Author Topic: "No chart" message / white screen with gridlines?  (Read 6093 times)

Offline Tr-196

• Unit(s): 998csi, 898csi
  • Accessories: Interlink
"No chart" message / white screen with gridlines?
« on: April 25, 2014, 01:32:00 PM »
For some reason on my 898csi I am getting a no chart message on my nav screen. The screen also goes back and forth between a white screen with gridlines, back to the navionics screen with contour lines. It also shows my position, and then it shows some old waypoints from another lake. I would greatly appreciate some help. I have this unit interlinked with my 998csi and this unit works fine.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Re: "No chart" message / white screen with gridlines?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 02:26:22 PM »
Tr-196,
Are both the 898c Si and 998c Si units using a Navionics mapping card or is this the base map that you are seeing this with?

Does this only happen when the 898c Si unit is zoomed way in or does it also happen when you zoom it out?

How are the units connected to a GPS Receiver?

What version software are you running in each unit?

Some of what you are seeing may be that the 898c Si unit is losing its connection to the InterLink.  Try swapping the connection cables, at the InterLink, around so each unit is plugged into the opposite port on the InterLink.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline Tr-196

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 08:09:42 AM »
Thank you for the response. I noticed that it does this when i zoom in to 20ft and 10ft. When i am at 50 ft. It shows my navionics chart. I am using one gps receiver for both units. Both units are updated with software version 6.740. I hope this helps.

Offline Tr-196

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 07:42:50 AM »
I was out yesterday and it did it again. When it would flash back to thw no chart screen, it would show a waypoint. When i looked up the waypoint, it showed my cursor and the waypoint in ecuador! I have no idea what is going on. Later on it stopped doing this and then started doing it again. Please help.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 03:17:26 PM »
Tr-196,
When you zoom in far enough you are beyond the data that is being supplied by the Navionics mapping card.  It will not show any map data at this point so you will only see any waypoints in that are along with a white background (or whichever Background color is selected) and Lat./Lon. gridlines.

Does it do this “flash back” when you are changing the zoom level or does it just do this all on its own?

How did you “look up the waypoint”?

Did you try swapping the InterLink port connections with the 998c Si unit?

Can you try testing your unit without the Navionics mapping card in it to see if the same thing happens or not?

Can you try direct connecting the GPS Receiver to the 898c Si unit to see if it stil happens?

Offline Tr-196

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 08:21:05 AM »
It does the flashback to" no charts" when i zoom to 20ft & 10ft. Is the screen suppose to always show overzoom? I looked up the waypoint on the the list of waypoints and it showed up on the little map to the right. I did swap the ports and it stopped flashing. I tried my friends interlink module and it seemed to work. I will test it again today to see how it works. The gps receiver is hooked up to the main unit on the dash (998csi). I did not hook it up to the 898. When i tried it without the navionics card it still did the flashback. When i check the interlink status, it shows the 898 as being locked and nothing for 998. Is this correct? Is the screen suppose to do the flashback inside 50ft even when i am in my garage? 

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 12:54:00 PM »
It sounds like your Navionics mapping card does not have any mapping data for the 10 and 20-foot zoom levels.
Yes, these are overzoom levels and so it will always be shown on the screen.
Was this Equadorian waypoint in your unit before or after you connected your 898 unit up to your friend’s InterLink module?
Do you realize that by connecting up your unit to your friend’s InterLink module, that you now have a copy of his waypoints and he has a copy of your waypoints – well at least the unlocked ones that is.  You may want to go in and clean all the Nav Data out of both units and your InterLink.

“When i check the interlink status, it shows the 898 as being locked and nothing for 998. Is this correct?”
It could be – all depending on how you have your units set up with the InterLink.

“Is the screen suppose to do the flashback inside 50ft even when i am in my garage?”
If you are meaning that the Chart View is jumping back and forth alternately showing the map and then the white screen with Lat./Lon. Lines, then yes this could be normal with your boat in a garage.  Do all GPS and related testing with the GPS Receivers outside in full view of the GPS satellites for any sort of valuable results.

Offline Tr-196

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 01:13:39 PM »
The overzoom level was showing up even when I zoomed way out, so I was just wondering if that's normal. The ecuador waypoint was on my original interlink module. My friend let me use a new interlink box, not his original with all his waypoints, so it was blank.

What does locking or unlocking the units accompish? Is it better to lock them or unlock them?

Is it better to have each unit on it's own gps receiver or should I continue to use one gps receiver?

I am taking my boat out this friday, so I will see how everything works.

Thank you again so much for your help. I really appreciate it. I spoke several times with a women at humminbird, and she was not nearly as helpful as you have been.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 02:44:31 PM »
The overzoom will go away if you zoom far enough outwards.

If you lock the unit it will not share any waypoints across the InterLink.  If you want to share waypoints you will need to make sure both units are unlocked.

Each unit with its own GPS Receiver installed as close over the transducer it is using as you can get it.  Better waypoint accuracy that way.

Offline Tr-196

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 04:19:48 AM »
Everything worked great! I think my interllink box was going bad. Once I changed the interlink box and hooked up both gps receivers, my 898 worked great! Thank you again so much for your help! I really appreciate it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo