Author Topic: Dr. Depth Question  (Read 3510 times)

Offline secretweapons

• Unit(s): 978ci SI
  • Software: 5.210
  • Accessories: None
Dr. Depth Question
« on: March 16, 2011, 01:39:57 AM »
I am interested in the Dr. Depth application. 

I have reviewed some of the videos on the Dr. Depth site and it looks good.  Since I am a bass fisherman, I am really interested in the shallow sections of the lake.  Specifically the 0 - 15 feet depths.  That is the main reason I purchased an SI finder.  As most folks know this area of most lakes is where you find weed growth because of the light penetration.  Can anyone tell me how Dr. Depth handles this?   I would expect that it might distort the bottom readings so it probably best to map in the early spring right after ice out so that weed growth is at a minimum.  Is this correct?  Even in early spring there is still weed growth present at these depths.  Do the maps generated by Dr. Depth  show reasonably accurate bottom contours where weeds are present?

Also along the same lines, how does Dr. Depth handle objects like trees, boulders, cars, buses, bridges etc.  Do they show up on the bottom contour?  I did not see anything in the videos that addressed this issue.

I noticed that Dr. Depth comes in three versions.  It looks like the standard version provides 2D and 3D mapping, but does not allow you to create waypoints from the maps that you generate so that you can transfer them back to the finder.  Is this correct?  I need the SI edition to do this I believe?

Can I transfer the newly created Dr. Depth maps back from my PC to the finder so that I can view them on the lake?  Is this feature available in any edition?

Thanks!

Dan

Offline bobn

• Unit(s): 997 csi
Re: Dr. Depth Question
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 01:58:50 AM »
The drdepth  experts are at this site , http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/DrDepth/ .     

Offline bobn

• Unit(s): 997 csi
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 09:02:13 PM »
     Drdepth does a good job with data spikes, has comprehensive editing features  and weeds can be dealt with.  It is really an issue with your sonar and its abilities, give any contouring software a bunch of false depth points and you get false contours. I used humviewer with drdepth to correct  a survey thru very thick weeds. Posted about the process on the yahoo drdepth site. Lots of work ,took sidescan data for a mosaic ,now have an accurate contour map and know the weed beds very well. So a two edged sword , lots of editing needed  , but  the editing and mosaic  provide info on the thickest weed areas and holes .
      If your sonar locks on to the other objects mentioned you have data spikes, depends on number of false points, easy to spot and fix in edit mode. All versions have waypoint capability with access to garmin ,hb and lowrance waypoints. Also custom waypoints can be created called user waypoints.  No problem to export waypoints to different units.
      Maps as .lcm are supported by lowrance units, easy works well. Hb units accept contours as tracks, very frustrating and limited .
      If you have a sidescan sonar the ss version is great and keeps getting better. Download the demo version ,read the help files  you won't be sorry.

Offline secretweapons

• Unit(s): 978ci SI
  • Software: 5.210
  • Accessories: None
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 11:04:41 PM »
Thanks for the advise.  Dr. Depth was very helpful in answering my questions and reflecting back, was probably the better place to ask my questions.  I am not used to people getting right back to me with answers.  Dr. Depth answered within hours of my sending the email.  I am sure this says a lot about his product. 

Thanks to the gentleman that took the time to post his own answers.  Both were very helpful to me and I appreciate it . 

I believe that I will be purchasing the product soon.  Thanks for the help!

Dan

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo