Author Topic: Importing and Adding GPS Waypoints from Excel to Humminbird PC  (Read 34737 times)

Offline sholley

• Unit(s): 798csi
  • Software: 5.5
Hi All,

First time poster.  After a heap of research, and grief, I finally figured out a way to get GPS Marks from Excel into Humminbird PC.

I have a 798csi unit.

This is handy for a bulk load of GPS Marks, where, for e.g. you come across a list of GPS Marks on the internet in no specific format and need to get them into your unit without having to type them all in manually.

As we know Humminbird PC's file format support is pretty limited.  The way I found to easily work with a lot of GPS marks at the same time is.....

1.  Download your existing GPS Marks from your Humminbird Unit with Humminbird PC.
2.  Save them as a GPX file.
3.  Go to http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/gpsbabel/
4.  Upload your GPX file, converting it from GPX (XML) to Garmin Mapsource TXT (Tab Delimited)
5.  Save the TXT file it creates for you.
6.  Open that TXT file with EXCEL.
7.  Be careful that EXCEL will change your DATE field and strip the extra characters out of it.  You will need to change the format of this column to TEXT and you may need to adjust the date and times accordingly, so it displays as "01/08/2011 01:13:50"
8.  Excel will make it easy to add and manipulate your new GPS coordinates into the right format of Degrees Decimal Minutes.  There is plenty of information on the net on how to do this.
9.  Ensure that your waypoint names are no longer than the 11 characters allowed via Humminbird.
10.  Once you are finished, save the document back as a Tab Delimited TXT file.
11.  Go back to http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/gpsbabel/
12.  Convert your Garmin Mapsource TXT (Tab Delimited) file into a Humminbird waypoints and routes file (.hwr)
13.  Open the .hwr file with Humminbird PC.
14.  It will ask you to save it as a GPX file, which will be compatible with your unit.
15.  Upload the GPX file back to your Humminbird unit.
15.  Done!

I am not sure whether this will convert your routes across as well, though I don't have that many routes and is easy enough to recreate in Humminbird PC. 

I thought I should post this for future reference, I have been going at it for a few days and finally figured out a process that is easy enough and works.

Hope it helps someone else out.

Scott
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 08:54:54 PM by sholley »

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
Re: Importing and Adding GPS Waypoints from Excel to Humminbird PC
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 08:48:30 AM »
What a heap of work and research.  Great piece of help and information to those who do just this. 
Thanks for the hard work..

Chuck

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 09:08:31 AM »
Scott,
I also use Excel to convert mass numbers of waypoints from web site pages into *.gpx files.  The way I do it is:
 - Copy and paste the data into an Excel spreadsheet.  Having done this several times I have found that it is not always just as simple as copy and paste and that you may have to perform a paste special as a Unicode Text or some other way or possibly import the data as a tab delimited or *.csv file.  As I said; it seems like each time I do this there is a new way that I have to figure out how to get it into Excel.
 - Once the data is in Excel I use the power of the spreadsheet to convert the coordinates, water depth and waypoint name into a format that will work.  This often means that the waypoint names get truncated down to 11 characters.
 - I than place the data in the formatting that I need so that I can copy it to a *.txt file.
 - I use the older 2.5.8 version of HumminbirdPC as it can import a *.txt file.  I export some bogus waypoints as a *.txt file and open that *.txt file so that I can paste the data from Excel into it.
 - Once copied into the *.txt file I simply import it using the older 2.5.8 and than save it as a *.gpx file.
 - I now go the extra step of opening that new *.gpx file using the current version of HumminbirdPC and uploading the data to an SD memory card as it will detect some waypoint errors that the older version cannot.  Those errors can cause some issues with the newer units, so I use the newer HumminbirdPC to “wash” the data clean.

This is not to say that I have not also found another way of converting web site data to a usable *.gpx file.  I recently started using a program called MN DNR Garmin which has been quite useful for web site data conversion.

I have a small collection of web site data that I have converted for others and am thinking of asking Robert if he would like to host that data on this web site.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline sholley

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 04:18:01 PM »
Scott,
I also use Excel to convert mass numbers of waypoints from web site pages into *.gpx files.  The way I do it is:
 - Copy and paste the data into an Excel spreadsheet.  Having done this several times I have found that it is not always just as simple as copy and paste and that you may have to perform a paste special as a Unicode Text or some other way or possibly import the data as a tab delimited or *.csv file.  As I said; it seems like each time I do this there is a new way that I have to figure out how to get it into Excel.
 - Once the data is in Excel I use the power of the spreadsheet to convert the coordinates, water depth and waypoint name into a format that will work.  This often means that the waypoint names get truncated down to 11 characters.
 - I than place the data in the formatting that I need so that I can copy it to a *.txt file.
 - I use the older 2.5.8 version of HumminbirdPC as it can import a *.txt file.  I export some bogus waypoints as a *.txt file and open that *.txt file so that I can paste the data from Excel into it.
 - Once copied into the *.txt file I simply import it using the older 2.5.8 and than save it as a *.gpx file.
 - I now go the extra step of opening that new *.gpx file using the current version of HumminbirdPC and uploading the data to an SD memory card as it will detect some waypoint errors that the older version cannot.  Those errors can cause some issues with the newer units, so I use the newer HumminbirdPC to “wash” the data clean.

This is not to say that I have not also found another way of converting web site data to a usable *.gpx file.  I recently started using a program called MN DNR Garmin which has been quite useful for web site data conversion.

I have a small collection of web site data that I have converted for others and am thinking of asking Robert if he would like to host that data on this web site.

That's a good way to do it as well Greg, I was unaware that the 2.5.8 version handled the import of text files.  If I was aware, I reckon I would have done it very similar to the way you outlined above.  I wonder why Humminbird removed this feature of being able to export and reimport your data as a text file.  I can only assume it would be due to the symbols that the waypoints are linked to.   Well done, and thanks for posting your methodology.

Why can't humminbird have an easy excel export/import function, maybe to a comma delimited CSV or XLS file?  It makes it so much easier working with multiple waypoints and routes at the same time.  Feature request maybe??!!

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 04:22:02 PM »
Export to .csv would be a great addition...
Right now we record then view with humviewer and then export.
Chuck

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 02:24:10 PM »
I can’t remember if either of these has been put forward as an item on the Wish List on this site.  I know that I have asked for the same import/export ability in the newer version of HumminbirdPC that the older 2.5.8 version had.  I would make another entry in the wish list and ask for *.csv, *.txt and *.xls import/export ability.

Offline gofission

• Unit(s): PiranaMax 160, Matrix 37, 798ci HD SI
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 03:49:00 AM »
15.  Upload the GPX file back to your Humminbird unit.

Can someone explain HOW to do #15? I have no UPLOAD menu choice when trying to put waypoints back into the 798.
I can get the waypoints onto the SD chip easy. I cannot get them back.

Offline sholley

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 11:02:05 AM »
Can someone explain HOW to do #15? I have no UPLOAD menu choice when trying to put waypoints back into the 798.
I can get the waypoints onto the SD chip easy. I cannot get them back.

Hey mate,

All you have to do, if you have the compatible GPX file, is connect your 798 unit to Humminbird pc.  Open your GPX file with humminbird PC.  Once opened, right click on the file and you should see a menu option there for upload.  Upload it to your connected 798 unit and all should be sweet.  Let me know how you go.

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
  • Unit(s): 1197c SI, 997c SI & 785c2
  • Software: 4.950 & 4.510
  • Accessories: Interlink & GRHA
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 03:45:28 PM »
Need to have your card in the SD slot that has the HB Matrix folder on it.  The software should see it and then it will convert the GPS to .HWR file on the SD card.

Robert
Humminbird Guru and Forum Administrator

Offline Fay

• Retirement is the best job I've ever had so far.
  • Unit(s): 798combo, TCR ID-1
  • Software: 7.12
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 12:46:18 PM »
If I have a new sd card, what is the best way to transfer waypoints from a computer to the card
so a new 798 can read that data?  I would love to be able to enter my old waypoints to a new unit.
Fay

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 12:10:15 PM »
Fay,
Probably by using the HumminbirdPC program but it really depends on how they are on your computer now.  Are these in a text document, EXCEL, gpx, pdf file or what?

Offline Fay

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 07:29:44 PM »
Greg, I have them in a long list in Microsoft Office Word as lat/longs and td's but I can change them to almost anything I guess.  I just didn't want to have to scroll thru the numbers and alphabet when I can type so much
faster.  thanks again - Fay

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 11:04:44 AM »
Fay,
You may be able to copy and paste them into another program or a text document and import them into HumminbirdPC directly.  If you would like to email me the WORD file I may be able to do this over my lunchtime for you.  I can’t do anything with the TD though.

Offline Fay

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 11:54:03 AM »
Greg,
I just e-mailed a list of most of the lat/longs I would like to put on a new HB later this month.
Don't spend a lot of time on them because I have a feeling its not going to be easy.  If you can change a few let me know how you did it and I can do the rest.   I have found converters that will change 120vac to 12vdc and 15vdc if I can find a cable to power a HB unit to one of them.

Have a great day - Fay

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 02:56:08 PM »
Got the waypoint file Fay.  Sorry but worked through my normal lunchtime and so got a later start on them.  No problems converting them all but had to change a few waypoint names to get them to work (our units have an 11 character max for the waypoint name).  They should be sitting in your e-mail inbox as I type this.

Offline Fay

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2012, 03:00:56 PM »
Thanks again Greg,  I was afraid it would take forever.  Have a great day -  Fay

Offline freezerfiller

• Unit(s): 998c SI
  • Software: ??
  • Accessories: Ipilot link
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2013, 03:40:44 PM »
Scott,

I did a search, and this old thread seemed to be the most on topic... So is this still the best way to get Excel coordinates into HB readable waypoints?

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2013, 11:34:50 AM »
It’s the way I still do it ff.

Offline nicko_cairns

• Unit(s): 798 ci si
  • Software: Latest
  • Accessories: Nope
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2014, 09:53:40 AM »
Great info thanks guys, any new developments?

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2014, 12:45:42 PM »
Not for me.

Offline ScottMN

• Unit(s): 1198c SI..597 HD DI..30+ Green Boxes
  • Accessories: 101-Terrova/iPilot/iLink/LakeMaster Maps
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2014, 10:53:36 PM »
Not for me.

I use Open Office and GPS Babel. Only problem is what format do you guys set on the coordinates columns?

Actually I've got the Google Earth to GPS Babel to Humminbird PC down pretty good now. I like going back to low water years in GE history, making waypoints (place markers in GE) and then bring them back to a card and in to unit.

Should be a low water year for 1st tournament and I've got the old riverbed switchbacks nailed!! Plus shoreline brush and rocky bottoms. When is GE going to show transitions? LOL!
How many cables do you own for gadgets?

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2014, 12:45:25 PM »
I always try and use the all degree (dd.ddddd) format Scott as it’s the most accurate of the formats that Humminbird uses.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo