Author Topic: "Baby" in Humminbird 898c SI - need help  (Read 6610 times)

Offline FatherWalleye

• Father Walleye
    • www.pikemasters.com/tsunami
  • Unit(s): 898c SI Combo
"Baby" in Humminbird 898c SI - need help
« on: December 10, 2010, 01:12:14 AM »
Greetings to all from Canada,

I have a message ready to post on 898 forum and while previewing I touched something else and boom! – everything was gone. So another lesson for some of us – use Microsoft Word or other program and copy/paste to save you from using “nice words” when you lose everything. Things happen all the time and we have to live with it.

But, this is not the topic of my post.
I’ve been reading your Forum for about past 2 weeks and I know that this is a right website to be part of it. Especially, when getting a new 898c SI Combo unit.

David Hoggard “Hoggie” from Owatonna, MN has been well known in fishing circles as an avid pro-fisherman and host of radio fishing show and a former administrator of catch-n.com. He has made a fishing show with me and another show which focused on choosing a right Humminbird SI unit. It was done a few years ago. It has been a lot of changes since that time. When I get a link from Hoggie, I’ll post those links on forum.
You’ll enjoy one of the songs done by Elliot Brothers “Will there be any fishing in heaven?” – I love that song. I believe so.
You are welcome to find more info about me and all fishy stories at www.pikemasters.com/tsunami    Enjoy it.

ila_rendered

Hoggie contacted Kimberly from Johnson Outdoors Marine Electronics in Mankato, MN
And we made the deal re: purchasing 898c SI Combo, which at the end, it is a Christmas gift from my parishioner and his family.

I would imagine that some of you’ve been fishing at Tobin Lake, SK. This is a man made reservoir on North Saskatchewan River between Dams. We have exellent fishing. I believe that another world record will come from this Lake. A lot of fishermen are coming to Tobin Lake from Texas, California, Idaho, Dakota (both) and most of all from Minnesota.

One of the topics on your FORUM was dedicated to: benefits of viewing images on you laptop.

My questions are:

1.   What cables do I need in order to connect to my laptop?
2.   Are those cables come with the unit or they are optional?
3.   Are there any other accessories I need to have in order to take advantage of this 898cSI to the fullest?
4.   Do you know if I can download my own maps into this unit?
5.   Are there any preload maps or other Navionic maps which may have Tobin Lake, Saskatchewan in it? Or any other maps of the lakes in Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Alberta or British Columbia?

Thank you for your help.

with prayers
Fr. Mariusz "Father Walleye"
at www.pikemasters.com/tsunami
FAtFa

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Re: "Baby" in Humminbird 898c SI - need help
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 12:23:29 PM »
Fr. Mariusz,
In answer to your questions:

1.) If you just want to view Screen Snapshots from your 898c Si unit on your laptop than all you need is an SD or SDHC memory card.  When you make a Screen Snapshot the image gets saved to the memory card (not to the unit) and all you would than have to do is install the memory card into your laptop and use whatever picture viewing software it already has to view the picture.  If your laptop does not have an SD card reader than you would have to purchase one.  You do not have to use the one we sell as any brand should work.

2.) No cables are required to view Screen Snapshots.

3.) There are added accessories that you could get but basically everything is included.  Exceptions would be if you needed a second transducer for your boat for high-speed depth readings or due to blockage of Si sonar on one side or another.

4.) No you cannot download your own maps into the unit.

5.) I do not know if Navionics has maps of these areas.  You would need to check with them or review their offerings on their web site.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo