Author Topic: Waypoints to SD card?  (Read 10582 times)

Offline Stonewall

• Unit(s): 363, Matrix 67, 1197c si
Waypoints to SD card?
« on: January 09, 2011, 08:08:08 AM »
Hello all this is my first post here. My problem is that I bought the 1197c SI a couple of weeks ago from BPS along with a Navionics chip. I loaded the chip in the left card slot and tried to put a SD card from my camera in the right side but it wouldn't go in. It turns out that the right side slot is damaged and the card will not go in it. Just to make sure I had the right SD card I tried the Navionics chip and it will not go in the slot either. I have had the unit on the water for a total of 7 days and have marked just over 40 waypoints on it. I bought a 3 year protection plan from BPS so no matter what happens to the unit BPS will replace it. I am planning on taking it back to BPS but want to save my waypoints on a SD card before I do to save me the trouble of riding around in the river and marking all of the barges, trees, undercuts, and humps I have saved in the week I have run the unit.

Offline Jolly Roger

• HB Addicted
  • Unit(s): HELIX 9 G3N, 998Cx SI, 959DI
  • Software: latest (mostly)
  • Accessories: AS GR50, custom towfish and: A boat!!
Re: Waypoints to SD card?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 09:01:25 AM »
Hello Stonewall and welcome to the forum,

have you already tried to save the waypoints to the SD card by sticking the card into the slot where you had your Navionic chip?
Hit the Menu Button twice and go to the Navigation Tab, scroll down to "export all navigation data" and save them by pressing the right cursor button.  I'm not sure if that works, because my 981 doesn't have a second SD card slot.

If that doesn't work, you can download your Navigation Data directly to your PC with the PC connection set:

http://store.humminbird.com/products/323024/AS_PC2

If you don't have a serial port on you PC, you need a Serial to USB adapter as well.

http://store.humminbird.com/products/322963/AS_USB

You don't have to buy this from Humminbird directly. These adapters are also available in computer stores.

Since you have a 1197, you would also need a decent power source, because the power cable which comes with the PC connection set might not provide enough juice to run your 1197 long enough. There are two terminals for 9V block batteries on the cable, but the 9V batteries don't have enough capacity.

You can use the cable nevertheless: Cut off the terminals and hook up the red wire to the positive (+) pole and the black wire to the negative (-) pole of a 12V motorcycle battery. Make sure you use a 3 Amp in line fuse on the red wire.

Hope this helps!

Regards and good luck / Harry

EDIT: If you want o download the waypoints directly to your PC, you must have HumminbirdPC installed on you PC. HumminbirdPC can be downloaded from the Humminbird website:
Hit the "Support" tab and scroll down to "Product registration". Fill out the form and send it. Then you have created your own account at Humminbird and you can download HumminbirdPC from there.

EDIT II: Another thought that I just had: Is there someone near you who has two interlinked units on his boat? Maybe you can pass your waypoints with the interlink to another unit with a working SD card slot.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 10:19:33 AM by Jolly Roger »
YES,......
WE SCAN!

Offline Stonewall

• Unit(s): 363, Matrix 67, 1197c si
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 02:25:00 PM »
Thanks for the reply and great advice Jolly Roger! I will try the menu button next time I am on the water. I need to get the PC connection set so I will be able to download updates to the unit as they come available.

Offline Jolly Roger

• HB Addicted
  • Unit(s): HELIX 9 G3N, 998Cx SI, 959DI
  • Software: latest (mostly)
  • Accessories: AS GR50, custom towfish and: A boat!!
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 05:41:11 PM »
Anytime Stonewall!

You don't have to get the PC connection kit for the updates.
You can update your unit via SD card as well. Just download the update from the download section here or from your account at Humminbird. Then transfer the updates to your SD card. Before you update the unit, RESTORE TO FACTORY DEFAULT (very important!) and turn the unit off. Turn your unit on again and insert the SD card with the update into your unit.
Answer the first question with yes and the second question with no. The update process will run through automatically, don't interrupt this process!

After the update is finished, the unit restart automatically and your good to go.

Best regards / Harry
YES,......
WE SCAN!

Offline davefrank41

• Unit(s): 1197, 788
  • Accessories: interlink
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 10:10:37 PM »
That brings up a good question for me.  Does it matter which SD card slot that you put the cards into?  Can you put a lake chart card in either slot, or another card to save waypoints or images in either slot?
Thanks.

Offline stillbear

• Stillbear
  • Unit(s): 997c SI - 1198 c SI - HDS-10
  • Software: 5.840 5.700- 4.0
  • Accessories: Barometer ,GRHA , 8gb 30 mb/ extreme III
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 06:31:01 AM »
Dave you can use either slot for whatever. :) Gary

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo