Author Topic: Setting up multi head units, one portable, with ipilot and sharing a transducer  (Read 15764 times)

Offline EZM

• Unit(s): ONIX 10 SI, 898c HD SI,858c (x2), 688ICE
  • Software: vX.XXX and v6.570
  • Accessories: Terrova i-Pilot Link, 5 port Ethernet
Hello Everyone,

I am new to the forum, from Alberta, Canada, and have purchased a new Lund Tyee and am awaiting delivery and would like to set up a multi head unit Hummingbird System in my boat.
I spent a lot of time searching through the forum and found a allot of information but am not 100% sure I have everything I need to move forward.
Conveniences I would like to have in the system are;
1)   Quick Connects on the Units (for overnight, at the lake, security)
2)   Be able to use the i-pilot link
3)   Be able to share a transducer(s)
I would also like, if possible, to have the ability to have 2 units at the helm, and to be able to disconnect one of the units, and move it to the bow as required. (the unit will be used in both places as the type of fishing dictates).
I am looking at the;
798ci HD SI – for the main unit which will stay in place at the helm
788ci HD DI – for the unit that will “move back and forth” bow to helm
If this is possible, what cords, modules and considerations, do I need to purchase and install (other than the extra quick connect base)?
I researched the AS interlink, and the 5 port Ethernet connection, but it looks like you cannot use both at the same time, is this true? Each gives me some, but not all, the features I’m looking for.
Some concerns are – disabling one of the internal GPS receivers so they don’t interfere with each other, is the transducer compatible capable of properly supporting both units without a loss in performance, etc….
How do I make this happen?
Is there a better choice of units that will give me what I need?
Help appreciated …….. ???

Offline ITGEEK

• Unit(s): 1198c -Team Watters SS - Lexerd SP
  • Software: 7.670
  • Accessories: XM Weather - Weathersense
I would not recommend setting up a system where you are
constantly moving a unit around.
Bad things may happen.
The Humminbird connections are rinky-dink at best, and
the more you remove and re-install them, the more likely
you will get a bad connection, or bend/break one of the
tiny connections.

If it were me, I'd permanently mount a unit at the console and one at the
bow.

If you are more into trolling/bait fishing than casting, then I'd say forget
about the one on the bow altogether.  Get yourself an 1198c for the console.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
EZM,
Forget the InterLink and stick with Ethernet capable units.

To be able to use the quick disconnect mounts and have connectivity between the units and use the iPilot Link; you have to stay with the 700 series units.  Most use the quick disconnect mounts for years without a problem.

The sharing a transducer part will be a problem with the units you listed.  The DI model units can only share a portion of their sonar data to and from another non-DI model unit.  Basically we are talking about the 200kHz sonar here.  So I’m not sure how that will work for you at the console as a second unit.  How were you wanting to use it at the console?  Is this the only location that you wanted to share sonar data?

There will be no problem with two GPS Receivers/units interfering with each other of mounted side-by-side.

Will need answers to the above questions before suggesting what you will need to buy to do all of this.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline EZM

Thanks for the quick reply Greg and other IT guy (member).

I definitely need a quick disconnect as I leave the boat at the lake overnight. Security is an issue even up here in peaceful and crime free Canada - lol. The 700 units, as Greg mentioned are the only series that will do want I need (disconnect and talk to each other). The 700's seem to be the only option for me. If the 1198 came on a quick disconnect and/or the world was full of honest people ... I'd agree with you.

70% of my fishing is done trolling. 75% of my trolling is done with the gas engine and not the i-pilot or the electric motor. The electric will be used 25% for trolling. With three guys in the boat, even with gas trolling, one guys is on the bow. It would be nice, but not absolutely necessary for him to have a display up there.

The i-pilot (directed from the GPS head unit) is a "very nice to have" as i can do more with it like follow contours, change waypoints, follow more trails etc.... and store more data, waypoints and paths.

Typically, or 70% of the time, Both units will be side by side at the helm. I will want to display GPS, Regular Sonar and Down Image and Side Scan Image - it's not important which display is on which unit at the helm. Both screens will be 50/50 splits.

When I move the second unit to the bow, I'm either still fishing (pulsing the electric trolling motor around or using the anchor feature on the i-pilot unit), or I could be trolling ..... gas most of the time and electric sometimes.

The views will largely depend on what we are doing ..... so it's hard to answer that question definitively.

If the transducers are not compatible, and I'm forced to buy two full functioning units 798's to run one transducer, to avoid a wiring and technical troubleshooting nightmare - I guess I can live with that. After all - i can order the second unit without a transducer and save a bit of money. I was thinking more or less about avoiding to pay the premium between the 788 vs 798.

I hope that answers your questions .... and thanks again for your help

EZM

Offline ITGEEK

EZM:
I would suggest before you buy, to go to Bass Pro Shops, or Cabela's and
have a look at the 700's first hand.
That is a smal screen.

And, it will get really small if you want to use multiple
views.

Best to check it out before you buy, or you might
be disappointed.

Offline EZM

I agree with you on that one - I am running two HDS 5 units (which have the same size screen) in my present boat and definitely can't go any smaller when doing a 50/50 split on those 5" displays.

The new boat, on order is a 1800 Lund Tyee Walleye boat so there is limited room on the dash and I have no way of securing the sonar/gps if I leave the boat on the slip at the lake.

5" is the biggest screen available with a quick disconnect. That's primarily why I'm getting 2 units.

Sometimes, when camping, you can't see the docks from the campsite and there are dozens of people trolling around the docks all night. A $2000 head unit might grow legs and walk away.

Not the ideal situation but it's basically down to the 700 series for me.

Transducer compatibility is the only issue I need to work out. If I need two transducers, not a big deal but the noise and interference might be an issue on a smaller boat like mine. I think they "might" end up maybe 6 feet apart at best. The SI, frequency, and width of the cone might be the issue I have.

I may have to match 798 with a 798 and drop the extra few hundred bucks.

That's my biggest problem in life right now ......... meanwhile there are children wondering about where their next meal is coming from.

More "first world problems" I guess ..... lol

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
And you could mount the 800 or 900 sized units on a RAM type mount.  Than all you would need to do is loosen the thumb screw to disconnect the cables and the release know on the mount and remove the units.

Something else to maybe think about (as opposed to two 798ci HD Si units); would be to go with a 2D only unit to go with the Side Imaging unit.  It could use the 200kHz and 83kHz 2D sonar from the Si unit’s transducer and be used to display the chart and 2D sonar.

If they are all Ethernet connected, then any of the units or unit positions can be used to control the i-Pilot Link motor.

Offline ITGEEK

EZM:
There are a few things you can do to help prevent theft:
You could engrave your name on the front of your unit as a deterrent.
You could also secure the unit with special head screws (allen, torx), that
most thiefs would not carry with them.
You could also install one of these locking devices:
http://durasafelocks.com/shop/electronics-locks/e-lock-swivel-mount-combo/
They are good.  I use them myself.

Of course a determined thief with enough time and tools can
steal just about anything, but if you are relatively close to your
boat to hear anything out of the ordinary, then you might be OK.

Offline ScottMN

• Unit(s): 1198c SI..597 HD DI..30+ Green Boxes
  • Accessories: 101-Terrova/iPilot/iLink/LakeMaster Maps
And you could mount the 800 or 900 sized units on a RAM type mount.  Than all you would need to do is loosen the thumb screw to disconnect the cables and the release know on the mount and remove the units.

Something else to maybe think about (as opposed to two 798ci HD Si units); would be to go with a 2D only unit to go with the Side Imaging unit.  It could use the 200kHz and 83kHz 2D sonar from the Si unit’s transducer and be used to display the chart and 2D sonar.

If they are all Ethernet connected, then any of the units or unit positions can be used to control the i-Pilot Link motor.

Hi All...We are getting close enough on this discussion to squeeze in my question (I Hope). I've got a 1198c SI on my helm now. I've always got my chart up but would like to see both DI & SI too. Since I haven't seen any positive response on this or configurable screens on the wish list discussions I'm considering a second unit to get what I want.

In March I'm getting the I-Pilot/I-Link setup and would like to know what (least Expensive) unit would work also as an Ice Fishing setup. With separate transducer of course. (I can make a case setup) I'd need to run my Ver. 4 Lakemaster charts in it on the ice too.

Thanks in advance! Scott
How many cables do you own for gadgets?

Offline ITGEEK

Scott,
I'm surprised there is no option to get chart, DI, and SI.
Are you running the newest software?

On my 1197, when DI was first made available, I'm pretty sure
I could get DI and SI at the same time, but not sure about
the chart.

In my opinion, the DI wasn't anything special.
It seemed cloudy at best, and I couldn't see much with it.
I guess the 1198 is like the 1197, where the DI is
just a different rendition of the SI (generated
by the software).
You may not be missing much by not having DI on an
On a unit with dedicated DI crystals, the DI may
be superb.

Offline EZM

Scott,

Based on my reasearch so far, and some work looking at the transducers and thier frequency, the only compatable units you will find will be those that have the SI technology. This is the only way you will be able to share transducers on your boat without interference.

Unfortunately, this comes at a premium price.

Also consider that only the 700 series and up offer ethernet connectivity to share data - so you are probably looking at the 798ci HD SI unit.

Also the 700 series comes with a quick disconnect base so you can easily take it out and use it for ice fishing. All you would have to do is order an additional quick disconnect base and you don't have to fiddle around too much every year.

Maybe someone out there knows otherwise .......... please correct me if I'm wrong.

Offline EZM

Pulled the trigger and had to make a descision Today so i went with;

Two 798ci HD SI units - this way I am 100% sure can share the transducer. Both will reside at the helm.

Ordered the Minn Kota Terrova 80 / US2 / i-Pilot Link bow mount trolling motor.

I am also putting a 596c HD (sonar only) at the bow and it will run off the transducer built into the Terrova 80 / US2 i-Pilot Link unit. This unit is compatable according to the chart provided by Minn Kota. I will need how figure out to connect the two together ....... I will save that for another post.

So ....... my revised question is ........ Assuming I want to connect the two units to share the transducer - is the AS EC 2E (2ft ethernet connector) all I need?

Offline EZM

Sorry I should have clarified - I'm asking, when connecting the two 798's together at the helm .... if the AS EC 2E cable is all I will need so that i can share the transducer? :-[

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Yes on the 596c HD being compatible with the Universal Sonar in the MK Terrova.  You will need the MKR-US2-8 to make the connection.

Along with the AS-EC-2E Ethernet Connection Cable you will also need two of the AS-EC-QDE Ethernet Adapter Cables.  The 700 series units have a different quick disconnect type connector on them and need the adapter to convert to the M12 8-pin Ethernet connectors that the extension cables use.

Offline EZM

I really apprechiate your help - this forum makes life alot easier ......

One more question - If I'm planning on running the I-Pilot Link from one of the 798's - is there a connection to be made from one of the 798's to the MK Terrova?

It is not clear on the Minn Kota or Humminbird website if this i-Pilot Link feature is wireless or a hard connection.

If so, what cord do I need?

Will I have an additional available port? (remember I'm using the ethernet port to connect the two 798's together)

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
This is a hardwired feature through the Ethernet system.  Since you are already using the single Ethernet port on each unit to connect to each other you will have to buy the 5-Port Ethernet Switch (AS-ETH-5PS) and in place of the AS-EC-2E cable you will now need to buy two AS-EC-XXE cables that will be long enough to reach from the 798ci HD Si units to where you mount the Ethernet Switch (could still be the two foot cables).

Offline EZM

Greg - I tried attaching a file (resides in Excel and will not format correctly in PDF) so i will e-mail to you instead. It is a schematic of so far what I've got.

2 problems I seem to have;

1) The Terrova most likely has only one input / output - so we have to decide if the priority is for the i-Pilot Link to "take orders" (paths, waypoints, etc.) from one of the 798s.

2) The 798's are unsing their one and only ethernet in put / out put and are plugged into the 5 port. I am assuming the MK will need to go in and out from the 5 port so there is a hard connection to and from the 798's. Is this possible?

Having only these options - this will render my bow mount unit, 596, useless as it is not ethernet capable, nor will it be connected to the MK to use the US2 transducer function. Sounds like my only solution - if #1 and #2 are my priorities and are to go with a 3rd 700 series unit, which is able to share the transducer, from the 798.

Maybe I need to scrap everything and start over ..........

Offline EZM

Update to forum members -

I sent Greg my schematic and a few questions - Greg answered my questions so here is the result;

The Minn Kota Terrova 80 US2 i-Pilot Link unit, has a separate US2 input/output to the i-Pilot Link which has is own dedicated input/output.

That solves many issues and allows the Terrova to take commands from the helm using the i-Pilot Link.

There is no need to have the bow mount unit connected to the helm, if you choose to use the US2 built in transducer.

Thank you all for all your patience in answering my questions as my project has evolved ..........

EZM

Offline EZM

I just re-read some of the first posts on this thread and now understand your questions a little more clearly.

If I'm running the 798ci HD SI on a 50/50 split screen - displaying DI one one pane, and SI on the other pane you are saying a "2D" unit can do my chart and regular sonar ............as a 50/50 split.

A 2D unit, assuming I'm correct, would be a 788ci HD Combo (that I can purchase without the transducer) and it would work off the 83/200 frequency off the 798's standard XNT-9-SI-180-T transducer......

So now - all I have to do is plug everything into my 5 port;

- 798ci HD SI Combo ;
- 788ci HD Combo CHO ;
- i-Pilot Link
- A third unit for the bow maybe another 788ci HD Combo CHO

This leaves me one port open and all units functioning properly, sharing one transducer with zero issue ..... am I correct here .....

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Yes you are!

Offline EZM

Hallelujah !!!!!!! I have seen the light .......

I have never claimed to be the sharpest stick in the bundle ..........

Thanks Greg ........ I guess I better start ordering stuff ........

Offline LocDown

• Fishing Videos
  • Unit(s): 1199 H12G2N-HW-MSI
I think you might need to have the 798 turned on the whole time so you can share the transducer...

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
He will LocDown but with the other units sharing the sonar data, via the Ethernet connection, he will get zero sonar interference from them.

Offline EZM

The 798 is going to be powered up anytime I'm using any head unit - so that's not a big deal ....... the only unit that might be off while the other units are running might be the bow mount unit.

I can't wait to get this system up and running and slay some monsters.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo