Other Humminbird Products > Other Humminbird Fish Finders

Helix 5 and Chirp Question

(1/1)

cramar_2112:
Hi, I'm looking at the Helix 5 and noticed that for a bit more money I can get a competitors unit that has Chirp.
With all the different model combinations and terms it gets a bit confusing on what each unit has or is missing, just wondering if the lack of Chirp in the Helix 5 is a big deal or not.
Also, wondering if Chirp and Dual Beam + are essentially the same thing.
I fish freshwater and typically less than 50 feet.

Thanks

rnvinc:
Dual Beam is HB's moniker for 2d that is capable of 2 separate fixed frequencies ...

CHIRP is a Sonar technology that sweeps a broad range of frequencies at the same time ... This has the potential to allow much more data to be returned and processed by the CHIRP processor ...

There are many levels of CHIRP ...depending on the equipment used ... And price goes up as the equipment quality goes up ...

Most of the lower and mid priced CHIRP is indeed still transmitting a sweep frequency range ...but transmitting that signal thru regular stock xducers that are designed for fixed frequency pulse ...

The higher priced CHIRP is also transmitting a sweep frequency signal ...but transmitting that signal thru very expensive xducers designed specifically for a CHIRP system ...

There is advantage in increased target separation and cleaner images in the lower and mid priced CHIRP ...but it may not be as much of a difference that one could discern ...

Rickie

cramar_2112:
Thanks for that info!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version