Author Topic: New Onix,Lots of Questions  (Read 15313 times)

Offline Thermite

• Unit(s): Onix 10
New Onix,Lots of Questions
« on: June 27, 2014, 12:20:54 PM »
I've lingered here for some time. This is my first post, I had a 798 and it was simple. Now, I Have a New boat and I put a 112 terrova and an Onix 10 with a Lakemaster (I Pilot link). These are not so simple, among the many questions is using the i pilot link. I can get the unit to find the contour but I Can not get all 3 to work together to follow the contour. I'm not so sure that the unit is recognizing the LM card. I'd appreciate any information

Offline CarolC

• Unit(s): Onyx 8ci si , Onyx 10ci si
  • Software: 1.1
  • Accessories: lakeshore maps, ipilot link, e adaptor
Re: New Onix,Lots of Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 10:30:28 AM »
Maybe we can help each other as we go through the learning curve! We updated to onix and terrova to about as basic a set up as you can have. It is really difficult and so new, not  a lot out there to help. We are having the same issue!  Soon as you go to choose it- following the instructions  in lakemaster, using the right arrow key  it goes to next view. We are researching and trying everything- one thing we are wondering- onix is different now with 4 way switch, and seems like arrow key is just for changing view for the most part- we are going to try using the 4 way and try to select by toggling to the right, can't try till out on boat- but worth a shot  Also have sent messages out to several and posted on different sites. If I find something I will let you know. Have you tried updates, mine is not taking.

Offline Thermite

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 10:48:48 AM »
The updates to the remote have not taken for me either. I've got a 7 day stretch at work before i'll get back out on the boat to try again.
Keep me posted on your progress and maybe we can both get this figured out.

Offline CarolC

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 11:37:15 AM »
Great! I can't even get the onix unit to update- we have 2 and they are networked, it was suggested I dicconnect from network to try updates, may try that- did you do the update on the head unit?

Offline Thermite

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 12:28:05 PM »
Actually, I did get the unit to take an update. So far that is my only victory

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 02:50:44 PM »
Have either of you called the Humminbird Customer Resource folks about your issues?
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline CarolC

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 03:14:17 PM »
Greg- yes, and a little concerned, all the info I read on the web said to do head unit first for downloads and then do the others, when I called customer service the person told me to do the others first then the head units. I am hoping to call about the issue with lakemaster, but the update difference concerns me. Also, there are more than one update for the remotes and controllers and can not find information to know if I install them at same time or have to do seperately, and if so in what order.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 03:47:40 PM »
ccobb,
Normally you would install the unit software first but we have been seeing where this does not always work and so have had success with installing the i-Pilot Link software first and then the unit software.

The ONIX units use the i-Pilot Link files noted for use with the ONIX units.

Controller first, then Remote.  Personally I would have only the needed software update file on the SD card at any one time.

Offline CarolC

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 04:47:56 PM »
Thanks for the clarification, can I put both files for the controller on one card, and both updates for the remote on the same card- but not the card that the controller has? And is there a praticular order in which update to do on each? Is it better to disconnect from network first or do while connected.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2014, 01:09:26 PM »
ccobb,
There should only be one software update file that is to be used for the i-Pilot Link Controller if you have an ONIX unit.
There should only be one software update file that is to be used for the i-Pilot Link Remote if you have an ONIX unit.
You can put both of these files on the same SD card.

Update the Controller first, than the Remote.

The i-Pilot Link has to be connected to the unit you are using to update these with, so they must be connected to the network.  All other units should be turned off.

Offline CarolC

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2014, 02:04:44 PM »
Thanks so much, I had emailed hummingbird last night and that is what the sent back- headed out tonight do give it a go!  Thanks so much.

Offline CarolC

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2014, 10:23:33 PM »
Update: Still at a standstill-
Status of I link- It will not communicate correctly and we can not get to follow the contour. We can get to the point you select the direction of the route, but then it goes out of it. If you try to use the remote to go to a way point it is unable to. We have not checked all the different functions, but have been able to use the remote to cruise control and auto pilot. We read about the updates and tried the normal recommendation of updating head. The unit would read the card, we would chose the update and then it would show it was installing and say it was successful, but then the version number on the settings never changes. We have restored factory defaults on each unit when attempting this. After calling HB customer support and using this forum- it was recommended to do the controller, then the remote, then the head.  I put each update on a seperate sd card. It was recommended to only have one head on at the time of update. We put the motor down, turned on the remote, turned on the head, waited for it to connect, then inserted the sd card- the I link showed under network status -nothing happened. We tried several times, waiting at least 3-4 mins, tried both slots,  Then tried the other head. Then tried with both turned on. Then disconnected the ethernet from the network and attached to  the one head attached to motor, Finally to rule out bad sd card, tried the head update that we had unsuccessfully tried before, however it did read the card just like before- so the unit was reading sd cards, next tried the update for the remote since it was saved on a seperate card. Again nothing happened. So the head updated loads and will run but not update softwear, the other two will not boot up. Would appreciate any suggestions. Did notice each unit has different IP addresses. and everytime we have both units on, it says it has different network and wants to synch the network, which we do. Vacation starts Friday- first week we have had in a few years, and so hoping to get this going. Thank you.

Offline CarolC

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2014, 11:23:46 AM »
Jason Halfen suggessted that it is a softwear issue, that the 1.1 will not allow the updates, and need the 1.15. he also indicated the network needs update, however when tried to register, can not get it to register and HB customer support had indicated it did not need update.  Remote is showing 1.15 for it's softwear, but indicates it show the link controller is 0.000    on the head unit it shows Ilink is 1.13.    Being told have to update the controller then the remote and then the head, but that does not work as the unit will not recognize the softwear. When trying to update the head, it says it is installing but doesn't. Week long vacation planned to use  and no way to get help as HB customer support is off till monday. I think Jason is correct, it is softwear, but it seems to be endless cycle. Have spent several hours every day and all last weekend. Getting frustrated.

Offline CarolC

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2014, 12:10:22 AM »
 Dave ( our seller)  loaned  us a sd card with the onix download. We disconnected everything, went out on lake so not under roof, did the factory restore and then with just power and nothing else connected tried our sd card, it read the update, said installing and then immediately said it was successful, not updated. Then restored again used Dave's card and it took it and updated.   Did the other unit, same results, so now onix are both at 1.15. Tried to then do the Terrova controll unit,  The onix( again just put ethernet straight to onix, not network)  turned on remote, then powered on onix- it would not detect i link at all. Tried several times , tried putting network back- noticed both onix would not recognize each other now or i link   the ip address shows up in the screen to sync, but does not show up, or flashes in the network status and system status. Tried to reset network by powering all down and bringing back on line- nothing.   Ok with update on ethernet- I go to register product (have tired several times several different days) input serial number, and date of purchase, drop down menu for product does not work and when click to submit, it does not go. So how do I update? Also concerned that the download that was for our unit does not work, will the ones for control head and remote also have issues? When I called customer service before they had indicated the hub did not need updating, which I really think it does after the way it was acting tonight- Looking at info about the switch, looks like new software is out and needed- version6.180   ours is 4.190

Offline Bob B

• Unit(s): 1197c si, 1198c si
  • Software: 6.310, 6.490
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2014, 09:50:11 AM »
CarolC.......I feel your pain with the software problems.  I hope Humminbird appreciates your patience.

I have stuck with the old equipment and old software updates because of the failure of Humminbird to get their act together with the software..........I REALLY want to go with the ONIX and 360, but am getting worn down waiting for them to release a solid product.
I really like the innovative ideas from HB, but I am not going to spend any more money with them to buy an expensive unit that frustrates the crap out of me trying to get it working correctly.

I think management has it's head in the sand when it comes to understanding how bad the effect is of all these software problems are having on their (maybe previously) loyal customers.......They need to hire the best software developers in the world and pay them whatever they have to to keep them happy and rolling out bullet proof software.  This stuff is getting really complex, and the failure for them to step up in this area is about to ruin it for me.....I'd like to have this new technology, but I can get by with what I have til it dies.

I follow the forums a lot hoping to see evidence this is turning around.....but it just doesn't seem to be happening.  I may have to stay off the electronic forums for a while to keep this kind of crap from driving me nuts.

There is getting to be a lot of good hardware out there......The software is what it's all about.

Somebody send me an email if HB gets their software act together.

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Offline CarolC

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2014, 09:13:40 PM »
Bob B, wow, not what I wanted to hear!  :(  At this point we have laid out a very large amount of money and really limited on what it will do, not sure how to even get new softwear to the hub since it no longer sees it, and can't find way to get softwear, and the controller - I pilot can not be updated or the remote. My husband said almost the exact thing you did about finding the best software person and paying them what ever it takes!  Hope they get things together soon.

Offline Bob B

• Unit(s): 1197c si, 1198c si
  • Software: 6.310, 6.490
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2014, 09:18:42 PM »
Sorry for dumping my frustration with HB Software development on your thread....

I am sure they will resolve this for you.....Once you get a stable functionality, I wouldn't update again unless you have a VERY good reason..Just keep working with HB customer service.

The ONIX should be a great product once they get the issues resolved.
**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2014, 01:39:18 PM »
CarolC, your best option is to call the Humminbird Customer resource folks and get their help in getting this worked out.

Offline CarolC

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2014, 10:04:57 PM »
Update- thought I would let you know as you might have others that encounter the problem. Does seem to be software problems, and more than one. The first thing we veriified was that the softwear on myhumminbird did not work at all. They are having to look at what is going on with those. They sent copies of software to try, and had has back the onix back to a earlier version, we were able to again see all the units, but would not take the controller update- They had hoped to update the controller, remote, then go back to 1.15. After many trials and several trips back and forth to lake ( boat is on lift- well was, now home) we tried many things, including a controller version that they put together thinking it would work for sure - think they called it 2.05  Would not go on.  They then called Minkota who said they had to have 1.15- nothing else would work, so we reinstalled the 1.15- the units take the update, but again will not connect to the network afterwards. We have the boat at home, they want us to try to put the two heads together without the hub to see what happens, After that-I am really not sure. Feel like there is something in the 1.15 that interfers with the hub, hoping someone will be able to figure it out.  I can't help but think as more update to the onix and hub that others will also experience some issues, if my experience can shorten the time for others to figure out what to do, well at least it helps someone. The person at HB was very very helpful and   tried very hard, many calls, emails, and very pleasant to work with.  She tried so hard! If anyone has a similar setup that is working, would really like to talk to them.

Offline CarolC

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2014, 09:39:58 PM »
So happy that all is going well and everything working. HB support staff was awesome on getting this resolved.

Offline Thermite

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2014, 10:59:59 PM »
CarolC, does your follow the contour work now?

Offline CarolC

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2014, 08:40:42 AM »
Yes we did!  It is working. After getting all the softwear updated, even after a full power off and on, it did not work, however the next day, when we powered back on things started to work. We are really happy that things are all working!  It is really important to get the onix updated softwear, then the controller then the remote- We were so glad the HB customer service kept working to get us softwear that the unit would recognize.

Offline Thermite

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2014, 10:57:39 AM »
That is Great news

Offline CarolC

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2014, 09:01:22 PM »
Thanks Thermite, yes it is. It was really great to have it all working together! How are you doing on yours.

Offline Thermite

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2014, 09:26:31 PM »
I'm still struggling. Then again, it is my own doing. I really need to learn some patience .
I JUST WANNA FISH !
When I get back from work, I'm really going to dig into it. I may even call HB customer service.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo