Author Topic: What do you see?  (Read 3479 times)

Offline kipbass

• Unit(s): 898c Si
What do you see?
« on: July 10, 2013, 07:47:02 PM »
After moving the transducer, I've been going picture crazy. Please tell me if this is random junk or fish.

I know what this is..

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
Re: What do you see?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 10:29:24 PM »
Pix 1 and 2 look like random stuff on the bottom ...

Pic 3 looks like a rotted stump..

Pic 4 looks like random stuff on bottom and fish in scattered fish in the water column (SI and 2d)..

Pic 5 looks like a stakebed in the zoom box and a small school of fish at the bottom of the SI but showing in left and right beam right where dark water column ends..

Pic 6 looks like random stuff on bottom...

Pic 7 looks like you just crossed a ditch or small creek with scattered fish in the left hand side in the creek ...and a ball of shad in the very top right SI right where dark water column ends ...

I would suggest trying some shorter SI Range distances to get the target echoes to show a little larger...

Rickie

Offline kipbass

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 07:04:12 AM »
Thanks for the information.
I thought 6 was fish and 7 was random junk. I need more practice.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 07:27:45 PM by kipbass »

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 09:35:22 PM »
You could be exactly correct in pic 6 & 7 ...

Sometimes it's difficult to tell fish hugging the bottom from small hard objects attached to the bottom....

This is why I suggested trying some shorter SI Ranges....this, in effect zooms everything in the display (at a shorter range of course) ...

Sometimes this allows the user to see distinguishing features of the relation of the shadow with the echo target ...

If the shadow looks "attached" to the echo target...it is most likely structure...(like in your pic 3 of the stump in the zoom box)...

If the shadow is not "attached" to the echo target...it is most likely fish...

Notice in the follwing screenshot how the shadow of these bottom hugging fish are spaced a small distance from the echo target (fish)...

And just to be noted...sometimes it's just not possible to definitively say if a "white echo target" is fish or structure...

But shorter SI Range scanning sometimes helps in seeing if the echo target is "attached" or "not attached" to the bottom....

I'm curious...what is the structure in pic 5...??

Rickie
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 09:40:45 PM by rnvinc »

Offline kipbass

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 10:54:26 PM »
Pic 5 is a barge or something like a small house boat with hand rails, I believe. A dive shop owner sank it and uses it to teach diving to students. It has an attached buoy, so I knew it was there. I should ask the owner what the dimensions are that way I can get an idea of a size scale when scanning. The next outing, I'll do as you suggested and shorten the scanning width. I'm a newbie to this, so any help is appreciated. I have looked at many Doug V videos and some pics in the gallery here. Nothing like the real thing though. The only problem is, if I find fish. How do I know they're bass, and how can I get them to bite! ;D

Offline sjefsrafsern

• neptune og nemo`s fiskeside
  • Unit(s): 898/1198
  • Software: 6.740
  • Accessories: digitroll 5 ts cannonlink
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 09:49:33 AM »
also so try sharpnes contrast and sense and maybe different si colors. this somtimes can make the fish more visible. :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal