Author Topic: Boat Icon  (Read 6857 times)

Offline Wallin

Boat Icon
« on: June 20, 2013, 06:31:44 PM »
Can I change a setting so that the boat icon stays a boat icon at slower speeds.  I really need it to be a boat icon at .3 mph.

And how does that follow contour work?  I've tried it and it just doesn't seem to work.  Is there a way I can check to see if the hb is seeing my minn kota?

Thanks.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Re: Boat Icon
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 11:15:07 AM »
Which Humminbird unit do you have?
What software version is it running?
Which GPS Receiver are you suing with it?
What mapping card are you using in your Humminbird unit?

Look on page 25 of the i-Pilot Link’s operation manual: “Verifying Installation on the Humminbird Fishfinder”.  It should show up in the Accessory Test View.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 02:19:44 PM »
The boat icon turns into a circle at below 0.6mph...

GPS speed is derived by the satellites detecting where you are at "point A" ....and then detecting where you are at "point B"... And then calculating speed by how long it took you to move from "point A" to "point B"...

Boat icon position on the map is determined by the satillites acknowledging where you are...if the boat hasn't moved far enough on the water...then the satillites don't know if you've moved or not...so the icon turns into a "circle" while the unit waits for a definitive acknowledgement from the satillites that you have moved from "point A"....
With the inherent inaccuracies of consumer GPS ...coupled with slow speed operation (below 0.6mph)..your boat has to actually move several feet on the water (and several seconds of time)...before the satellites definitively acknowledge that you have actually moved from "point A"...and the boat is just not going to move very many linear feet at 0.3mph...

All this mumbojumbo means is that "slow boat speed" does not give the satillites enough "definitive distance traveled between "A" and "B" to feed new GPS data to the head unit for the unit to khow to move the icon on the chart...therefore the icon turns into a circle because it really just doesn't know where you actually are...this is why the circle is stationary on the chart until you move the boat far enough on the water to recognize your "new point B"....and then the circle moves a fraction of an inch on the chart...to your new "point B"...

To keep a constant boat icon on the chart...boat speed must be 0.6mph or above...for the unit to get successive new GPS data that the unit will then display as boat icon movement on the chart ...

The new HB AS GPS HS antenna antenna has a "heading sensor" (compass) in it that will allow the unit to know the orientation of the bow of the boat to continually show the boat icon as a boat icon...

But even with the AS GPS HS antenna ...movement of the boat icon on the chart is still tied to the aforementioned description above of the satellites recognizing where you are at "point A" and then waits until it has definitive acknowledgement that you have moved to "point B" before the unit will move the boat icon on the chart...

Rickie
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 03:55:50 PM by rnvinc »

Offline Wallin

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 04:12:31 PM »
The boat icon turns into a circle at below 0.6mph...

GPS speed is derived by the satellites detecting where you are at "point A" ....and then detecting where you are at "point B"... And then calculating speed by how long it took you to move from "point A" to "point B"...

Boat icon position on the map is determined by the satillites acknowledging where you are...if the boat hasn't moved far enough on the water...then the satillites don't know if you've moved or not...so the icon turns into a "circle" while the unit waits for a definitive acknowledgement from the satillites that you have moved from "point A"....
With the inherent inaccuracies of consumer GPS ...coupled with slow speed operation (below 0.6mph)..your boat has to actually move several feet on the water (and several seconds of time)...before the satellites definitively acknowledge that you have actually moved from "point A"...and the boat is just not going to move very many linear feet at 0.3mph...

All this mumbojumbo means is that "slow boat speed" does not give the satillites enough "definitive distance traveled between "A" and "B" to feed new GPS data to the head unit for the unit to khow to move the icon on the chart...therefore the icon turns into a circle because it really just doesn't know where you actually are...this is why the circle is stationary on the chart until you move the boat far enough on the water to recognize your "new point B"....and then the circle moves a fraction of an inch on the chart...to your new "point B"...

To keep a constant boat icon on the chart...boat speed must be 0.6mph or above...for the unit to get successive new GPS data that the unit will then display as boat icon movement on the chart ...

The new HB AS GPS HS antenna antenna has a "heading sensor" (compass) in it that will allow the unit to know the orientation of the bow of the boat to continually show the boat icon as a boat icon...

But even with the AS GPS HS antenna ...movement of the boat icon on the chart is still tied to the aforementioned description above of the satellites recognizing where you are at "point A" and then waits until it has definitive acknowledgement that you have moved to "point B" before the unit will move the boat icon on the chart...

Rickie

So basically what you're trying to say is no.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 04:16:23 PM »
Correct; but if you could buy and use the GPS-HS it would always show as a boat icon.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline rnvinc

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 07:02:03 PM »
Correct; but if you could buy and use the GPS-HS it would always show as a boat icon.

Believe me...the AS GPS HS antenna is well worth the money for slow speed operation...

My favorite fishing technique is slow trolling for crappie at 0.2-0.4mph...this AS GPS HS antenna makes slow speed GPS operation pleasure-able . ..

It will show which way your boat is pointing even at 0.0mph ...

Rickie
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 07:05:50 PM by rnvinc »

Offline Wallin

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 07:35:52 AM »
Believe me...the AS GPS HS antenna is well worth the money for slow speed operation...

My favorite fishing technique is slow trolling for crappie at 0.2-0.4mph...this AS GPS HS antenna makes slow speed GPS operation pleasure-able . ..

It will show which way your boat is pointing even at 0.0mph ...

Rickie

saweet thanks.

Offline rnvinc

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 09:27:04 AM »
You will need a minimum version of software to operate the AS GPS HS antenna...

List your unit model and Greg (or someone) can tell you which version number you will need...

FYI...there are many reports of images in the newer software versions being not so good...
Also..there are many reports of images in the newer software versions being actually better...

My 1197 on the newer version is not so good...(see here... http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index.php?topic=5501.msg34590#msg34590 )

I load the new version when I need the "slow speed"advantage of using the AS GPS HS antenna...
I load my stable 6.310 version when I need to capture pretty snapshots for posting or study...

Rickie

Offline TroyBoy30

• Unit(s): 1198
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 07:28:01 AM »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo