Author Topic: 898 will not read platinum plus maps  (Read 9546 times)

Offline Flynnme

• Unit(s): 898csi
  • Software: 4.880
898 will not read platinum plus maps
« on: May 07, 2010, 11:47:52 PM »
Finally got my 898 in my new trolling skiff. Spent a few hours fishing King Salmon and didnt like the charts so I bought a navionics platinum plus for Alaska and couldnt get it to load. Spent the day on the phone with humminbird support but no joy. I did download and install the new firmware 4.880 and wondered if I screwed that up. I would like to load the old firmware and reinstall the new but I cant find it. Any Ideas? I need the unit for the next month as this is the prime time for Saltwater King salmon up here. Thanks Don.

Offline stillbear

• Stillbear
  • Unit(s): 997c SI - 1198 c SI - HDS-10
  • Software: 5.840 5.700- 4.0
  • Accessories: Barometer ,GRHA , 8gb 30 mb/ extreme III
Re: 898 will not read platinum plus maps
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 09:21:06 AM »
 :)   Don welcome to the forum i checked could not find the firmware for the 898
I am sure someone will be able to help you.What makes you think you might have screwed the new update up?  I bought a HD Plat map for my 997  i am disappointed in it . :)  Gary

Offline JeffA

• Unit(s): 898c SI
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 12:02:54 PM »
i can honestly say, i'm not that impressed with the platinum either.. :(

"if your going to mess with the kings queens, you better watch your ace, jack!"..

Offline Flynnme

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 04:47:46 PM »
 Gary, thanks for checking, I dont know that I screwed up the update, the unit works great except for no platinum plus. I was just going to try going back and see if that did anything. Four hours on the water this morning and the unit was fine. It just shows me trolling on the bank part of the time with the etchasketch chart that came with the unit. I need to move south into the rocks here in a week or so and hesitant to do so without a decent chart. Bigger downside, no fish today. I am open to any ideas. Don.

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
  • Unit(s): 1197c SI, 997c SI & 785c2
  • Software: 4.950 & 4.510
  • Accessories: Interlink & GRHA
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 09:47:28 PM »
The old updates are in the Downloads Section in the top menu bar.  The look under Humminbird Firmware/Software updates and your specific unit.

http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index.php?action=downloads

Good Luck,

Robert
Humminbird Guru and Forum Administrator

Offline Flynnme

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 10:08:20 PM »
 The update page for the 898 only has the update, not the original firmware.

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
  • Unit(s): 1197c SI, 997c SI & 785c2
  • Software: 4.950 & 4.510
  • Accessories: Interlink & GRHA
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 11:25:42 PM »
You are correct.  You will need to email Greg or customer service to get the original firmware.  Or if Greg could post a copy for us, that would be great as well.

Robert
Humminbird Guru and Forum Administrator

Offline Moose1am

• Unit(s): 898c si
  • Software: 6.610
  • Accessories: SDHC 8 GB SanDisk Extreme III
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 12:04:42 PM »
Speaking of downloading the new Humminbird files, I want to give some tips on how to avoid corrputed files when downloading these files from the Humminbird Web site.  In fact this tip is useful when downloading any new files over the internet.

Many of us run security software on our computers at home and work.  I won't touch the subject of work computer and downloading personal files!  You are on your own with that one.

But if you are using a home computer I would recommend that you temporary disable the security software before you begin to download the Humminbird update files.  This will help insure that you get a good download.

Sometimes but not always a security program that's running in the background on your computer can mess up a file download.  And using a corrupted file to try to update your Humminbird SI's control head software can be time consuming and troublesome.

So turn off any other software that's running in the background on your home computer before starting to download any new files over the internet.  Just make sure that you know what you are downloading and that the web site is a safe one.   I would guess that the www.humminbird.com web site is a safe one where you can safely turn off the MaAfee, Nortons or Zone Alarm security software while you download your new Humminbird files. 

Hopfully this will help someone get a good clean download and prevent any update problems caused by your home computer.

Also I would make sure that the Card you use to save the downloaded file is in good working order.  You might want to format the card before adding the newly downloaded files to it.  Make sure that the card is ok first before storing important data on it.  Data like the new Humminbird 898CSI 4.880 update software.

Hope the information helps someone in the future.  It took me a lot of years to learn this valuable lesson.

Lesson 2:  It's a good thing to clean up the computer before downloading important files.  Cleaning out temp files can speed up your computer and help get better file downloads.

And it's always a good thing to reboot the computer  before starting to download files.  This helps clear out the computer's memory and get it ready for action. 

For those of you who are advanced computer users you can use the Run command line and type in msconfig.exe to run the msconfig program and stop files that load up at boot time and take up your computers resources. 

Find the start button and then click on it.  Next click on the "all program's icon.  From there click on "Accessories".  Now click on the "Command Prmpt" icon.

This should open up a DOS box where you can type in the msconfig.exe command

This will bring up the MSCONFIG dialog box.  You should look in the start tab and see what programs are starting up on your computer automatically when you boot the computer up. 

You may be surprised how many programs install a load/run command in your computer's registery. 

All these programs and services (see the service tab) take up your computer's memory and resources and can slow your computer down.

Today when we spent $3000 on a new Humminbird SI unit and $3000 on a new Dell Computer it pays to know how to operate your computer. Especially since we are using the computer, cable modem and the internet to download files that make or brake the $3000 SI unit.

Save yourself some hassels and learn more about how your computer works and how the internet works.  If not then you may have to send your unit back to Humminbird to have them fix the mistakes we make.

It's not always the Humminbird Control Head that's defective.  Sometimes it's operator errors.  Today's world is getting more and more complicated and it's not possible to keep up with all this modern technology.  So don't be ashamed if it's all over your head.  Most of it's over everyone else's head too.  :)

That's why Humminbird has a toll free phone hot line for tech support.
Regards,

Moose1am

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 02:00:42 PM »
Moose I always wondered if some of the ant-everything software that we run in our PC’s messes with some of the files that we download.

Robert if I did it right the 4.850 software should be posted on the downloads page. 

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline Moose1am

• Unit(s): 898c si
  • Software: 6.610
  • Accessories: SDHC 8 GB SanDisk Extreme III
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 03:38:34 PM »
Well Greg I don't know for sure but it would not hurt to shut down other programs on our computers before we download big new files.

I played Fighter Ace for 13 years and the owner of that game and his technical support folks always told the clients of the game to turn off the anitvirus software before downloading the files. 

Some of the Fighter Ace file updates were huge.  So it was critical to make sure that they didn't get corrupted.  Since we were paying to play that game on-line it was important to the game developer to help train the novice computer users who wanted to play the game.  So they developed an excellent support staff that helped all the players get their computers running smother.   They had many volunteers who manned a help web site every night and would use a chat program to walk people though trouble shooting techniques. This was way back in 1998 .

Today the game is going to close in August of this year but it had a run of 13 years and will be missed by me and hundreds of other WWII flight Sim enthusiasts. 

Here is a link to their Customer Support Links in case you want to call or email them about why they recommend that we shut down the virus checking programs when downloading files.

https://fighterace.ketsujin.com/Help/customer_support.asp

As I said the game is shutting down in August and a lot of the players and helpers are leaving the game and checking out the other on line WWII massive multi-player games such as War Birds, Aces Hight and IL2 or World War II on-line.   But I'd bet that the technical support guys on those other games will tell you the same thing. 

It's easy to shut down my Zone Alarm Security Suit and turn it back on after I finished downloading files.  The only cravat is that one needs to be sure that the files they are downloading and the site they are downloading them from is a secure web site and not a bad site.   I would trust the www.humminbird.com web site where you have to log in and go to your account to get the new files. That's a safe site IMHO.   Not all web site that serve up files for downloading can be trusted.   With those files I keep ZAP turned on and run a file checkers on the newly downloaded files to make sure that they are safe to open.

But I would think that if you just download a file and save it to the hard drive and then don't open it it would be safe.  You can always scan the computer for bad files afterward and before you open the files.   

But I know that when I check my Windows XP registry that there are many files from Adobe and HP that are put in the registry so that they start up automatically when I boot up my computer.  I have to either edit the registry or use MSCONFIG.EXE to stop them from running on my computer at boot up time.

There are a lot of things that can go wrong with computers with everyone using a multiple array of different programs on the Windows Operating System.  It seems that every program developer wants to take total control of our computers when they install their software.  They often forget that they are not the only programs we want to run on our home computers.  :(

Moose I always wondered if some of the ant-everything software that we run in our PC’s messes with some of the files that we download.

Robert if I did it right the 4.850 software should be posted on the downloads page. 

Regards,

Moose1am

Offline mlakrid

• Bass Fishing Fool
  • Unit(s): 998C SI
  • Software: Default???
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 04:37:41 PM »
WARNING: GEEK SPEAK AHEAD, PROCEED WITH CAUTION...  :D

I am new here, so I will try and not to let the geek in me get out too badly... SO, please bare with me...

While I will agree that turning off uneccesary programs is a good idea, simply from a resources persepective, I would DISAGREE and say that turning off your Anti-Virus/firewall programs is not a good idea, as a matter of fact that is asking for trouble.

Gaming is totally different, it is based (solely on its programming) on what ports and protocols your game uses to communicate with the other end-point, which can directly be affected by several software factors. Which does not even take into consideration the hardware in your home: your home network switch, router or firewall, if you have a hardware version of a firewall that is.

When you are downloading any kind of file using only your browser you are typically using 3 protocols in the TCP/IP stack of protocols:

IP - Internet Protocol - Think of this as the "address" to which you are sending or receiving data to/from.

TCP Transmission control Protocol - Think of this as the way to ensure you got all of your data; all data is sent in packets, if you received all but one packet, you would not have received anything useful, depending on what you were downloading. So TCP checks every packet, and if one is missing it simply asks for that packet again, and puts it wherever it was "supposed" to have been recieved.

HTTP - HyperText Transfer protocol - think of this as the GPS for your computer, simply navigating your request of your web browser or game (if it wasnt changed from http) to the IP or "address" of the site in question.

I say all of this, because turning off your anti-virus and firewall programs is not a great idea, for playing games, this is the "easiest" way to avoid most all of the issues when downloading updates, maps, and playing the game itself... not the ONLY way.

Just be careful folks, simply by turning off your firewall, someone could get enough information to spoof your MAC address, copy your IP, and gain a TON of information about you, and/or other people who utilize your PC.

Have you ever had someone tell you they had their email "hacked" and they dont want you to open anymore emails from them? That is typically how they do it, they sniff enough information from your network, to spoof not only your network information, but your email header information as well. They really didnt hack the account, they are simply using the information obtained within your emails, and masquerading as you.

Should you decide you want to become more oriented in "GEEK SPEAK"

You can learn alot about the TCP/IP stack protocols here:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/433

Cheers!

Mike A!
Land O Lakes, FL
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 04:41:21 PM by mlakrid »

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 04:57:15 PM »
Mike that is great iinformation and certainly useful caution. The internet is full of lurking vandals today and they take the opportunity when the "hole" is exposed. Some of it is in quest of adventure, but a lot of it is intended for gain. So we as users have to be protective of all transactions.
The thieves of internet information are just waiting to take advantage of the daily user on the net.
Thanks for sharing the "Geek" view and in hopes that it may prevent a future misfortune for those who are not so knowledged.
Great to have a "GEEK" on board.

Chuck (30 year IBM veteran, aka old geek)

Offline Flynnme

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 05:26:05 PM »
 Well we finally found the problem and it wasnt the download or the unit, after reloading everything it was still no go, got a call from the store I bought the charts from and the saleman had been playing with the first chart I tried, couldnt get it to work in his lowrance but put a bristol bay chart in and it worked. I took the boat over and tried both southcentral alaska charts and no go but the bristol bay works great. 2 bad navionics sd cards out of the box. He called navionics and did all they told him to on my machine and a lowrance and finally confirmed that was the problem. Thanks for everyones help. Glad it wasnt the humminbird that was faulty. Couple of weeks Ill have the new chart and good to go.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo