Author Topic: ONIX10ci NT SI Combo to buy or not to buy?  (Read 5944 times)

Offline Mainer

ONIX10ci NT SI Combo to buy or not to buy?
« on: January 08, 2016, 09:29:10 PM »
Greetings,

Here's the situation. I work in the trades, so I work pretty hard for a buck. Needless to say I can't/don't want to squander my hard earned cash.

When I'm considering a major purchase, I do my homework with the goal of making the right purchase.

I'm seriously considering the purchase of a ONIX10ci NT SI Combo unit. However, it seems like where ever I go for information related to this unit, the reviews and feed back is usually less than stellar. The Hummingbird sales hype looks great but, I'm still wondering if this unit really works. Or, is it just plagued with problems right out of the box and on the water.

Any and all real life experience with this unit is truly appreciated.

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
Re: ONIX10ci NT SI Combo to buy or not to buy?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 11:35:08 PM »
ONIX still has a few minor bugs ...but is overall a very stable platform since the last major update ...

ONIX advantages are custom-ability; stellar Down Imaging, AutoChart Live, CHIRP capable, and enough processor for future expansion ...

If those items appeal to your needs ... ONIX is a good choice ..

Rickie

« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 11:36:15 PM by rnvinc »

Offline Mainer

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 09:43:00 PM »
rnvinc

Thank you for your reply to my initial posting.

Out of all of the viewers of my posting, you were the only one to write about your experience with the ONIX10ci NT SI Combo unit. While I truly respect your input, I also find it a bit concerning that there hasn't been any positive input from other viewers of my posting.

If the ONIX10ci NT SI Combo unit was a great product that was free of bugs, I'd expect a considerable amount of positive feed back, unfortunately that isn't the case.

As of right now, I'm inclined to sit on the fence, verses becoming a Hummingbird Beta tester with my hard earned cash.

Offline Bob B

• Unit(s): 1197c si, 1198c si
  • Software: 6.310, 6.490
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 12:41:41 AM »
There is no doubt that the Onix has superior imaging .... Some of the DI images are pretty amazing and the SI is good also ...... but SI is not that much better than the core series units.  The Onix is also easier to connect to NMEA.

When you can get about 3 Helix 10's for 1 Onix .... It is hard to cough up the money for the Onix.

If I were going to get all new today, it would be a Helix 10 DI and a 360 at the bow and a Helix 10 SI at the console....Heck you could also throw in another helix 9 basic unit at the console dedicated to mapping.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 12:43:21 AM by Bob B »
**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Offline ITGEEK

• Unit(s): 1198c -Team Watters SS - Lexerd SP
  • Software: 7.670
  • Accessories: XM Weather - Weathersense
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 09:07:27 AM »
I don't know anything about the ONIX, but I do know a little bit about how Humminbird works.
They are always wanting to beat the competition with new models.
Always striving to come out with something new.
Unfortunately, they put out models before the software is really stable, and fully tested.
I'd say, about 3 years after a model first comes out, the software finally catches up with it, and it is stable.
Of course, by the time the software has caught up to it, you'll be looking at the new
offerings. :-\

The thing is, I don't see what else anybody can come up with.
They now have side-imaging, down-imaging, 360-imaging, gps, maps, software to draw maps, recording and playback.
I think the market is tapped out for new ideas.

Does anybody think that anything new in the sonar world can be invented?

Offline Bob B

• Unit(s): 1197c si, 1198c si
  • Software: 6.310, 6.490
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 01:20:53 PM »
Have you seen Lowrance 3D structure scan or Garmin Panoptix ..... we are no where near maxed out on innovations.

The Humminbird Helix line has been out for a while now and there are no issues ..... better screen pixel density and brightness .... data overlay problem solved .... Autochart Live built in.......Seems they may be getting their act together on the new stuff.
**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Offline N9Phil

• Unit(s): Solix 15 SI - Onix10 CI SI - 1198 CSI
  • Accessories: 80Terova W/ i-Link -- 360
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 03:57:19 PM »
Mainer,  I have the Onix10 and I chose the touch screen because I like the idea of redundancy.  My last desktop computer has a touch screen and while I don't always use that function, there are times when I do.  The same thing applies for my Onix.  The Onix is not perfect however it is so much better that anything on the market at the time that I decided to buy it.  The Helix sounds like a great unit and when the Helix 12 becomes available it might be a great choice.  I use the transom 360 and the Terova I-Link with my Onix and this along with Smart Map function makes the Humminbird equipment the best option for me.  What ever unit you choose, I recommend that you get the largest screen that you can afford.  It is so much easier to see your screen  when it is larger,this becomes more apparent as you get older.  I do not know anyone that has an Onix who is willing to give them up.

Phil
Solix 15 SI  Onix10 CI SI - 1198 CSIAccessories:80Terova W/ i-Link -- Transom 360

Offline Mainer

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2016, 09:03:17 PM »
Greetings!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

This is the kind of input that's helpful with the decision making process for a purchase!

Mainer

Offline N9Phil

• Unit(s): Solix 15 SI - Onix10 CI SI - 1198 CSI
  • Accessories: 80Terova W/ i-Link -- 360
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 08:35:02 AM »
I was at a couple of Humminbird workshop seminars put on by Dr. Jason Halfen  over the weekend and they covered a great deal of information on Humminbird equipment.  I even got to actually see the new Helix 12.  This is a great piece of equipment.  There is quite a few videos on his web site and he has several DVDs that are outstanding.  A lot of the info provided on the videos can apply to other brands of depth finders other than Humminbird.  Check it out.

Phil

http://www.thetechnologicalangler.com/
Solix 15 SI  Onix10 CI SI - 1198 CSIAccessories:80Terova W/ i-Link -- Transom 360

Offline Mainer

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 08:12:22 PM »
N9Phil,

Thank you for the information. I'll follow through on your suggestion.

Mainer

Offline Keno

• Unit(s): 899
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2016, 10:16:09 PM »
I am in the same spot would like the onix 10 to connect to trolling motor and I pilot but having a  hard time finding lots of good things on the onix

Offline BRUKSHOT

• Unit(s): Looking at buying two Helix 12's
  • Software: not sure
  • Accessories: none yet
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2016, 08:47:35 AM »
Mainer...I too did a lot of research over the last couple of months on the Humminbirds.  I "almost" went with the Onix, but held off due to all the bugs that it still has.  I decided to go with the Helix 12's now.  They have everything I need.  Larger screen with higher pixel density than the Onix, less in cost, Autochart Live, brighter screen, plus so much more.  The Helix line is an updated version of the Core series units, and best of all...No Bugs!  I am setting up a Helix 12 SI on my console and a Helix GPS/Sonar on the bow.  Helix does not share mapping like the Onix does,"BUT", neither Onix nor Helix will share AutoChart Live either, so if you want to do your own mapping (I do), you will have to map off each unit anyway.  Hope this helps.  Bruk.

Offline Mainer

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2016, 07:44:04 PM »
Hello Bruk,

Thank you for your input related to the HB Onix. So far I see there are over 300 viewers of my initial posting/thread and less than a dozen responses. Of the responses, even fewer are actual HB Onix owners with real life experience.

If the Onix was as good as the HB marketing hype leads you to believe, I would think there would be an out pouring of positive feedback related to the Onix. Unfortunately, this is not the case regarding the Onix.

As much as I'd like to believe the Onix is a great machine, I have very serious reservations. This is due to the lack of significant positive feedback from Onix owners, and an abundance of dissatisfied Onix owner feedback.

The bottom line, like most of the members of this forum I work real hard for a buck. When I purchase an item I expect it to work. So, as of right now, I'm scratching the Onix off of my considered list.

As for the Helix lineup, I'll look into it.

Thanks

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo