Author Topic: Screen Speed  (Read 6535 times)

Offline cooter

• Unit(s): HB-1198C-SI & HB-898C-SI
Screen Speed
« on: June 24, 2011, 04:17:17 PM »
I have a HB 1198, & HB 898.

Screen Speed Queston:

How do I get the Sonar Screen to travel faster across the screen. I need it to ping faster or more times in a shorter time. I would like ALL screens (Sonar, DI, SI) to move a little faster. Is there an adjustment for this, and where, if there is.

Offline stillbear

• Stillbear
  • Unit(s): 997c SI - 1198 c SI - HDS-10
  • Software: 5.840 5.700- 4.0
  • Accessories: Barometer ,GRHA , 8gb 30 mb/ extreme III
Re: Screen Speed
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 04:55:22 PM »
Your ping rate is ajusted thru snapshot an recording x-press menu.
I believe your fastest returns are going to be on switch fire
RTS window real time sonar see it all on max see it refined on clear. Gary

Offline cooter

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 09:32:50 PM »
Ok, the issue I am having is this.

When I have my unit on any Sonar screen, I assume that it is pinging so slow (AUTO) that ALL structure looks to be a 1/4" wide on the screen, it will register height with no problem.

Structures that I have put in the water, that are 15' in diameter, will show up as 1/4" wide MARKS on the screen. A Structure 1/4" can show up on my screen, and the boat will have moved 50'-60' before thee structure will clear off a 1/2 page view (sonar on a side, & DI on other side).

No matter whether it be a tree stump (16" tree) or one of my structure (15' diameter) will both show as a 1/4" mark. on my screen. It will not show the difference of a 16" stump, versus a 16' Bruch Pile.

I can HOVER over the top of the brush pile, and it shows to be Big and Wide. So I am thinking I need more pings in a quicker time, than I am getting, which is on AUTO (Default Setting).

I am not getting the PICS off of my SI that compare with the pics I see posted on the site. so, I think if I were getting more PINGS in a quicker rate of time it would show a better picture on my SI also.

SI and Sonar are working at 3 MPH, and have Chart Speed set at 3 MPH also.

Ping Speed adjustment shows as 1=10, with AUTO being at the end of 10. What is the Ping Speed of Auto. Also would the # of Pings be per second ? ? ?

Offline stillbear

• Stillbear
  • Unit(s): 997c SI - 1198 c SI - HDS-10
  • Software: 5.840 5.700- 4.0
  • Accessories: Barometer ,GRHA , 8gb 30 mb/ extreme III
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 07:17:19 AM »
Cooter i see where you are coming from speeding an slowing the screen is going to cause
objects to blob up or stretch out while recording.There are some real good articals on this
subject.But from experience if you put a 15 ft dia. brush pile in the water and you are
directly over it your screen is going to show more than 1/4 inch.Normally when I put a brush
pile or fish attractant in I will mark the waypoint when returning I will use 2D sonar to find it
and put bouy out close to stay on it. Gary

Offline cooter

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 04:59:18 PM »
Cooter i see where you are coming from speeding an slowing the screen is going to cause
objects to blob up or stretch out while recording.There are some real good articals on this
subject.But from experience if you put a 15 ft dia. brush pile in the water and you are
directly over it your screen is going to show more than 1/4 inch.Normally when I put a brush
pile or fish attractant in I will mark the waypoint when returning I will use 2D sonar to find it
and put bouy out close to stay on it. Gary

Thanks, I have figured out it is NOT the PING, I need to be working on. It is the actual SPEED of the screen, traveling from left to right.  I am needing the sonar to show that a BIGGER object, shows that when you cruise across it.

Like stated before. I will be SI'ing @ 3 mph. MARK something I want to look at. Bring up the SONAR Screen, and cruise across the marked WAYPOINT. At 3 mph, no matter whether the object is 18" or 18', it shows about the same size. The sonar PICS does not reflect a BIG object or SMALL object. I can mark with a bouy, and HOVER over the structure, and the object flattens out like it does on other sonars.

My brother has a HDS-5 and it will show objects, and reflect a size differnce at higher cruising speeds, and let you see a object that could be a structure.

When cruising at 3-5 MPH, seems like my unit should show a difference in the Sonar PIC of a object the size of a car, versus, something the size of a stump.

Can I Adjust the SPEED of the screen from let to right ? ? ?

Where can I find the articles your spoke of ? ? ?

keith

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 01:33:59 PM »
Keith,
Try adjusting the Chart Speed setting on your unit.  It should show up with the first press of the MENU button.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline Whistler

• Unit(s): 1198c SI, 1199ci, Helix 12 SI G2N
  • Software: 7.510,7.460,1.460
  • Accessories: Heading Sensor, NMEA
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 05:29:50 PM »
I don't mean to hi-jack this thread, but I've been wondering a few things about this very topic. 

I've had an 1198 for about two months now.  I really like it, but I'm having difficulty positively identifying fish with it when I am side-scanning.  Everything I read suggests to match (approximately) the screen speed to the boat speed.  But it seems to me, in order to be able to discern smaller objects and get a more accurate sense of object size (just as the OP mentioned) a faster screen speed helps.  I find my self idling around at 2.5 - 3.5 mph with my screen speed at 6 or 7. 

My thinking is that the faster the screen speed the faster the ping rate, and in turn, the more pings that will 'hit' an object of a given size.  This seems to me that it would make smaller objects more elongated on the screen and easier to distinguish.  Is this correct?  In theory, this would seem to be especially beneficial when trying to ID fish at longer ranges as the screen size and pixel count are fixed but the range is adjustable (i.e. the side scan image gets more and more horizontally compressed as you increase the range).  I guess that the there is no vertical compression of the side scan image due to range adjustment but the screen speed could decompress the vertical representation of an object shown in a side scan image.  Am I making any sense?

One other thing that kind of goes along with this.  In the user manual/specs for the 1198 is mentions that the unit is capable of disguising objects as close to each other as 2.5" (I think it calls it target separation).  Does that spec hold true for side scanning as well or is that just a traditional sonar specification?

UPDATE:  After re-reading cooter's post I am now wondering if my question/comments are really related to a combination of the ping speed and screen speed.  Does the ping speed in the sonar menu also affect side scanning or is the screen speed my only option for side scanning?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 05:38:08 PM by Whistler »

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 05:38:49 PM »
The ‘ping rate’ is not tied to the Chart Speed menu setting.  It is always pinging away at its maximum setting based on the water depth/Si Range.  Speeding up the Chart Speed takes the same information and stretches it out (or compacts it if you select a slower setting) over a larger area of the display.  You can stretch the information so much that it loses some of its detail.  Certainly if you are trying to see a fish in the Si sonar than speeding up the Chart Speed will elongate the sonar returns from it but at the sacrifice of more clearly seeing the structure that it may be hiding around.

I believe that the 2.5 inches holds true for the Si target resolution as well.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo