Author Topic: DrDepth mapping software  (Read 79688 times)

Offline albe

• Unit(s): 998c SI
  • Software: 7.670
  • Accessories: DrDepth BT/SS mapping
Re: DrDepth mapping software
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2013, 10:49:10 AM »
What are you expecting to do as far as mapping goes? As of now, the only thing you can do for mapping that works with Lakemaster, Navionics and XContour maps is to have the contour lines and depth labels overlay any of those maps on your unit.
You can change the color, type of line and thickness of line you want after it is loaded on your unit by going into the Navigation menu and change the looks of the trail.

If you make a map with DrDepth, all of the contour lines are concidered as one track. So you can make up individual maps and load them on your unit and not have to worry about internal memory being used up for any other tracks to show on your screen.

Offline mako101

• Unit(s): 798si hd
  • Software: 5.210
« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2013, 05:27:45 PM »
albe, some areas we fish have no contour maps at all. It's a shame that Humminbird has not allowed small third party software companies to produce "proper" maps on their machines - they appear to have a tie-in with Navionics which prevents it. For Lowrance units it is possible to produce genuine contour files which display as normal maps.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 05:31:14 PM by mako101 »

Offline albe

« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2013, 12:05:04 PM »
It makes no difference if there are maps on the screen or not. Anywhere that you make a recording when you are on a body of water and make a map from that recording, will show on the screen when you are at that spot again later on.

Or if you just want to see what it looks like on your unit at home, just load the map onto your unit, zoom out to see where the contour lines or map show up and cursor to that area of the screen and zoom in to see what it looks like.

I have not made a full lake map as of yet but have made up many maps of different areas of lakes that I often fish to get better contours of those areas.

I have attached a snapshot from my 998c SI of an area I mapped and is shown overlaying a Lakemaster map to show how it looks on a Humminbird unit. This is a map made with 1 foot contours overlaying a map that has 3 foot contours.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 12:07:36 PM by albe »

Offline diver651

• Unit(s): 1197, 1198
  • Software: 6.47
  • Accessories: Interlink, Aux Speed/Temp,
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2013, 12:32:11 PM »
Not sure if it is relavent to this string, but it was announced yesterday that Dr. Depth has been aquired by another party. Not sure how long it will be before we find out, but all sales have been suspended pending the transfer.

Mike

Offline D S

• Unit(s): 1198 ,798hd , ipilot link and 360tm
  • Software: 7.5
  • Accessories: HDSI reefmaster Dr Depth autocharts pro
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2013, 05:32:11 PM »
albe,
i use 798 with DRDepth and find  that when i load the track with optional HWR for depth...
 that my waypoints get all used up  then i have none left  to utilize while fishing on HB unit ,
so  therfore have not been using HWR to show depth labels...
PS...i fish a river system with numerous contour changes
and have tried 0-10scale and 0-20 scale with DRDepth map generation
am i doing something wrong?? are there other options??suggestions??
stgr

Offline mrj9600

• Home of HumViewer
  • Unit(s): 997C SI
  • Software: 6.300
  • Accessories: Speed sensor
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2013, 09:27:15 AM »
Not sure if it is relavent to this string, but it was announced yesterday that Dr. Depth has been aquired by another party. Not sure how long it will be before we find out, but all sales have been suspended pending the transfer.

Mike

Send an email to the DrDepth support email address and got a link to this back:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/DrDepth/message/3832

From that it seems like we dont have to worry about the future of DrDepth.

Offline albe

« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2013, 09:01:23 AM »
I can see that your problem is being too many minute depth changes in the total area of your map. You changed from 1' contours to 2' contours and still have a problem. I would suggest making smaller sections of the river for a series of river maps. That way you can load just the area you are going to fish that day. If you are going out of the area of your map on the unit, just delete that navigation data and load the new section of river to your unit.

The only other possible solution is to make wider contour separations if you need to keep the map the same size.

Hope you will be able to make a decision on what you really need for contour separations and still be able to have a decent map.

Offline albe

« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2013, 05:30:13 PM »
I know that many DrDepth users and fans have been wondering about this:

Johnson Outdoors Acquires DrDepth
 Deal Includes Assets of DrDepth & Mapping Technologies

(June 28, 2013) Johnson Outdoors Marine Electronics, Inc. today announced it has acquired the assets and technologies of DrDepth, the Sweden-based maker of lake and sea bottom mapping software. Details of the transaction are not being released.

“We continue to focus on innovation that provides anglers with a real-world advantage on the water. The user-generated mapping technology of DrDepth is the perfect fit to expand the features of our marine portfolio, which already includes best-in-class products under the Humminbird®, Minn Kota®, Cannon®, and LakeMaster® brands,” said Kelly T. Grindle, Senior Group Vice President – Marine Electronics & Diving for Johnson Outdoors.

Current DrDepth customers will continue to be supported during the integration into the Johnson Outdoors Marine Electronics business. Existing licensed users can continue to use the program as before, but can expect upcoming announcements as the products are transitioned into the Johnson Outdooors Marine Electronics customer support structure.

Offline D S

• Unit(s): 1198 ,798hd , ipilot link and 360tm
  • Software: 7.5
  • Accessories: HDSI reefmaster Dr Depth autocharts pro
« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2013, 06:54:29 PM »
 ;D
 this looks good for us Humminbird owners perhaps they will open up the secret source code so we can display maps
correctly on HB units instead of shades of green ....the future looks exciting
ds
stgr

Offline Rüdiger

« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2013, 05:02:34 AM »
Remains to be seen when and what benefits we will have.

mvh
Rüdiger

Offline albe

Re: DrDepth mapping software (Possible new DrDepth outcome)
« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2013, 07:26:17 AM »
Here is some additional information about the soon-to-be-released custom mapping platform from LakeMaster, called AutoChart.

AutoChart will produce custom maps with the same functionality as is found on current LakeMaster charts. You will be able to customize the chart displays using depth highlight, shallow water highlight, and water level offset. More importantly, you will be able to Follow the Contour use these custom maps with an i-Pilot Link system. Now, no matter where you live or fish, you will be able to tap into powerful contour-following technology by combining i-Pilot Link with AutoChart.

Two versions of AutoChart will be available. Both will have the same basic set of capabilities, and both will be associated with an AutoChart SD card. The "Pro" version adds some additional functionality.

AutoChart:

Create custom maps using the AutoChart SD card featuring over 2 million lakes with Zero Lines for your Humminbird® and computer
 Patented LakeMaster features compatible with AutoChart generated contours: Depth Highlight; Water Level Offset; Shallow Water Highlight
 Follow the Contour functionality of Minn Kota® I-Pilot® Link® by loading digital maps created in AutoChart into your Humminbird
 Satellite image overlay
 Works with all LakeMaster compatible Humminbird units

AutoChart Pro:

Create custom maps using the AutoChart SD card featuring over 2 million lakes with Zero Lines for your Humminbird® and computer
 Patented LakeMaster features compatible with AutoChart generated contours: Depth Highlight; Water Level Offset; Shallow Water Highlight
 Follow the Contour functionality of Minn Kota® I-Pilot® Link® by loading digital maps created in AutoChart into your Humminbird
 Satellite image overlay
 Bottom Hardness indicating various levels of bottom composition
 Merge Side Imaging Mosaic data onto the map for 3D visualization of fish-holding habitat -- the ultimate in coverage

More information, including pricing, should roll out in the coming days, so stay tuned for more AutoChart details!

Offline Bob B

• Unit(s): 1197c si, 1198c si
  • Software: 6.310, 6.490
« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2013, 10:52:23 AM »
Wow....hope this works as good as it sounds.
**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Offline Moose1am

• Unit(s): 898c si
  • Software: 6.610
  • Accessories: SDHC 8 GB SanDisk Extreme III
« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2013, 06:24:15 PM »
I read about this on Bass Boat Central.  I'm wondering what the price break will be.  Sounds like it's just what the Dr Ordered for me and a lot of other fishermen.  I hope they don't price it outside of my budget.

Wow....hope this works as good as it sounds.
Here is some additional information about the soon-to-be-released custom mapping platform from LakeMaster, called AutoChart.

AutoChart will produce custom maps with the same functionality as is found on current LakeMaster charts. You will be able to customize the chart displays using depth highlight, shallow water highlight, and water level offset. More importantly, you will be able to Follow the Contour use these custom maps with an i-Pilot Link system. Now, no matter where you live or fish, you will be able to tap into powerful contour-following technology by combining i-Pilot Link with AutoChart.

Two versions of AutoChart will be available. Both will have the same basic set of capabilities, and both will be associated with an AutoChart SD card. The "Pro" version adds some additional functionality.

AutoChart:

Satellite image overlay
 Works with all LakeMaster compatible Humminbird units

AutoChart Pro:

Satellite image overlay
 Bottom Hardness indicating various levels of bottom composition
 Merge Side Imaging Mosaic data onto the map for 3D visualization of fish-holding habitat -- the ultimate in coverage

More information, including pricing, should roll out in the coming days, so stay tuned for more AutoChart details!
Regards,

Moose1am

Offline Jdeee

• Unit(s): 1198
  • Software: 6.10
  • Accessories: External gps HS
« Reply #63 on: July 08, 2013, 07:49:21 PM »
Free would be nice considering I just dropped 3000 beans on my 1198  another 1200 on my older ipilot that will need to be upgraded to the ipilot link another 800.00 !!!

I remember when I use to use a bent pin and a string to catch fish :) :o

Offline albe

« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2013, 12:56:03 PM »
Humminbird's AutoChart should be released this coming Fall. Here is a link for further information:

http://www.lakemap.com/autochart/

Offline fresque93

• Unit(s): 997SI, 858c
  • Accessories: Interlink
« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2013, 01:59:08 PM »
Does anybody know if theres been anymore announcements for the LakeMaster Autochart? Will lakes be outlined in Canada?

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2013, 10:44:27 AM »
No new announcements that I have heard of yet.
I do not know about the Canadian lakes being outlined.
I have heard that with AutoChart Pro you will be able to add your own outlined lakes.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline fresque93

• Unit(s): 997SI, 858c
  • Accessories: Interlink
« Reply #67 on: October 24, 2013, 05:55:32 PM »
Like outlining with google earth or another program, then inputting it into autochart? I only ask because there's no basemap for canada through humminbird. Thanks

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2013, 08:47:19 AM »
That is my understanding.  I did not get to attend a training session they had on AutoChart due to conducting my own training class at the same time.  I also have not spoken to anyone who has used the AutoChart software yet.

Offline Mark1000

• Unit(s): 1197c SI
  • Software: 5.500
  • Accessories: GPS antenna
« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2014, 11:18:02 PM »
For those of you looking to make maps on your Humminbird using your DrDepth data - here's the solution for something that tripped me up for a long time.  The instructions that DrDepth gives on p13 of the lake tutorial didn't work to create a contour line map in a track on my 1197C. When I created an .ht file using Drdepth and copied it to a folder on an SD card called "matrix", my 1197 wouldn't recognize it (it read the card but then returned an error "no new nav data").  I had to use Humminbird PC software as explained below to load the .ht file (after converting it to .gpx and then back again to .ht using hummingbird PC software) on an SD card to get it to work right.  Here's how I did it:

I have HB firmware V6.310 and DrDepth V5.1.8.   I'm using Humminbird PC V4.3.8 on my home computer. 

Once you have an area you've mapped selected, and you've generated contour lines in DrDepth, the next step is:
1) In DrDepth under the "tool" drop down select "create iso/contour lines".   
2) Under "save as type" select Humminbird HT (*.ht) and type in a name for your file.  It will ask you if you want to generate a waypoint .hwr (label) file.  You probably want to say yes, even if you don't use the file right now, you'll have the .hwr label file for possible future use.  I did not select the option to generate isolines as separate tracks.

3) Copy the .ht file you just generated some place where you can find it later for humminbird PC (I would make a copy since Hummingbird PC deletes original files when you delete to clean up the active screen - you could lose the original file this way).

4) Open Humminbird PC software and then select open and open the .ht file you previously generated with Drdepth.   Humminbird PC will tell you your file is wrong type and will automatically convert it to a .gpx file. I tried making a .gpx file directly in Drdepth but it didn't include any depth data after opened by Humminbird PC. 

5) Put an SD card in your computer and tell Humminbird PC to "upload from PC to SD/MMC". 

6) After Humminbird PC is done adding the file(s) to your SD card, start your humminbird unit on your boat and put the SD card in.   It will read a new track that includes your new contour line map.  Its pretty cool how it combines all your contour lines into one track, but they show up separate on your screen.   I didn't use the depth label .hwr file, but may try that in the future.   (I'm a little worried about adding thousands of depth labels as waypoints - might be too hard to delete them all if my screen looks too busy). 

Good fishing - hope this helps you!

Offline mako101

• Unit(s): 798si hd
  • Software: 5.210
« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2014, 04:12:41 AM »
Reefmaster is much more user friendly, and is improving all the time. ;D

Offline slabbacks

• Is it Friday yet!
  • Unit(s): 898c HD SI / 859ci HD
  • Software: 6.490
« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2014, 05:25:38 AM »
Mako I agree and they will have side imaging overlay set up this year as well.  As soon as winter gets out of here I'll be able to finish up some stuff I started. 
Tell them I've gone fishing!

Offline MT-ED

• Unit(s): 798ci SI, 1199ci HD SI, 360 BM
  • Software: 6.3
  • Accessories: AS GPS HS, Autochart Pro
« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2014, 11:44:51 PM »
Hmmmm.....I just checked the Dr Depth web site and it said they've been "acquired" and there is nothing there until further notice :'(

Offline slabbacks

• Is it Friday yet!
  • Unit(s): 898c HD SI / 859ci HD
  • Software: 6.490
« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2014, 04:03:38 AM »
MT

I thought I read that Johnson Outdoors got it now.  Could be mistaking but some here will know for sure.
Tell them I've gone fishing!

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2014, 12:42:23 PM »
http://www.johnsonoutdoors.com/uploadedFiles/Media/Press_Releases/Humminbird/JOME%20Aquires%20DrDepth.pdf

Johnson Outdoors Marine Electronics Acquires DrDepth
Deal Includes Assets of DrDepth & Mapping Technologies
(June 28, 2013) Johnson Outdoors Marine Electronics, Inc. today announced it has acquired
the assets and technologies of DrDepth, the Sweden‐based maker of lake and sea bottom
mapping software.

Offline yankee1

• Unit(s): Hummingbird 798 SI HD
  • Software: ?
  • Accessories: Cannon Link
« Reply #75 on: February 28, 2014, 01:05:35 PM »
On the subject of who bought DrDepth software looks like, Johnson Outdoors Acquires DrDepth
you can read article at this link.  http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/003416.html
so I'm assuming the new Lakemaster AutoChart  for Humminbird will take them some time to
unveil the new software I've been following this AutoChart Software closely as I want to pick up a copy
has anyone had a chance to see AutoChart in action..?
Regards Yankee1

Yankee1

Offline Bob B

• Unit(s): 1197c si, 1198c si
  • Software: 6.310, 6.490
« Reply #76 on: February 28, 2014, 07:02:08 PM »
I don't think it's due to be released until sometime this summer.
**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Offline Nitro78

• French frog
  • French frog!
  • Unit(s): Solix mega
  • Accessories: TM265 LH + 2 side imagin transdeucer an
« Reply #77 on: March 02, 2014, 10:31:06 AM »
On the subject of who bought DrDepth software looks like, Johnson Outdoors Acquires DrDepth
you can read article at this link.  http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/003416.html
so I'm assuming the new Lakemaster AutoChart  for Humminbird will take them some time to
unveil the new software I've been following this AutoChart Software closely as I want to pick up a copy
has anyone had a chance to see AutoChart in action..?
Regards Yankee1

Wait a little, I'm sure it will be great !!

Offline Mark Saikaley

• Unit(s): Helix12MegSI 3GN
  • Accessories: I-PilotLink,digitrol 5
« Reply #78 on: June 28, 2016, 08:31:52 AM »
Im a computer software guy and my head hurts. My hat goes off to you guys who have spent the hours on your computers and tinkering with your sonar to get this stuff to work. Ad a computer guy my purpose is/was to figure out the complicated stuff and create products that eliminated all the technical and make powerful complex things very simple intuitive and very little time to perform and figure out.  This stuff Im reading while much easier than not being able to do it sounds very daunting and taking away from time I like to do when Im not working all day on the computer, which is fish and play with my fishing equipment on the water to catch fish and see whats going on underneath.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo