Author Topic: Interlink Installation  (Read 14438 times)

Offline Dam Yankee

• Unit(s): Two 798 CI SI NVB
  • Software: 4.780
  • Accessories: Interlink, Weathersense
Interlink Installation
« on: March 14, 2010, 10:15:00 AM »
Hey all! Great forum and I have learned so much by just reading for the past couple weeks. Lots of great info here but as you can see I am a newb. Now that I am retired from the Army I am getting into some fishin and am installing 2 hew 798cisi NVB's on my boat and installing an interlink also.

My question is does it matter where the choke cables are located? Does it have to be connected first at the unit or can I put it last before the interlink?

The instructions are not slear on this.

thx in advance,

Tom

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
  • Unit(s): 1197c SI, 997c SI & 785c2
  • Software: 4.950 & 4.510
  • Accessories: Interlink & GRHA
Re: Interlink Installation
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 09:15:27 PM »
Tom,

Welcome to the forum.  We have grown quite a bit over the last year and look forward to having you here.

Now, I am not clear on the choke cables.  Which ones are you refering to?

Robert 
Humminbird Guru and Forum Administrator

Offline Dam Yankee

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 09:52:10 PM »
Thanks Robert. It looks as if the Interlink kit has an addon so to speak. It comes with 2 additional cables called choke cables. And only refers to them on the yellow sheet of paper included as a supplemental to the original instructions.

The yellow instructions refer to them as cable chokes. It says to to connect them to the COM port on the control head and the corresponding interlink port. If they are too short (they are only a few feet with a giant hard plastic ball in the middle) to utilize the the 10 and 20 foot cables included. Which I did.

My question was does it matter which end this cable choke is on. But, it looks as if this may be a new thing out so probably not a lot of folks have seen it yet. I installed on the interlink end but can't give a good report as one of my units goes into sim mode and says transducer not connected. Has to be a head unit problem as I installed the other one in the same mount adn no error messages.

Just tryin to work out the bug here on this unit. gonna do some searches to see if anyone else had the same problem.

thank you for the reply.

Tom

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 10:02:15 PM »
Tom,

Yes, this is new to me.  My interlink did not come with these. 

What it sounds like is the cables are used to cut down on interference from trolling motors and other RF interference.  I am sure they can be installed along any point of the cable between the control head and the Interlink.  If you have a trolling motor, then I would certainly use them.

If you could, please post a picture of these cables and maybe a scan of the yellow paper for others to reference.

Thanks,

Robert

Offline Dam Yankee

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 11:24:29 PM »
Will do. A scan of the instructions at least. I don't have a digital camera that works right now..lol!

Offline Dam Yankee

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 11:32:45 PM »
Hope I get this right the first time. Here is a pic of the instructions. the cable chokes look exactly as illustrated.

ila_rendered

Offline Dam Yankee

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 11:36:52 PM »
Still makes me mad though that this one head unit is just givin me a transducer not connected message and I swapped the heads and have it narrowed down to the head unit. I am at a stand still with one unit but, am still goin fishin tomorrow!

Offline Jolly Roger

• HB Addicted
  • Unit(s): HELIX 9 G3N, 998Cx SI, 959DI
  • Software: latest (mostly)
  • Accessories: AS GR50, custom towfish and: A boat!!
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 08:26:45 AM »
Dam Yankee,
reset both units to "factory defaults" and check if the problem still occurs. Maybe the bad one has just a "bad" setting somewhere.

Concerning the chokes: If the installation instruction says to connect them to the control head, I would connect them there and not on the interlink first and then the extension cable to the control head. Maybe there's a reason HB recommends to do so.

My 2 cents

Harry
YES,......
WE SCAN!

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 12:36:13 PM »
Good point Harry! 

Offline Dam Yankee

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 08:12:57 PM »
Thanks Harry. I am only workin with the one unit it seems for now so I still don't have the interlink connected yet. Will switch the cable choke as reccomended before connecting.

I also did a reset to default and even reloaded the software on it. Same thing when I went to bed last night. Out on the water today I put it up front and lo and behold it powered up correctly and worked fine until.........................I nade a run to anothe rfishin hole and I powered it back up and same error message again. I immediately grabbed the other one and swapped em out and it worked fine in that mount. I am gettin aggravated. Got to be something in the head unit for sure though.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 10:51:42 AM »
I can get you guys a pdf file of that yellow sheet about the Choke Cables (it will be against a white background though).  The choke cables we added to the InterLink some time last year (around July I believe).  This is for those who have trolling motor interference with their Si units.  They do not have to be installed if you are not having any interference but can be installed in place of the ten or twenty-foot InterLink connection cable if you don’t need that much cable to connect a unit to the InterLink.  These take the place of having to hand wrap the ferrite rings onto these cables (like the molded in ferrite does on the PC-11 power cable) and so need to be installed as close to the unit as is possible so that would mean plugging it into the ACCY-COM connector on the AS-YC cable if you are running an external GPS Receiver.  For an internal GPS unit you should connect the choke cable straight up to the COM port of each of your units as you do not need to use the AS-YC.

Sounds like maybe something did not get tuned quite right on that second 798ci Si NVB unit you have.  It should recognize that there is a transducer with a temperature probe connected to it and work correctly.  I know that you swapped units around on the trolling motor transducer but did you also try this unit on both transducers?  I have a work around for you: go into the Setup menu tab and look for the “Demonstration” menu and set it to “Off”.  This will make the unit start up and go into the normal operation mode even if it does not detect that a transducer is connected to it or not.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2010, 11:17:31 AM »
Just realized I did not include the choke cable drawing…   ::)  ;D

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline Dam Yankee

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2010, 07:21:59 PM »
Thanks for the cable choke information Greg. Guess I didn't read the instructions quite right but, will switch the bow unit to the proper way before connecting the interlink system together.

As for my 2nd 798, I did try it in both positions bow and console and same results. It only worked correctly that one time. I have had problems with it before I ever mounted it. I didn,t have time to mount everything so I decided to get the downimaging update 4.780. I downloaded it and loaded but it stopped and said I had an error and it went into a Matrix menu with green letters that had about 9 menu selections. Humminbird emailed me the exact same file from the exact same webpage. I loaded it and it seemed fine until I tried to use it.

Now after sayin all that, I just tried your suggestion and Bingo! It does not display transducer not connected and it seems like it is wotking correctly. Unfortunately, I will not make it out on the water again anytime soon so won't know for sure till then. I hope I don't have anymore trouble out of this unit but, I do feel confident that humminbird will get me another one or fix if I have a problem again with the same unit. Thank you for the help. It is greatly appreciated.

Tom

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo