan width.
So for example we have the shore in 10 Meters and the rest of 20 Meters was black.
Does your Software eliminates the 20Meters Black, to prevent from overwriting already drawn Data ?

Hmmmm Maybe a demo Version was helpful to find out the Answers also for al of my Other Questions :-)

Offline SonarTRX

• SonarTRX
« Reply #219 on: May 02, 2011, 06:07:28 PM »
Hi Pebe,

Here is a sample image illustrating the SonarTRX range-cropping feature:

Our discussion is moving off-topic, and this thread is getting very long, so I posted a complete reply to your questions on a new thread:

http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index.php?topic=2509.msg13753;topicseen#new

Best Regards,

Tore

tore@sonartrx.com
http://www.sonartrx.com
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 06:08:37 PM by SonarTRX »

Offline bobxxx

• Unit(s): hb798cihd,hb helix9 si di mega,helix7 si
  • Software: 6.61,1.160,1.84
  • Accessories: AS GPS HS
« Reply #220 on: May 03, 2011, 05:58:40 PM »
Hi guys,I downloaded the humviewer and the java ,installed the humviewer.but what do I have to do to get the .son file to humviewer?
in advance thanks
Bob

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
« Reply #221 on: May 03, 2011, 06:02:38 PM »
Record your scan on your unit. remove the SD card and put in your computer.  Open humviewer and when prompted: enter the address of the record. this will be the drive associated with the sd card.

Humviewer will ask for the file name and you will put in the R000XX.dat name of the run you wish to see.

Check this link on the forum and see if it helps...
http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index.php?topic=937.msg4806#msg4806 

Chuck
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 06:10:36 PM by sonar2000 »

Offline ruiner

• Unit(s): 798C
« Reply #222 on: May 04, 2011, 08:49:05 PM »
Hi Martin,

I find HumViewer an exelent and easy to use software. Any change getting Mac OS X or Linux version of this software? Since it is made with Java, that should be a really simple thing to do and would be appreciated by many.

Also a good idea might be to publish it is as Open Source Software under some good license. I think there are many potential developers in this forum, who might make a good contribution to the software. Selecting an appropriate license wouldn't make it impossible for you to take commercial advantage of the software if that is the reason why you wouldn't want to make it open source.

Cheers,
              Kari Kolehmainen

Offline blake711

• Unit(s): 597 DI HD
« Reply #223 on: May 17, 2011, 04:24:25 PM »
Hi  Martin,
     I have a HB 597 DI a dedicated Down Imaging unit.  It looks like your software does work with it.  I have to use the quadrabeam mode and it will show it.  I was wondering do you know if this is the best settings for it?  If it would be beneficial I could provide you some recordings if you wanted to look at them and possibly make an view option for dedicated DI units only.  Anyway thanks for your work as the yellowfin product only shows an SI output.

EDIT-  Ok after playing with this I finally realized I could right click on the output window and then got the option to select my view.   I choose DI 455 and it does give me a valid output.  I was using a large file at first and it would have to recompile each time.   Looks like I actually have ot make sure its on the SI mode and then select my view as DI.  If can assist in any way with data files let me know.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 11:35:14 PM by blake711 »

Offline fox_hunter

• Unit(s): 798 ci hd si, 718, matrix 12
  • Software: Always Last
  • Accessories: Only NMeA bus
« Reply #224 on: May 25, 2011, 01:09:18 PM »
Hi !!! I'm italian .. and my englisch isn't perfect ...
However.. many many thanks to Humviewer software maker !!
To good ! A lot of tool ! Rich end simple to use !!

Many many thanks againg !!
For me, is the best software on Si that i try !!!

Great !
Riccardo

Offline arnados

• Unit(s): 798SI
  • Software: 4.62
previous version 3.031 HumViewer
« Reply #225 on: January 19, 2012, 09:40:29 AM »
Can anyone send me HumViewer version 3.031 ???
Thanks
Fran
famadocastro@gmail.com

Offline oce_uri

• Ocean Engineering Department
  • Unit(s): 898c
  • Software: default
« Reply #226 on: February 22, 2012, 02:08:48 PM »
Hi Martin,

I am looking to find information regarding the file format of the .dat and .son files outputted by the Humminbird.  I have converted the .son files to .xtf files using the converter provided by Humminbird in order to try and reverse engineer the .son file structure but am having problems completely describing the entire file.  How did you obtain the file format in order to construct your HumViewer and/or would you be willing to share it with me?

I am an Ocean Engineering student at the University of Rhode Island and am trying to implement a Humminbird 898c onto an autonomous vessel in order to conduct sonar surveys of our local bay and ultimately construct sonar mosaics.  I have tried contacting an engineer at Humminbird to request their file format but he directed me to Chesapeake Tech, a sonar mosaicing company and I am not entirely sure they would provide me with it.  Through your HumViewer I have been able to derive some of the unknown fields, but I do have a question regarding your conversion of lat/lon.  I saw mention of units in Mercator meters in this forum, but I am not quite sure what the conversion relation for that is.  I simply used wikipedia and an equation I found there involving arctangent and hyperbolic sine functions however I am off by about 4 deg (45 deg where I should be getting 41) for my latitude. 

Any and all help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Ashley Hutchins

Offline dralston

« Reply #227 on: April 09, 2012, 11:23:55 PM »
hi,

Perhaps I've missed this, but is there any way to export the echo intensity profiles from the downward looking sonar?  I am able to view the files (from a 998c SI) in HumViewer, and I can save the screen grabs as images (*.png, *.jpeg), but ideally I would like to be able to save the backscatter intensity in a format. readable by other programs for further analysis.  If there are suggestions for other software that would be better for this, I'd be happy to hear them.

thanks.

Offline SpineyNole

• Unit(s): 1197c si
  • Software: 4.950
  • Accessories: custom towfish
Sub-recording issue again
« Reply #228 on: May 28, 2012, 08:22:57 PM »
Martin,

Any luck with the sub-recording issue yet? Sure would like to see that function work in HumViewer. Went to your web-site, it sent me here to report HumViewer problems.

Thanks for you help. I really enjoy using your application...

Keith

Offline Jdeee

• Unit(s): 1198
  • Software: 6.10
  • Accessories: External gps HS
« Reply #229 on: April 14, 2013, 09:55:58 PM »
Humviewer for Mac problem

I was able to install the program no problem but it won't open .dat files that I open on HV on pc?
Any suggestions or does anyone have a small .dat file I can download to try

Offline PaulB

• Manx Sea Fishing
  • Unit(s): 798 CXI HD SI Combo
  • Software: 6.25
« Reply #230 on: April 15, 2013, 03:47:01 AM »
Are you trying to open the files from a network location by any chance?  I was using HumViewer for Mac for the first time yesterday and found that it just wouldn't load any of my files stored on a NAS drive (where I store them for the PC version).  Copied everything to the Macs hard drive and it worked fine.

Paul

Offline mrj9600

• Home of HumViewer
  • Unit(s): 997C SI
  • Software: 6.300
  • Accessories: Speed sensor
« Reply #231 on: April 15, 2013, 08:14:10 AM »
Are you trying to open the files from a network location by any chance?  I was using HumViewer for Mac for the first time yesterday and found that it just wouldn't load any of my files stored on a NAS drive (where I store them for the PC version).  Copied everything to the Macs hard drive and it worked fine.

Paul

Hi Paul
Very good observation. I will test that one of the following days and release a bug fix version if that is the case (and if I can solve it :-))

/Martin

Offline Jdeee

« Reply #232 on: April 15, 2013, 08:58:25 AM »
Paul

No all the files are copied to the MAC Drive.
It says "This is not a valid hummingbird sonar recording file Could not find any .SON files for R00001"

I don't know if the files have been corrupted or what is wrong but I copied the files directly off my SD card (which works perfectly on XP machine) onto a USB Key and then copied them to the Mac HD?

If you have a short recording I would like to try that to see if its my files or the program

Thanks

Offline PaulB

• Manx Sea Fishing
« Reply #233 on: April 15, 2013, 09:41:01 AM »
Here's a link to the smallest recording I have (3MB download) :-

http://www.manxseafishing.com/R00105.zip

This works fine all my older version of HumViewer that I use on PC and the latest release on Mac.

Cheers,
Paul

Offline PaulB

• Manx Sea Fishing
« Reply #234 on: April 15, 2013, 09:45:26 AM »
Hi Paul
Very good observation. I will test that one of the following days and release a bug fix version if that is the case (and if I can solve it :-))

/Martin

Hi Martin,

It was incredibly slow, taking 15-20 minutes for each section of the sonar data and even taking more than 5 minutes just to do the GPS plot after which it would just freeze the program completely.  The same recording copied locally would open in 5-10 seconds.  Very fast wired network which opens in less than a minute on the PC version as well :)

Cheers,
Paul

Offline Jdeee

« Reply #235 on: April 15, 2013, 09:58:16 AM »
Thanks Paul

Your file works? I guess it's my files. Maybe it's the fact that it was recorded on an older version of software ? Strange !!!! At least Humviewer works great on Mac

Thanks again Paul and great work MrJ for porting it over to the DARKSIDE LOL
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 10:00:10 AM by Jdeee »

Offline Jolly Roger

• HB Addicted
  • Unit(s): HELIX 9 G3N, 998Cx SI, 959DI
  • Software: latest (mostly)
  • Accessories: AS GR50, custom towfish and: A boat!!
« Reply #236 on: April 22, 2013, 04:48:28 PM »
Hi guys,
I downloaded the latest version of Humviewer and cannot start it, because a windows shows up stating "could not create the Java virtual machine. Has anyone a solution how I can get the problem solved?

Thanks in advance and best regards / Harry
YES,......
WE SCAN!

Offline Rüdiger

« Reply #237 on: April 23, 2013, 03:06:58 AM »
Hi Harry

If not already done, uninstall Java and then install the latest version  for your Windows from the network.
Sometimes it helps. :-\

mvh
Rüdiger

Offline Jolly Roger

• HB Addicted
  • Unit(s): HELIX 9 G3N, 998Cx SI, 959DI
  • Software: latest (mostly)
  • Accessories: AS GR50, custom towfish and: A boat!!
« Reply #238 on: April 24, 2013, 02:26:35 PM »
Thanks 4 advice Rüdiger,
but it didn't help.
I uninstalled Hummviewer and Java, restarted the computer, downloaded the latest version of Java and Hummviewer. I tried both versions, the program only and the bundle version. It just don't work.

Regards/Harry
YES,......
WE SCAN!

Offline promapper

• Unit(s): 997C SI, 2-998C HD SI, 596C-HD-DI
  • Software: as of 5-08-13
  • Accessories: AS 360, I-Pilot Link, InterLink,Navionic
« Reply #239 on: May 01, 2013, 10:02:47 AM »
All I can say at the start is "Ditto" for all the great things you have provided us.

I was browsing the old posts and noticed a thread indicating HV displayed coordinates in Mercator.  Is that indeed the case or is it now WGS84?

I am running the 998SI and I find several things that are not matching.
     The data in the left windows does not match the data in the bottom.  It looks as though the two are reading the same data but at different points in the file.

I don't suppose you have a wish list set up for us?   ;D

Once again....GREAT VIEWER!  I only hope you will continue to enhance and improve it.

Offline ABAngler

• Unit(s): 1198si
« Reply #240 on: May 03, 2013, 10:12:59 AM »
Hi Martin,

Thanks for the work you do on the software.  I tried watching my first recording in the new humviewer (86) and it didn't work.  The sample provided by you works.  I'm running 6.610 on a 1198c and I'm wondering if that's the problem. I open my .dat file and nothing happens.

Thanks,

Offline DWilks

• Unit(s): 798siciHD
  • Software: 6.610
« Reply #241 on: May 22, 2013, 11:23:21 AM »
When trying to run Humviewer and you get the message 'could not create the Java virtual machine' or something close to that, you might solve the problem by increasing your 'Virtual Memory' on your computer.  Go into Control Panel\System\Advance System Properties\ and under the Advanced tab, within the Performance block, Click on Settings and then Advanced Tab under Performance Options
and then under 'Virtual memory' click the 'change' button and set this value to 3 times your available Ram Memory!  These instructions are for Windows 7, but XP and others should be somewhat the same.  If you can't find this, click on the 'Start' button and type in Virtual Memory and Windows will help you locate where it's done.  Will not solve every problem but it will some and it will help speed up your computer for games and video playback!  Try it and see.  You can always go back and set it to the default size...but I bet you won't.  Hope it helps somebody 8)

Offline Gudger

• Unit(s): 788ci HD
  • Software: 6.640
  • Accessories: N/A
No Export to csv
« Reply #242 on: June 06, 2013, 08:30:11 AM »
I can't get my data to export to csv.  My goal is to put this data into mapping software and make a 3-D terrain model of a lake so this is the most import export for me.  No message pops up when I try to export to csv and export to gpx and kml are working for this file.  The file is approximately two hours of shallow data and contains 85,000 points and I can send it to you if you'd like.

In an effort to try and work around this issue I tried making a sub-recording.  Every time I try to make a sub-recording Humviewer gets stuck on 33%.

-humminbird unit is 788ci HD combo
-Firmware Version 6.640
-Windows7 64bit

Thank-you in advance for your help.

Offline Oceanscience

• Z-Boat
    • The Oceanscience Group
« Reply #243 on: July 26, 2013, 02:53:52 PM »
Hello Martin,

How difficult would it be to add the additional feature of real time data viewing and acquisition by connecting the Humminbird SI to a laptop on the boat with a network cable (Humminbird Ethernet cable to RJ45)? Dr Depth (the old version) did this quite well but as we all know its replacement will not be around until Fall this year and we would really like to have this option sooner. Please let me know what you think and if this might be a possibility.

- Oceanscience

Offline mrj9600

• Home of HumViewer
« Reply #244 on: July 28, 2013, 09:11:49 AM »
Probably not that difficult if I had a unit that supported ethernet. Unfortunately I only have a 997C SI that do not.

Best regards
Martin

Hello Martin,

How difficult would it be to add the additional feature of real time data viewing and acquisition by connecting the Humminbird SI to a laptop on the boat with a network cable (Humminbird Ethernet cable to RJ45)? Dr Depth (the old version) did this quite well but as we all know its replacement will not be around until Fall this year and we would really like to have this option sooner. Please let me know what you think and if this might be a possibility.

- Oceanscience

Offline diver651

• Unit(s): 1197, 1198
  • Software: 6.47
  • Accessories: Interlink, Aux Speed/Temp,
« Reply #245 on: July 30, 2013, 12:29:34 PM »
Perhaps someone can find a way to set up an account through which people can contribute to Martin getting a new unit. If anyone who has ever appreciated the value of the Hummviewer program donated just a few dollars, I would have expected it should be easy to accumulate enough to cover the cost of a new unit and the shipping.

It would seem like the least we can do for what he has provided us free of charge.

Mike

Offline newkid4si

• Unit(s): 998c si
  • Software: v 5.70
« Reply #246 on: July 30, 2013, 11:34:52 PM »
Martin
    Your Humviewer program has added great value to my ability to review and understand my recordings.
    I appreciate what you have done for us. I would be happy to donate $50.00 toward the purchase of an
    ethernet enabled unit for you.

Mike

Offline bufordw

• Unit(s): Onix 10ciSI, Onix 10Ci,
  • Software: 2.700
  • Accessories: 360 TM, AS RC1, ULT i-Pilot Link,
« Reply #247 on: September 09, 2013, 01:07:52 PM »
Has anyone figured out how to donate?  I just downloaded the viewer for Mac and it works great.  I would like to donate but don't know how.

Team CTM

« Reply #248 on: November 10, 2013, 03:08:42 AM »
I downloaded the HumViewer for mac. But my mac says the file is damaged  so I can't open it or start te program. I run the latest mac software, Maverics..

Offline mrj9600

• Home of HumViewer
« Reply #249 on: November 11, 2013, 12:00:15 PM »
Hi
Weird, as I have not changed the files on the web. I guess I will need to build a new version and upload it.

Best regards
Martin

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo