Author Topic: Helix 9 MSI G3N does not start  (Read 2207 times)

Offline Tonitester

• Unit(s): Helix 9 Mega Si+ G3N
Helix 9 MSI G3N does not start
« on: September 02, 2023, 03:12:09 AM »
On my last fishing trip my Helix 9 turned off and cannot be switched on again. When pressing the power button the lights of all switches are illuminated and the unit is drawing 60 mA (without transducer). The screen remains black. The lights turn off and the current goes to 0 when releasing the power button. There is definitely no power problem. I even disassembled the unit and connected it internally to a stabilized power supply. I wonder if this can be a software problem but the unit does not even seem to boot. Anyone who had a similar experience? Any idea about the cause?  ;D

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
Re: Helix 9 MSI G3N does not start
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2023, 10:19:13 PM »
Try to boot the unit with no map card  ...

If that doesn’t work you will need to call HB  ... 1-800-633-1468

Rickie

Offline navionic

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2023, 02:38:16 AM »
On my last fishing trip my Helix 9 turned off and cannot be switched on again. When pressing the power button the lights of all switches are illuminated and the unit is drawing 60 mA (without transducer). The screen remains black. The lights turn off and the current goes to 0 when releasing the power button. There is definitely no power problem. I even disassembled the unit and connected it internally to a stabilized power supply. I wonder if this can be a software problem but the unit does not even seem to boot. Anyone who had a similar experience? Any idea about the cause?  ;D
Rather, hardware and this is a device replacement.

Offline Tonitester

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2023, 09:33:36 AM »
Thanks for caring about my problem. Removing all cards does not make any difference  :(
I already emailed the support and got the advice to check for bad connections (although I confirmed in advance that I did these basic checks; but there is probably not very much they can do without inspecting the unit).
As I am not located in the US (but in Europe) I wonder if the telephone support is available for me. And it would only make sense if I get somebody of the technical stuff on the phone. One option might be to purchase a circuit board as a replacement part. I would be able to do the replacement but unfortunately I did not find any information where to purchase such a board. If anybody has an idea please let me know.

Offline navionic

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2023, 05:05:41 AM »
Thanks for caring about my problem. Removing all cards does not make any difference  :(
I already emailed the support and got the advice to check for bad connections (although I confirmed in advance that I did these basic checks; but there is probably not very much they can do without inspecting the unit).
As I am not located in the US (but in Europe) I wonder if the telephone support is available for me. And it would only make sense if I get somebody of the technical stuff on the phone. One option might be to purchase a circuit board as a replacement part. I would be able to do the replacement but unfortunately I did not find any information where to purchase such a board. If anybody has an idea please let me know.
Boards are not sold separately.
You can send the instrument for service in the USA.
If you bought the device from a European dealer, then contact him. By the name of the unit, it is most likely out of the warranty period. For the cost, you can focus on this price $257.45+ shipping costs to the US and back if you can not agree with the dealer.

Offline Tonitester

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2023, 11:53:13 AM »
I contacted the dealer. Meanwhile I received a reply that I have to send the unit to the distributor. In the next step I will contact the distributor and probably send in the unit.

Offline navionic

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2023, 04:35:08 AM »
According to external signs, the device was heavily flooded and water got inside.

Offline Tonitester

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2023, 10:47:11 AM »
According to external signs, the device was heavily flooded and water got inside.

I don't think so. The unit has never been submerged and even has been shielded from rain. Inside the housing there is no indication whatsoever of water intrusion. I can imagine that water can in principal cause such a result but I strongly doubt that in this case the malfunction is caused by a water damage.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo