Author Topic: Problem with HB PC  (Read 10464 times)

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
Problem with HB PC
« on: March 23, 2010, 05:06:37 PM »
I organized all my waypoints In HB PC...putting all waypoints from each fishing bay into their own separate new folder.....

I renamed each .gpx folder to the name of the bay that the waypoints were created in....

I, then, closed HB PC....

I, then, re-opened HB PC ..and all the new .gpx folders that I created have disappeared.....sort of...

I can try to "re"-create another folder by the same name as before and I get an error saying that folder already exists....but, yet, they are not showing in the pc tab....

I know the .gpx folders are in the program somewhere because I have tried to create each and every .gpx folder that I created from the previous session...and I get the same error..."Cannot rename XXXXXX.gpx to xxxxxx.gpx. This folder already exists. Type another name for this folder"

How do I make the folders show in the pc tab that I know I created from a previous session...??

Offline Jolly Roger

• HB Addicted
  • Unit(s): HELIX 9 G3N, 998Cx SI, 959DI
  • Software: latest (mostly)
  • Accessories: AS GR50, custom towfish and: A boat!!
Re: Problem with HB PC
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 02:31:48 PM »
rnvinc,
try to open all folders that are closed. Maybe the new ones are saved somwhere in there.
If you don't find them, use the search function of windows:
Click on start and choose search and then Files and folders. Type the name of the folder you saved in the box and start the search. Then you should see where the folders are saved on your PC.

Regards / Harry
YES,......
WE SCAN!

Offline rnvinc

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 08:49:16 AM »
Thanks Harry...but I found them with Greg's help on the other forum....

I didn't realize the waypoints were not stored in the main page of the  HB PC program...

They are in the gpx files that HB PC stores them in...so I have to open them each time I want to use HB PC...

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 09:25:42 AM »
Did not think of this before but look under Edit – Preferences and see if the box next to “Close all files when exiting” is checked or not.  If it is checked than click the box to uncheck it and see if your bay.gpx files are there when you close than open HummPC again.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline rnvinc

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 08:15:25 AM »
You are correct again Greg.....

I unchecked the box in preferences and the bay.gpx files stayed on the main "PC tab" even after closing and reopening the program....

Offline skipt

• Unit(s): 597 ci di
  • Software: 6.090
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 10:03:40 PM »
Why would I want to leave files open upon exiting?

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 03:53:09 PM »
Because if you are like me you will close the file before doing everything you meant to do! 
Of course I also send e-mail messages and post on forums without attaching the files I meant too…

It is more of a last used deal.  More likely that is the file you will open and use again.

Offline skipt

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 05:00:53 PM »
Sorry, the concept of leaving a file open when its application is closed seems foreign to me.  For example, when I close Word, all of my word docs must be closed.  Furthermore, what happens to the DAT or GPX files that have been "left open" when I shut down the computer?  What am I missing?

Offline skipt

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 05:51:46 PM »
And while I have your attention, a few more questions if you don't mind......

In the list of waypoints, what is the meaning/use of the “Shared” (checked or lock icon) setting?  Why can I change the setting for waypoints in the Home folder but not (even for the same waypoint) in the other folders?

Seems like whenever I open a DATA file in HBPC it automatically creates a corresponding GPX file in the Preferences -> GPX File Location folder.  Is this something I should care about?  How can I take advantage of this?

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 11:06:50 AM »
skipt,
I have never had a problem with leaving the GPX files opened when exiting HumminbirdPC or shutting down the computer.

The “shared” option refers to allowing another unit the ability to use the waypoint data when you have two or more units Ethernet connected.  If you do not have another unit Ethernet connected than this setting will not do anything.

The navigation data (Nav Data) is stored in the Humminbird units in our *.HWR format.  This is converted to the *.GPS file format in HumminbirdPC as it is a more universally used format for GPS data.  You can take advantage of this by being able to use the *.GPX file in other programs.  Some use this ability to move waypoints into and out of HumminbirdPC (and their units) to display their waypoints (or create new ones) on programs that show maps on their computers.

Offline skipt

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 08:43:46 PM »
Thanks for your expertise Greg.  HBPC seems a little quirky, but I think I am catching on.

In reality, I don't think the GPX files that are "left open" are really open.  I did some testing, and I think if I close HBPC and some GPX files are "left open", I can still edit them with a text editor, or even move or delete those files.

I believe what is happening is that HBPC remembers a pointer to each "left open" file and then automatically opens each file the next time you open HBPC.  The file isn't really "left open", it is just remembered.  I suppose this can be convenient once you realize what is really going on.  In some ways it is like other programs that allow you to save your "workspace" which can be a collection of files.

In one of my tests I "left open" a file, and with HBPC closed, I moved the file elsewhere.  When I re-opened HBPC it did not open the file, obviously because it did not know that I moved the file.  In this case HBPC did not give a warning either, such as "Open File XXX Not Found."

So then I closed HBPC, moved the file back to its original location, and then re-opened HBPC.  HBPC did not open the file automatically.  I believe if HBPC cannot find a file that was previously "left open" it deletes its internal pointer to the previously "left open" file and proceeds as normal.

What do you think about these observations?

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 10:51:48 AM »
That certainly sounds like what is happening.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo