Author Topic: Ethernet Questions and Answers.  (Read 3695 times)

Offline Trytoofish

• Unit(s): Onix 8, 998HD, 798HD, Ice 55
  • Software: 2.0, 7.51,
  • Accessories: Cannonlink,Eithernet,Mag 20, Ipilot Link
Ethernet Questions and Answers.
« on: March 16, 2011, 09:23:35 AM »
Ethernet Questions

With the release of ethernet,there are questions popping up on several forums,including some of my own. This is a list of questions with answers and Questions waithing for answer that I gleened from several sources. Maybe robert will pin it here.I'm sure there will be many more added in time.

Ethernet manual available here.

http://store.humminbird.com/media/document/Ethernet_Manual.pdf

In the manual,It says when you select share nav data, ethernet chooses which gps head will be used.

Question: does this happen even when you have local gps selected on both units. If it does that will be a issue  (IMO) for those of us  that have a gps at the bow and at the transom for better waypoint  marking accuracy.
Is there any way to share waypoint data but keep gps head local,for the above reason?

Will Ethernet work in conjuction with Cannonlink,or does it treat it like interlink?

Is the disapearance of the create an IP option from 5.32 to 5.43 a
concearn for ethernet?

I dont see the network tab?
You won't see a network tab untill a complete network has been established. That is 2 Ethernet capable units conected by a ethernet cable,running the Ethernet enabling software.

Will 898 version 5.410 work with 1197 version 5.430? Or does the software have to be exactly the same?

[color=][color=]This will work.  The 898 received the software to turn on the Ethernet connection in software version 5.410 while the 1198 received the same in software release version 5.430[/color][/color].

When the new Ethernet is up and running,will one be able to view 2 sonar sources at once on a split screen? If you have a console unit with a transom transducer and a Bow unit with the transducer on the Bow. It would be great to be in the bow and be able to see what is happening on both ends at the same time?

[color=]No this is not presently possible with the Ethernet connection.  If this is something that you would like to see though you should enter it into the Humminbird Wish List on this web site.
[/color]
Using the ethernet port on units equipped with it, will you have the ability to control functions (navigate different view screens, mark waypoints, snapshots, recordings) on each unit separately ?
Yes, it will just be sharing the data independently and each unit will process it as needed.

I have purchased the interlink because I want to share the data it will share. I thought about getting the ethernet cable as well but read that they both will not function unless one is unplugged.  Is this true or can you turn off sharing so I don't have to plug and unplug cables? I also wondered if the XM weather can be shared?
As it stands now:
 - when you plug in an Ethernet cable and the unit detects the second unit; the InterLink connection will be disabled.
 - the data from our XM Nav Weather module can only be shared between units via the InterLink.

I do not know (and not be able to say even if I did know) if any of this will change in the future or not.
Try Too Fish  Forced To Work

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
Re: Ethernet Questions and Answers.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 07:04:58 PM »
Nice work and good answers.  Thanks for putting in the FAQ section.  This should help in future information requests and searches..
This forum grows every day and help like your post are great..
Chuck

Offline Trytoofish

• Unit(s): Onix 8, 998HD, 798HD, Ice 55
  • Software: 2.0, 7.51,
  • Accessories: Cannonlink,Eithernet,Mag 20, Ipilot Link
Re: Ethernet Questions and Answers.
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 07:45:38 PM »
Thanks chuck,but just to clarify most of the answers are not mine, Thank H Greg for most of them. I hope he comes and answers the rest.
Try Too Fish  Forced To Work

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo