Author Topic: So what would you do?  (Read 4686 times)

Offline BillM

So what would you do?
« on: May 09, 2013, 10:17:31 AM »
Recently picked up a HB 898c HD SI along with a Minn Kota Terrova 80lb w/ I-Pilot Link...   Currently the units aren't talking to each other due to the HB not having 6.610 installed.  Problem is from the reviews of this latest firmware update, I'd be crazy to install it.   However without it I've got $3300 worth of equipment I just purchased that doesn't communicate with each other.    From the limited use of the 898c, it's working awesome as is..   The last thing I want to do is hinder it's performance..   So the question is, if 6.610 is that bad, when should we expect HB to be providing us with a more stable release?    To say I'm disappointed is an understatement, I've been working in the IT field for almost 20 years.  If I deployed glitchy software to our production environment that actually affected the firm, I'd lose my job in an instant.    Regardless, 6.610 is out there and there's not much anyone can do about that now.   Does anyone have any idea on when HB will be releasing an update to 6.610 that fixes all the problems it's caused? 

Offline 4d-rock

• Unit(s): 997c SI, 778c, 570
  • Software: 6.30
Re: So what would you do?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 12:55:20 PM »
Sorry about the issues you are having.  But I agree, it is truly mind boggling for a company the size of Humminbird, and the price of the products they sell. to not have the firmware fully de-bugged before it goes out.  It isn't even a huge deal if a bug does get through, but when that happens you need to be on it and fix it.  That's really makes a good company into a great company in terms of service.

Offline Gattlin

• Walking the shores of Galillee
  • Zebco 202 Musky hunters club:P
  • Unit(s): 898C SI & 858C Combo
  • Accessories: Lakemaster chips, Ethernet
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 01:08:06 PM »
 Try and find the older gps puck and drop back the firmware and cross your fingers and wait for a firmware update.
 I found a place on Amazon or E-bay don't remember which with the older puck but the guy was off his rocker asking $250 or so for them ouch!
I went ahead and bought the newest gps puck I,m making a portable unit and was going to stick the new puck on my boat.
But I,ve sense changed my mind and I,m going to put the new puck on the portable Unit because I'll just be using the GPS\Lakemaster chip anyway.
There';s sonar on Dad,s boat already. But now I'll have to switch back and forth between the older up date and the newest one when the 858 comes back to the bow WTH!  :o
Heck is that HD unit even backward compatible with the older puck?

All the Best
Gat
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 01:11:44 PM by Gattlin »
Just one last cast.

Offline RivRunR

• Lowe Roughneck 1752 VPT
  • Unit(s): 898c SI, i-Pilot Link
  • Software: 6.61
  • Accessories: GPS, WeatherSense
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 01:13:30 PM »
I have the 898 c SI and Terrova 55 with iPilot Link.
Installed the 6.60 and then the 6.61 and haven't had issues with either update.
FHB

Offline Gattlin

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 01:33:13 PM »
 I guess I'll just have to try it.  ;D Back up the firmware that,s on it the "858" and go. The firmware on the 898 I have I wasn't impressed with but I can't remember what update it on the 898 we still have Ice here in central Mn and it's what May 9th!!! The 858 has a way better picture than the 898 for some reason. I,m thinking boat tilt and transducer angle maybe I did add a smaller gell battery hidden into the bow. :-\
Just one last cast.

Offline BillM

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 04:24:26 PM »
Try and find the older gps puck and drop back the firmware and cross your fingers and wait for a firmware update.
 I found a place on Amazon or E-bay don't remember which with the older puck but the guy was off his rocker asking $250 or so for them ouch!
I went ahead and bought the newest gps puck I,m making a portable unit and was going to stick the new puck on my boat.
But I,ve sense changed my mind and I,m going to put the new puck on the portable Unit because I'll just be using the GPS\Lakemaster chip anyway.
There';s sonar on Dad,s boat already. But now I'll have to switch back and forth between the older up date and the newest one when the 858 comes back to the bow WTH!  :o
Heck is that HD unit even backward compatible with the older puck?

All the Best
Gat

I'm still running stock firmware that came with the unit, I haven't touched a thing..   Both units are working great, except without 6.610 installed, they won't link up (Which is expected)...   So I've got two choices here, I install 6.610, get them talking and hope the performance of the 898c doesn't suffer, or I wait for HB to come out with an update to 6.610 which fixes all the issues it has caused with the units.

So I guess I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place :) 

Offline Gattlin

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 05:21:27 PM »
 Maybe I should check my sanity at the door. I was going to FleetFarm to look at a couple Terrovas the 80 pound one in particular. But maybe I should wait till the dust settles a bit. Seems to be a lot of users stuck in the same rut. I don't know if I want jump on the band wagon just to twiddle my thumbs. Good Luck.

All the Best
Gat
Just one last cast.

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 12:26:29 AM »
Most issues related to the 6.610 software are image quality issues...

Performance and glitches seem to be very few reports...

So it's a very good chance that the 6.610 will work fine... You just aren't going to get very good images until HB fixes something..

Some may choose to do what I have been doing ...::keep an older "stable" version AND the 6.610 on separate SD cards with the unit...

I load 6.610 to use the AS GPS HS (or in your case might be the iLink)...
I load 6.310 to make pretty images...(6.310 is my backup "stable" version for my 1197)...

Pain in the *****

But it works for now ...

Rickie

Offline TroyBoy30

• Unit(s): 1198
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 07:47:50 AM »
no problems with 6.610 on my 1198's

Offline BillM

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 09:39:57 AM »
I'll most likely bite the bullet and install 6.610, thanks for the feedback boys! 

Offline raypla

• Unit(s): 898 HD SI
  • Accessories: I-Link
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2013, 04:38:29 PM »
HB pushed out the newest update yesterday.  Give it a go and let us know how it works.
16.5' Tracker Deep-V
50 hp Mercury
55lb Terrova I-Link
898 HDSI

Offline Gattlin

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2013, 06:49:37 PM »
HB pushed out the newest update yesterday.  Give it a go and let us know how it works.
Sweet I'll have to get the update thats on them backed up and I'll give the good ol Collage go :)
Just one last cast.

Offline BillM

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2013, 08:51:27 AM »
Updated the 898c HD, I-Pilot Link controller and the remote lastnight.  Haven't had a chance to get it out on the water yet, but the updates went smooth at least :)   Nice to control the Terrova from the HB now :) 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal