Author Topic: 698CI HD SI worth fixing?  (Read 11235 times)

Offline THEFERMANATOR

• Unit(s): MATRIX 35, 698CI HD SI
  • Software: 7.520
698CI HD SI worth fixing?
« on: April 03, 2015, 03:00:02 PM »
I'm putting this here since I don't see a 600 series specific section. I recently bought a 698CI HD SI from a friend of a friend type of deal(was used for less than 6 months), and the GPS is messing up in it. It loses it's fix CONSTANTLY once it finally locks in. I can be sitting perfectly still, and it shows me going from 2-8MPH from it jumping around so much if it will even hold a fix. I know the unit is less than a year old, but the guy bought it from BPS with cash, and made the mistake of throwing the receipt out, so I am stuck with it now. The side imaging portion and down imaging both work flawlessly in it, but the GPS is completely worthless like it is. I tried connecting a AS16/4 GPS antenna to it to see if it would lock in that way, but it won't even recognize the antenna is there, and stays with the internal, so I don't think connecting an external GPS antenna to it will solve my issue. My main question is do you guys feel it is worth sinking the $240+ into it to have it repaired? Has this unit proven to be fairly reliable? I did a search on it online, and found quite a few peopel complaining about it taking extended periods to get a GPS fix, but none of it just losing itself. When it does this the GPS shows as connected in the system view, but the GPS diagnostics will just lose ALL satelites at randomn, then come back. The other wierd thing is it will never lock onto more than 3 or 4 satelites at a time when it does finally lock in. It is currently running the latest 7.520 software, and has been COMPLETELY cleared out back to factory.

Any help is appreciated. I already think I spent to much on this unit, but I paid it because it looked brand new, and it was coming from somebody I knew took care of it. But the cost of repairing it will have me with as much in it as a new one, and I would only have a 3 month warranty on it after repair I was told by humminbird.
2004 CAROLINA SKIFF 19DLX with a 2004 HONDA 75HP

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
Re: 698CI HD SI worth fixing?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 12:09:18 AM »
I would try backing into the original software version before deciding ... And then even trying another new copy of the latest software version ...

You can determine what software version came on the unit by calling HB with the serial number ...

If HB will not give you the original version ... Email Greg with the complete model name and serial number and he will get you the original software version for that specific unit ...

Always remember to put the software version on a fully formatted clean SD Card ...

And Restore Factory Defaults before and after the update ...

Rickie
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 12:10:55 AM by rnvinc »

Offline navionic

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 04:38:19 AM »
Defective internal GPS module.
It need only be changed at the Humminbird . Software can not be corrected

Offline THEFERMANATOR

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 09:25:15 PM »
I took the boat out again today, and it would lock in OK, but it takes FOREVER to do so. Also today was my 1st time using it in deeper water. Got out to 30-32 feet of water with it, and found the side imaging will not work past about 80 feet either side. I drove over some artificial reefs with it, and anything much more than 60 feet away barely showed up on the side imaging. I tried messing with the sensitivity, but still wouldn't show anything furthur out.

And when i bought it it had the origanal factory software still in it. Updating it allowed it to work better, but it still isn't right. My 12 year old GARMIN handheld locks in with full differential lock in less than 2 minutes, this thing takes almost 20 minutes of goign slow or sitting still to get any sort of lock.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 09:29:12 PM by THEFERMANATOR »

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 09:24:33 AM »
Before doing anything else, I would make sure that this isn’t a power related issue by direct connecting the unit to a known good battery.  Low power can cause sonar and GPS problems.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline THEFERMANATOR

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 10:26:31 AM »
Before doing anything else, I would make sure that this isn’t a power related issue by direct connecting the unit to a known good battery.  Low power can cause sonar and GPS problems.

Already tried that, made no difference. The 1st time I powered it up and used it, it was with a dedicated battery. I even tried it with a different power cord just to make sure. When I connected it to the AS16/4 external antenna, it was on a friends boat. He has a 997 GPS, and it wouldn't even recognize the AS16/4 as being connected.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 10:57:20 AM »
The 600 series units cannot use an external GPS Receiver but if was a power related problem that should have solved it since the 997 ran fine.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline THEFERMANATOR

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 05:30:30 PM »
If an external antenna won't work, then I'm going to have a hard time spending more to have it fixxed than I bought it for. I only bought it for my skiff because I got a killer deal on it, but after doing some searching and finding close to a dozen posts on the internet of others having the same issue with this model since I posted this, I cannot justify fixxing it. From my internet searches, it seems pretty common for problems with the HUMMINBIRDS with internal antennas to either take a LONG time to lock in, or not lock in at all.

Offline navionic

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2015, 05:04:53 AM »
 Service Humminbird  quickly makes repairs. A few days.
Back fast shipment FedEx (free for warranty )
I think it's simple and professional.

Offline THEFERMANATOR

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2015, 11:03:40 PM »
Service Humminbird  quickly makes repairs. A few days.
Back fast shipment FedEx (free for warranty )
I think it's simple and professional.
I was quoted $240.50 plus shipping to fix it and get a 3 month warranty for a unit I know for a fact is less than a year old(but cannot prove because the receipt got tossed and it was purchased with cash), when I only spent $225 on it. And since my last post here, I have started reading amazon and other reviews, and found well over a dozen cases of people having the same exact issues I'm having with this same model. So it sounds to me like I need to cut my losses, and get rid of it and get another all in one unit for my skiff. The more I read on the HUMMINBIRDS with internal antennas, the more I feel I should avoid them. I have found dozens of people saying how they have to turn it on before they leave there house for it lock in, or having to power it down and reset it while underway to get GPS back. I just cannot justify fixxing it. I did not come here to troll this forum as I'm sure it sounds this way, and when I joined I was truly considering fixxing it, I just cannot see having almost $500 into a unit that I have found well over a dozen reports of the same problem with.

Offline navionic

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2015, 04:21:26 AM »
If you have lost your documents on the purchase(or they were not at all), it is not a warranty repair. What's wrong? Approve the purchase during the year and will be free of charge.
The question can not be solved by software, and only the intervention of the manufacturer.
I do not understand the meaning of these posts about anything ::)
It seems to me that the last owner of the unit knew about this problem and sold it as it is.
Sad story, but only paid repair. :(
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 04:50:35 AM by navionic »

Offline THEFERMANATOR

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2015, 02:25:04 PM »
The unit worked when I bought it as I hooked up to a battery, and it locked right in. Just my luck that my 1st trip out it started acting up. 1st trip out it didn't hardly work at all, last trip out it worked somewhat OK other than taking almost 20 minutes to lock in. And unfortunately I canot prove the date it was purchased, so no warranty. I was hoping others may have some advise about the issue to help me not spend the $240.50 I was quoted to have it repaired, but after doing some more homework, this seems to be a semi common issue with the HUMMINBIRDS and internal antennas. And I want an internal antenna all in one unit for this particuliar boat.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo