Author Topic: Recommendations and help, please  (Read 2933 times)

Offline tellicorick

• Unit(s): 1198C
Recommendations and help, please
« on: April 15, 2015, 01:21:39 PM »
I purchased a 1198c SI when they first came out and have been running software version 5.045 ever since.  At the same time I purchased the 1198, I also purchased a Terrova I-pilot trolling motor.  And I've been relatively happy ever since, but things have changed now.  Since I'm changing fishing strategies (crappie fishing) I need some advice and help, if anyone wants to wade in.

Firstly, I know my software is way behind, but what would be the software recommendation to get the best out of my setup?  I run dual transponders off the back of my boat and no transponder on my trolling motor.  I'm really interested in a stable version as I'm no software geek, nor do I want to play with software to make it run - I just want to plug it in and fish.

Is my 1198 capable of being networked with the I-pilot in order for me to troll certain depths and/or offsets?

If I can't network the two, is there a way to network a display in the front of my boat slaved off the 1198 itself, so I can manually troll the depths I'm interested in?

Thanks, any help is appreciated.  I doubt my wife would condone my buying a new unit right now since the 1198 is working perfectly fine, thus the questions.

Regards,
Richard
Huntsville, AL
I fish for sustenance, which is why I fish for crappie.  If I sport fish, I flyfish for trout.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Re: Recommendations and help, please
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 02:52:38 PM »
If that is an i-Pilot Link (not an i-Pilot) it should have come with a 30-foot Ethernet Connection Cable that will plug into the back of your 1198 unit.  If it is an i-Pilot; there is no way to connect the two.  You would have to buy and install an i-Pilot Link accessory for your Terrova trolling motor to communicate with your 1198 unit.

i-Pilot Link capability was not added until software version 6.570 so you would have to load at least that version but I think that others will tell you that you would be best served with the current 7.510 software.  It also added some new features.  You will need to update the software in your i-Pilot Link Controller and Remote for this.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline tellicorick

• Unit(s): 1198C
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 04:33:16 PM »
Greg

Thanks for the response.  Both units (finder and trolling motor) were purchased in 2010, per my records.  In looking at the trolling motor, on top of the head, it says "I-Pilot" and "GPS Trolling System".  It doesn't say "Link" anywhere.  Out of the head unit, there is a wire with a 4-pin circular connector, but it's no where near 30 feet.  This would seem to indicate my trolling motor is NOT one that would link up, am I correct?

If the above is true, should I still upgrade to the software version you recommended?

Thanks,
Richard

Post script - I did find I can upgrade my trolling motor to "Link" it with the depth finder.  Thanks.

And one more question, the recommended map system for the Terrova Link is Lakemaster.  I've been using the Navionics Platinum for the Southeast.  Should I change maps as well?  Thanks again.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 05:03:10 PM by tellicorick »
I fish for sustenance, which is why I fish for crappie.  If I sport fish, I flyfish for trout.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 08:44:38 AM »
I would becuase with the LakeMaster mapping cards you get all the LakeMaster only mapping features on your 1198 unit, like the follow the contours, depth highlight, water level offset and shallow water highlight:
http://www.humminbird.com/Category/Technology/Lakemaster/
You also can use these same features (along with your i-Pilot Linked trolling motor) with any AutoChart or Chart Select maps.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo