Author Topic: 398 ci/si issues  (Read 4045 times)

Offline dsricketts

• Unit(s): 398 SI
398 ci/si issues
« on: March 08, 2015, 08:58:21 PM »
I picked up a 398 si unit this past summer, and I almost feel like it's having issues. The first thing is that I have yet to see the fish id function work. It will never id ANY fish like it's supposed to. Next, I never see arches on the unit. I see a bunch of jumbled clumps but no arches. A buddy with a cheap lowrance even picks them up when I cant. Is this a possible transducer issue? I also never pick up anything other than the bottom while in clear mode. I can turn sensitivity all the way up with no change.

Ideas?
Suggestions?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 09:05:43 PM by dsricketts »

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Re: 398 ci/si issues
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 11:50:44 AM »
Welcome to the Humminbird Side imaging Forums dsricketts and fellow Alabama brother!

This could be a transducer, unit, power supply issue or maybe this is standard operation.  We really can’t tell based only on what information you have given us so I’m asking for more.  One thing you can try that will help in the diagnosis is to cross-test with someone else that is using a (non-DI model) Humminbird unit as most use the same 200/83kHz 2D sonar, even the Si model units.  See if your unit acts the same on their boat and if theirs works right on your boat.  You can also post some Screen Snapshots of what you are seeing, in particular these “jumbles clumps” of fish.  Let us know any pertinent menu settings for these.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline dsricketts

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 12:16:31 PM »
Greg,

First of all, thanks for the reply. What I want to make sure of is that I get this worked out before the warranty is up in June.

I will see if I can find a comparable setup to test on, but I'm not sure right off if I can.

The Fish ID that is supposed to show fish (I realize this isn't always the most accurate) never shows up on the screen. I have had this unit since last year and I try it every time I go out. It has never worked.

In Clear Mode, I also never see anything between the surface and bottom. This feature is said to minimize noise and on screen clutter, showing only bottom and fish. I have turned sensitivity all the way up and it never shows anything in the water column.

In the Switchfire mode, it shows a lot, almost too much. I have verified that I can see my lure if I drop it down below the transducer. So, I would think this would show fish. In clear mode, it will not show the lure dropping below the transducer however.

I will be going out this weekend, so I'll get some screenshots. But, the main issues with fish not showing in Clear Mode and the FISH ID icons not working.....there isn't a way to show these issues. It's more of a Lack thereof.

I have also notice and the lower right corner of the lcd display, if you ever so slightly touch the screen while on, there is an area of maybe a quarter of an inch by maybe an inch long that will distort. Almost seems like issue with the screen. This doesn't seem to cause a major issue, just sharing this as well.

Thanks Greg!

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 12:29:58 PM »
I understand about not being able to show that the Fish ID and lack of any other sonar returns besides the lake bottom are showing but I was wanting to see more these jumbled clumps of fish.  Please use default settings for this if you can.

What version software are you running in your 398 unit?

Offline dsricketts

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 12:39:56 PM »
Will get some shots for you, thanks for your time!

It's whatever is on your site. I think the software hasn't been updated in many years.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 02:15:33 PM »
The last release was for 6.730 which was back in 2013.  Wow, did not realize the 398 had been out that long already.

Offline dsricketts

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 03:15:21 PM »
Yeah, looks like the initial release software was all that was ever released for that unit. Thanks for checking though. Just want to get the issues worked out before the season gets started good.

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 05:45:48 PM »
Try adjusting the surface clutter to 10 in clear mode and see if the unit is even picking up particulate in the upper water column ...

And even try setting the Transducer Select menu to Dual Beam to give the 2d transmitter more opportunity to work without the SI transmitters being mixed into the ping sequence ...

Rickie
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 05:48:19 PM by rnvinc »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo