Author Topic: Transferring Waypoints From Contour Elite to Onix  (Read 4972 times)

Offline nwifishnut

• Unit(s): Onix 10 si, Onix 8ci
  • Software: 2.3
  • Accessories: I-Pilot Link,ASGPS HS,Lakemaster WI v5.0
Transferring Waypoints From Contour Elite to Onix
« on: July 01, 2014, 01:54:46 PM »
Greg,

I have purchased Humminbird Contour Elite and am attempting to transfer waypoints created in Elite which are .HWR files to an SD card and then to Humminbird PC and then to the the Onix 10 via another SD card.  (By the way, I really like Contour Elite...incredible detail vs paper maps and prior chips)  The transfer via the sd card to HB PC was successful and the transfer from HB PC to the SD card creates a folder on the card named "matrix".  Problem is that when I attempt to transfer the waypoints in matrix from the card to the Onix, the Onix doesn't recognize "matrix".  I cannot open "matrix" by double clicking on it in my computer so I don't know what is in it.  I do know there is data in there because the properties function indicates that the card contains data.  The Onix 10 users manual states that the navigation data must be in the .gpx format to upload it into the Onix.  Presumably the is the conversion HB PC did with the .HWR  data from Contour Elite, but the Onix acts like the data doesn't exist.  Any help would be appreciated.

Offline nwifishnut

Re: Transferring Waypoints From Contour Elite to Onix
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 02:29:17 PM »
Greg,

Some additional information.  I tried to open "matrix" again and was successful.  There is a file in "matrix" named Data.HWR.  Don't know if HP PC mislabeled it or if the conversion from hwr to gpx didn't occur.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 01:39:04 PM »
nwfishnut,
The ONIX is a different animal and does not take the waypoint files like the other Humminbird units have been doing for years.  As you stated: the ONIX unit needs the data in a *.GPX file format.  Once the waypoint data is in HumminbirdPC; highlight the waypoint file name and perform a “Save As…” and save a copy of the file (by default it will be in the *.GPX file format) to the root of the SD card (not in a folder).
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline nwifishnut

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 11:22:54 AM »
Greg,

Thanks!  That worked & the waypoints are loaded in the Onix. 
I did the Onix/I Pilot Link test run fishing trip day before yesterday and am elated.  Fishing sucked due to post cold front conditions, but the HB/Minnkota hardware worked like a charm.  While I had some initial difficulty with getting this system setup, with your help and the great assistance from HB customer service, I am up and running.   
Love the Onix 10 SI/DI clarity & the Lake Master chart detail.  Also, the I Pilot Link feature is awesome. I can do hands free trolling with much greater boat control and better bait presentation. It is really going to change & improve the way I fish! 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo