Author Topic: 1199 navigation tab not showing head up  (Read 5082 times)

Offline whizkids

• Unit(s): 1199CI HD SI KVD COMBO
  • Software: 6.840
  • Accessories: Ethernet, remote GPS
1199 navigation tab not showing head up
« on: June 28, 2017, 10:11:11 PM »
When I select head up as the option on my nav tab I get COG instead.
I am fairly competent on this unit but I can not figure where the COG is coming from as the three options are: North up, head up and course up.

anyone else have or have had this issue?

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
Re: 1199 navigation tab not showing head up
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 10:09:55 PM »
Head Up works just like Course Up when there is no AS GPS HS antenna connected to the unit  ...

Is there am AS GPS HS antenna connected  ...??

Rickie

Offline whizkids

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 05:51:21 AM »
Yes there is but I usually have this unit use internal GPS. This unit is the unit at the trolling motor. So you are saying I should select the external GBS? That GPS is located at the back of the boat. If I select it the structure I am locating will be off by 17 ft. ( the length of the boat) I have had the units for 3 years and have always been able to select head up until this week. COG shows every thing backwards. Very annoying. I suppose I will ave to use course up.  I will change the GPS to the external to see if it then shows head up. Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 06:00:53 AM by whizkids »

Offline whizkids

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 10:02:15 AM »
I have two identical units on the boat. I changed the bow mount to use the external GPS. It still does not give me head up. When I select head up I still get COG course over ground. The other unit is on the console and it operates properly whether I use the external GPS or it's internal GPS. My remote GPS is a AS GPS HS precision GPS + Compass.

Offline rnvinc

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 09:27:48 PM »
Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question as you mention "when I select head up on the Nav tab I get COG"  ...

Where are you actually "getting COG" - but expecting Head Up ..?? In a readout box  ...??

Rickie
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 09:31:13 PM by rnvinc »

Offline whizkids

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2017, 06:21:35 AM »
Under the nav tab, I select chart orientation. There are 3 options.
course up - when selected course up is displayed on the map and the map maintains that orientation
North up - when selected North up is displayed on the map and the map maintains that orientation
Head up - when selected COG and the map maintains that orientation.

Two identical units with the same software version 7.790.
Console unit functions properly when using GPS in the head or the remote GPS.
Bow unit does not function properly.

I noticed the bow unit malfunction on 22nd. Up until then it functioned properly. I thought perhaps I had inadvertently changed a setting but now I am thinking it is a unit malfunction. I updated my navionics cards on the 21st but can'y see why that would affect this.

I am been emailing tech support. They can't seem to understand the issue so I am going to call them wed the 5th. The email and 2 day wait for a reply and then they tell me how to select basic chart orientation.

I have reset to factory defaults and then set the bow unit to exactly the same settings as the console unit. That did not solve the problem.

I just do not understand how a map orientation can be set to a setting that is not an option unless it is a default because of another setting I have selected. Such as GPS selection as you suggested.

In fact you are correct. It is the GPS selection. It is the 2D selection that must be changed to the external  GPS to get head up displayed. As I typed the previous sentence it just occurred to me to change all the settings to the external, then I changed the 2D the screen flipped.

Thanks for your help.

Offline rnvinc

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2017, 09:38:37 PM »
Does this mean it is now operating as you expect it should  ...??

Rickie

Offline whizkids

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2017, 06:16:54 AM »
Not exactly.
The console unit does not go to COG  when the internal GPS is selected.
The bow unit will change from to COG to head up when I select external GPS. I do not understand why the 2 units react differently.

The manual indicates when boat is stationary that course up is provided by COG. It does not say that about Head Up.

I can't get back on the water until Monday.  I get a better GPS signal there. I have found head up to be the best selection for me when searching for GPS marked structure.

I am going to switch the units and place  the console unit on the bow. I will see if switching unit location affects the heads up issue.

Offline whizkids

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2017, 08:48:42 AM »
I switched the units. The bow location will not display head up when the internal GPS is selected.
The console location will display head up regardless of which GPS location is selected. The console location is designated as the #1 station so regardless of which unit is there it will be the #1 unit an will always default to the external GPS.

So I guess the system is working as designed and I must have been on external GPS previously when trying to pin point cover.

Offline Boots

• Unit(s): 998,788, purchasing twin 1199's
  • Software: NA
  • Accessories: Thru Hull trans??
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2017, 09:25:02 AM »
My understanding :) if a ext. antenna is used it will auto go to in if pulled in to unit.  Now internal antenna a lot of time will not work on console due to dash set up.  You can go into menu and then Nav Screen and select the coarse display you prefer. Coarse Up which I like, Coarse North or Coarse Ahead. Hope this helps you. Menu twice, right arrow to Navigation and down to set what you want. If not there go to set-up. With out unit in front of me hard to remember. It can be set, just like which transducer with can really be a fire drill ;D ;D

Offline whizkids

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2017, 12:03:11 PM »
You are correct. I like head up (course ahead) just because that is what I have always used. On the bow unit I  prefer the units internal GPS for accuracy purposes. My external is at the rear of the boat. There the unit defaults to Course over Ground when head up is selected. I originally thought I had screwed up a setting but now know that is how the unit is supposed to work. Therefore if I want accuracy on the bow , with head up, I will need to relocate my external GPS and tie it directly into the bow unit. I think it best I learn to use course up. :-\

Offline Boots

• Unit(s): 998,788, purchasing twin 1199's
  • Software: NA
  • Accessories: Thru Hull trans??
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2017, 03:18:11 PM »
Coarse Up or Ahead is great for all lakes and inland navigation, I prefer coarse ahead, I know what's up next.  Coarse North is good for off shore and very big water navigation.  Hope you get it set the way you want. Remember when and update is done it goes back to factory reset.. I would recommend to make a snap shot of all your setting on a cell and file.  It can me a MF getting back to Your Choice on Setting. Everybody has there own.  Firm believer in KISS  Keeping It Simple Stuipd :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo